Ask a question

Posted Apr 14, 2013
    11:00:51 PM
    View profile
    Sign the petition for AT&T U-Verse to improve their HD picture quality.
    Edited by Taylarie on Apr 15, 2013 at 5:55:31 AM

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Need I say more?

No one should have to pay an extra $10 a month when other providers offer vastly superior picture quality for no extra cost.  Do something about it.  AT&T U-Verse has had inferior picture quality since it was first launched.  Clearly they plan to do nothing about their poor picture quality seeing it's been over 7 years and little to no improvement has been made.

Sign the petition for AT&T U-Verse to improve their HD picture quality.

[ Edited ]
    37 replies
    (3) Me too
    (3) Me too
    View all replies
    (37)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 15, 2013 7:06:45 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

Comcast charges $15 extra a month for HD. I'm not sure about Time Warner but I know they also charge more for HD channels.

Dish and DirectTV don't directly charge more for HD, but they charge for a DVR service which AT&T does not.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
    PSN: americangame
    Steam:americangame
    When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Sign the petition for AT&T U-Verse to improve their HAD picture quality.

2 of 38 (3,722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 15, 2013 8:20:17 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Many cable cos charge for the first box. If you want DVR, that's extra.

AT&T include DVR fee in base price, but HD is extra.

I agree that the HD quality is sub-par. My neighbor bugs me all the time to get a promo. She says the sales office is good at handing them out.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Sign the petition for AT&T U-Verse to improve their HD picture quality.

3 of 38 (3,684 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 15, 2013 9:00:22 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

DRN94 wrote:

Need I say more?

No one should have to pay an extra $10 a month when other providers offer vastly superior picture quality for no extra cost.  Do something about it.  AT&T U-Verse has had inferior picture quality since it was first launched.  Clearly they plan to do nothing about their poor picture quality seeing it's been over 7 years and little to no improvement has been made.

I find the U-Verse HD picture on the televisions at my house to be excellent, especially at night. It all depends on your distance from the VRAD (Video Ready Access Device), the area, the type of cable you have in your house, etc.

Why have you stayed with U-Verse for over seven years if you are not pleased with the quality of the HD picture?

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

4 of 38 (3,672 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 15, 2013 9:43:58 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

UV has barely been live foir 7 years.  AND I doubt that the OP was an early adopter.

At any rate, I think that HD fees that are being charged are no longer a true technology fee (i.e. the money is no longer ised for infrastructure) and are now more of a profit model.  Just my opinion.

5 of 38 (3,646 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 15, 2013 12:00:14 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

dwinth wrote:

DRN94 wrote:

Need I say more?

I find the U-Verse HD picture on the televisions at my house to be excellent, especially at night. It all depends on your distance from the VRAD (Video Ready Access Device), the area, the type of cable you have in your house, etc.

Why have you stayed with U-Verse for over seven years if you are not pleased with the quality of the HD picture?

Distance from the VRAD is irrilevant if there is a solid error-free signal coming to the RG.

Properly installed coax should provide the same HD quality as ethernet cable installs.  Personally I have an ethernet/patch cables install and don't have to worry about any coax problems (the one true advantage of ethernet/patch cable).

On Uverse, the size of the TV will be more relevant.  I have a 42" Panasonic plasma and feel I have a very good HD PQ, but a larger TV might just not have as good HD PQ due to artifacts in the image being enlarged. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
    Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
    Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
    I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

6 of 38 (3,610 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 15, 2013 2:31:00 PM
    (0)
    Explorer
    Edited by DRN94 on Apr 15, 2013 at 2:31:34 PM

Even on the 32" 1080p TV and 22" 1080p TV, not just the 46", the artifacts are extremely noticeable.  Even at the furthest opitmal viewing distance, you can notice the lack of detail and pixelation.  A friend of mine has Comcast and his HD is crisp and relatively flawless compared to U-Verse.  It appeared to be clear and defined, not macroblocked and covered in digital noise. 

There is no reason on earth a company around for this long should be able to get away with having sub-par quality.  There should be an industry standard that all service providers must adhear to before they label their programming as "HD".

[ Edited ]
    7 of 38 (3,556 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 15, 2013 11:24:28 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by preferred user on Apr 15, 2013 at 11:25:34 PM

I have Dish for TV HD P.Q. is very good that's why I  keeep them for TV . Pushing a triple play or TV and internet 

through POTS lines for the last mile on FTTN setup invites too many problems for HD picture quality 

IMO .However their may be some close to a Vrad where it is OK YMMV. 

The cosrs for Dish TV and U verse internet when promotional expires ends up about the same as an equivalent

U verse bundle. So I stayed put with Dish ..  

Dish charges 10.00 a month for HD service and $7.00 a month for additional HD recievers .

no affil. 

[ Edited ]
    8 of 38 (3,472 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 16, 2013 8:28:56 PM
    (0)
    Explorer

I've had all the services recently . DISH, DIRECTV, COMCAST, WOW are all really very good with HD PQ. U-verse comes in a distant last. It is not even in the same class with the others in HD PQ> 

9 of 38 (3,373 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 16, 2013 8:42:04 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

guest wrote:

I've had all the services recently . DISH, DIRECTV, COMCAST, WOW are all really very good with HD PQ. U-verse comes in a distant last. It is not even in the same class with the others in HD PQ> 

You stated that you would switch to Comcast this past March 24. It sounds like you like to switch providers often since you stated that you have recently had Dish, Direct-TV, and Comcast along with U-Verse. It sounds like no provider actually pleases you.

10 of 38 (3,364 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 17, 2013 12:11:49 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

DRN94 wrote:

Even on the 32" 1080p TV and 22" 1080p TV, not just the 46", the artifacts are extremely noticeable.  Even at the furthest opitmal viewing distance, you can notice the lack of detail and pixelation.  A friend of mine has Comcast and his HD is crisp and relatively flawless compared to U-Verse.  It appeared to be clear and defined, not macroblocked and covered in digital noise. 

There is no reason on earth a company around for this long should be able to get away with having sub-par quality.  There should be an industry standard that all service providers must adhear to before they label their programming as "HD".

I have great HD, great detai and very, very little pixelization under my viewing conditions:

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma w/an anti reflective screen and 480hz sub field drive. I use 4 different TV picture settings (3 customized, 2 for lightening dark shows/scenes) on HDMI. I sit at the far viewing distance (3 x diagonal distance-10.5') as that's the way my apartment lays out. All cat5e/ethernet patch cable install.

Essentially the artifacts I see are 'football grass' slight movement (1080i) and increasingly fewer backgrounds 'moving slightly'.

In sports, on Uverse, 720p Networks(FOX, ABC/ESPNs) tend to be better than 1080i Networks (CBS, TNT, TBS, all NBC channels) due to the fact the 1080i Networks need 10-20% more bandwidth to be equivalent to 720p. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

11 of 38 (3,342 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 17, 2013 6:26:15 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

DRN94 wrote:

I have a 60" Samsung Plasma and a viewing distance of about 10' and I have excellent HD quality.  Even up close.  I'm on my 3rd install of UVerse (2 apartments and now a house) and have always had great quality.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

12 of 38 (3,312 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 26, 2013 1:41:11 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

Where do I sign?

13 of 38 (3,098 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 26, 2013 11:56:42 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

PeterAlt wrote:

Where do I sign?

The link has been removed because it's SPAM!

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

14 of 38 (3,043 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 26, 2013 12:20:52 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

I'm not sure why....but my hardwired box seems to have a better pic quality than my wireless box. Has anyone else experienced this?

15 of 38 (3,033 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 27, 2013 3:35:20 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Waste of time

16 of 38 (2,993 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 11:21:55 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    It will improve again, in two years, since newer transcoders are being introduced out to the providers, and then in about five years, you will see 4k transcoders being put in the racks by providers.

I have no problem with the HD quality. Calibrate the hdtv set properly, and not have one of the models that is just pure junk, any picture will look good, once you calibrate the settings for picture.

The only pure complaint that people still have, is the compression artifacts during confetti drops and especially during the Olympics during swim competitions.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

17 of 38 (2,922 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 2:57:42 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

I calibrated my tv when I first got it.  I have noticed that some networks/channels HD looks better than others.  And our local network affiliates HD improves greatly during prime time.  YCMV has been my experience with HDTV.  I also have an OTA antenna connected so I can compare the pic quality between Uverse and OTA.  There are times when the difference is greater than others.  But I am very pleased with the over all quality of Uverse HD.  YRMV.

18 of 38 (2,905 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 2:59:31 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    I started using the THX app for the iPhone to do my calibrations. You do still have to make some minor adjustments after you are done.

As for OTA to UVerse, in our area, I would not even look at OTA as better, since our CBS & ABC ownership could care less how the PQ looks to the customer.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

19 of 38 (2,901 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 3:09:32 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

gregzoll_1 wrote:
    I started using the THX app for the iPhone to do my calibrations. You do still have to make some minor adjustments after you are done.

As for OTA to UVerse, in our area, I would not even look at OTA as better, since our CBS & ABC ownership could care less how the PQ looks to the customer.

Have you noticed that the HD on the big 3 networks improves during prime time and on the weekend major sporting events?

20 of 38 (2,902 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 4:14:48 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Actually here in metro Detroit, CBS/NBC still suffer some 1080i artifacts in fast movements. Smiley Wink

Chris

21 of 38 (2,910 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 4:29:57 PM
    (0)
    Professor

RCSMG wrote:

gregzoll_1 wrote:

Have you noticed that the HD on the big 3 networks improves during prime time and on the weekend major sporting events?

Actually gets worse with CBS & ABC in our market area, because of Sinclair who owns the ABC affiliate, and Nexstar that owns the CBS have a really bad habit of making everything look bad, whether it is sporting events, or regular broadcasting.

The news for the ABC channel is so soft during broadcast, it does not matter if you are OTA, Satellite, U-Verse, Comcast, nothing will make the PQ better.  Sinclair has done something wrong with the outbound signal from the studio to the transmitter, then to the VHO in Decatur, IL.

CBS it is so grainy, that the picture has so much noise in it, it shows even worse during sporting events.  I have compared between both OTA & U-Verse, and even Comcast, that Nexstar has done something with the compression on their outbound.  People have complained multiple times to the management and even the engineers, that they will not change things.

22 of 38 (2,906 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 4:34:12 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by gregzoll_1 on Apr 28, 2013 at 4:42:19 PM

I am watching Axs Concerts:  Stagecoach, right now, and looking at the stream in UVR, it is showing at least a 5.3meg stream.  Probably check again during the next set starting at 7:30.  I know that during Rocklahoma last year, Axs/HD-Net was pushing at least a 12meg stream.  You could tell in the quality of the broadcast, because it was Blu-Ray quality.

Right now, it is pretty soft in some shots, so you can definitely tell the difference between taped & live broadcasts on channels like Axs, which seems to push a pretty high stream out to providers during live events, so that you get the best quality, but then pull back during taped episodes.

UFC now on Axs, it is a higher bit-rate, so it looks really good.  So as they always say, your mileage may vary.

[ Edited ]
    23 of 38 (2,901 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 5:30:06 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

mibrnsurg wrote:

Actually here in metro Detroit, CBS/NBC still suffer some 1080i artifacts in fast movements. Smiley Wink

Chris

I am here in Detroit and I haven't experienced that in fast moving images.  Maybe it varies with what side of town you live on.  Or maybe your zip code.

24 of 38 (2,861 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 5:30:35 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

I'm watching Stagecoach on AXS too and it looks fabulous even coming up at 5.5M on Realtime, even though a 1080i Network.  No fast movements so no 1080i artifacts. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

25 of 38 (2,857 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 5:32:25 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

I was watching the Mecum auction on Veloc and it looks very good every time I watch.

26 of 38 (2,855 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 5:34:00 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

RCSMG wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

I am here in Detroit and I haven't experienced that in fast moving images.  Maybe it varies with what side of town you live on.  Or maybe your zip code.

Did you finally get HD, RC, or basing that on the SD image of the HD channel?  If the latter, you might not notice them, but they are there (just think the Olympics/football on NBC & CBS). Smiley Very Happy

Chris

27 of 38 (2,851 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 5:37:26 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert
    Edited by RCSMG on Apr 28, 2013 at 5:38:34 PM

I have had HD service for about 2 months now.  I actually got a really good promo.  For an additional $4 a month I get the 24 internet speed and free HD for a year.Smiley Surprised  I didn't know that had anything like this.   At the end of the year I can go back to what I had.

I have never commented on HD picture quality when I didn't have it.  FYI.

[ Edited ]
    28 of 38 (2,857 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2013 5:55:00 PM
    (0)
    Professor

mibrnsurg wrote:

I'm watching Stagecoach on AXS too and it looks fabulous even coming up at 5.5M on Realtime, even though a 1080i Network.  No fast movements so no 1080i artifacts. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Next week is the three day Jazz fest from 2:30 to 11:00 Central.  Tonight Stagecoach is running until 1 am Central, or 11 Pacific.  Will be curious as to see what Cuban has the trucks stream the feed form NoLA next weekend.  I have the DVR already set for all three days next weekend, along with the Cheap Trick concert on Tuesday.

The wife is not liking it right now, since I have the home theater on, to enjoy Stagecoach as it should be.  Sounds better in DD, than Rock Arena, on our Denon 1612, with Klipsch RB-81 IIs for the fronts, a RC-42 II for Center (small space that we had to put the center in, in our table stand), and RB-41 IIs for the rears.  Still need to find a way to add the second set of RB-41s for rear centers, but we have a set of windows behind our couch, so may not happen, unless I get creative and make stands to place them behind the couch and above our heads.

29 of 38 (2,830 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 30, 2013 5:41:12 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

The point I see is this, You are paying for HD tv, When you connect your HDMI cable from receiver to back of tv, you expect to get a greater picture details, colors etc. Now this all depends on the caliber of tv you have ie, LED, Plasma, LCD 32" 40" ect, and In the United States, 1080p over-the-air broadcasts still do not exist as of January 2013; all major networks use either 720p60 or 1080i60 encoded with MPEG-2. However, satellite services (e.g., DirecTV, XstreamHD and Dish Network) utilize the 1080p/24-30 format with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 encoding for pay-per-view movies that are downloaded in advance via satellite or on-demand via broadband. At this time, no pay service channel such as USA, HDNET, etc. nor premium movie channel such as HBO, etc., stream their services live to their distributors (MVPD) in this format because many MVPDs, especially DBS and cable, do not have sufficient bandwidth to provide the format streaming live to their subscribers without negatively impacting their current services. In addition is the high "cost" of using more bandwidth for one 1080p/24 channel than that necessary for a 1080i or even a 720p channel and for only those relatively few subscribers who have HDTV devices that can display 1080p/24 being an efficient use of their limited bandwidth.. But the problem with Uverse is they advertise HD tv but it is NOT 1080p. I too have been duped into believing this when I received my HD subscription and I connected to my 1080p tv and the picture was ok, but not 1080p It will never show, view connect as 1080p because Uvers is NOT broadcasting at 1080p So no matter how many people come on here a say how great their tv is to them, the reality is it's NOT 1080p. Smiley Mad

30 of 38 (2,183 Views)