Sign the petition for AT&T U-Verse to improve their HD picture quality.

Explorer

Sign the petition for AT&T U-Verse to improve their HD picture quality.

[ Edited ]

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Need I say more?

No one should have to pay an extra $10 a month when other providers offer vastly superior picture quality for no extra cost.  Do something about it.  AT&T U-Verse has had inferior picture quality since it was first launched.  Clearly they plan to do nothing about their poor picture quality seeing it's been over 7 years and little to no improvement has been made.

Message 1 of 38 (4,640 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Sign the petition for AT&T U-Verse to improve their HAD picture quality.

Comcast charges $15 extra a month for HD. I'm not sure about Time Warner but I know they also charge more for HD channels.

Dish and DirectTV don't directly charge more for HD, but they charge for a DVR service which AT&T does not.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 38 (4,432 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Sign the petition for AT&T U-Verse to improve their HD picture quality.

Many cable cos charge for the first box. If you want DVR, that's extra.

AT&T include DVR fee in base price, but HD is extra.

I agree that the HD quality is sub-par. My neighbor bugs me all the time to get a promo. She says the sales office is good at handing them out.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 38 (4,394 Views)
ACE - Professor

DRN94 wrote:

Need I say more?

No one should have to pay an extra $10 a month when other providers offer vastly superior picture quality for no extra cost.  Do something about it.  AT&T U-Verse has had inferior picture quality since it was first launched.  Clearly they plan to do nothing about their poor picture quality seeing it's been over 7 years and little to no improvement has been made.

I find the U-Verse HD picture on the televisions at my house to be excellent, especially at night. It all depends on your distance from the VRAD (Video Ready Access Device), the area, the type of cable you have in your house, etc.

Why have you stayed with U-Verse for over seven years if you are not pleased with the quality of the HD picture?

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
Message 4 of 38 (4,382 Views)
ACE - Master

UV has barely been live foir 7 years.  AND I doubt that the OP was an early adopter.

At any rate, I think that HD fees that are being charged are no longer a true technology fee (i.e. the money is no longer ised for infrastructure) and are now more of a profit model.  Just my opinion.

Message 5 of 38 (4,356 Views)
ACE - Expert

dwinth wrote:

DRN94 wrote:

Need I say more?

I find the U-Verse HD picture on the televisions at my house to be excellent, especially at night. It all depends on your distance from the VRAD (Video Ready Access Device), the area, the type of cable you have in your house, etc.

Why have you stayed with U-Verse for over seven years if you are not pleased with the quality of the HD picture?

Distance from the VRAD is irrilevant if there is a solid error-free signal coming to the RG.

Properly installed coax should provide the same HD quality as ethernet cable installs.  Personally I have an ethernet/patch cables install and don't have to worry about any coax problems (the one true advantage of ethernet/patch cable).

On Uverse, the size of the TV will be more relevant.  I have a 42" Panasonic plasma and feel I have a very good HD PQ, but a larger TV might just not have as good HD PQ due to artifacts in the image being enlarged. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 6 of 38 (4,320 Views)
Explorer

[ Edited ]

Even on the 32" 1080p TV and 22" 1080p TV, not just the 46", the artifacts are extremely noticeable.  Even at the furthest opitmal viewing distance, you can notice the lack of detail and pixelation.  A friend of mine has Comcast and his HD is crisp and relatively flawless compared to U-Verse.  It appeared to be clear and defined, not macroblocked and covered in digital noise. 

There is no reason on earth a company around for this long should be able to get away with having sub-par quality.  There should be an industry standard that all service providers must adhear to before they label their programming as "HD".

Message 7 of 38 (4,266 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have Dish for TV HD P.Q. is very good that's why I  keeep them for TV . Pushing a triple play or TV and internet 

through POTS lines for the last mile on FTTN setup invites too many problems for HD picture quality 

IMO .However their may be some close to a Vrad where it is OK YMMV. 

The cosrs for Dish TV and U verse internet when promotional expires ends up about the same as an equivalent

U verse bundle. So I stayed put with Dish ..  

Dish charges 10.00 a month for HD service and $7.00 a month for additional HD recievers .

no affil. 

Message 8 of 38 (4,182 Views)
Explorer

I've had all the services recently . DISH, DIRECTV, COMCAST, WOW are all really very good with HD PQ. U-verse comes in a distant last. It is not even in the same class with the others in HD PQ> 

Message 9 of 38 (4,083 Views)
ACE - Professor

guest wrote:

I've had all the services recently . DISH, DIRECTV, COMCAST, WOW are all really very good with HD PQ. U-verse comes in a distant last. It is not even in the same class with the others in HD PQ> 

You stated that you would switch to Comcast this past March 24. It sounds like you like to switch providers often since you stated that you have recently had Dish, Direct-TV, and Comcast along with U-Verse. It sounds like no provider actually pleases you.

Message 10 of 38 (4,074 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

DRN94 wrote:

Even on the 32" 1080p TV and 22" 1080p TV, not just the 46", the artifacts are extremely noticeable.  Even at the furthest opitmal viewing distance, you can notice the lack of detail and pixelation.  A friend of mine has Comcast and his HD is crisp and relatively flawless compared to U-Verse.  It appeared to be clear and defined, not macroblocked and covered in digital noise. 

There is no reason on earth a company around for this long should be able to get away with having sub-par quality.  There should be an industry standard that all service providers must adhear to before they label their programming as "HD".

I have great HD, great detai and very, very little pixelization under my viewing conditions:

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma w/an anti reflective screen and 480hz sub field drive. I use 4 different TV picture settings (3 customized, 2 for lightening dark shows/scenes) on HDMI. I sit at the far viewing distance (3 x diagonal distance-10.5') as that's the way my apartment lays out. All cat5e/ethernet patch cable install.

Essentially the artifacts I see are 'football grass' slight movement (1080i) and increasingly fewer backgrounds 'moving slightly'.

In sports, on Uverse, 720p Networks(FOX, ABC/ESPNs) tend to be better than 1080i Networks (CBS, TNT, TBS, all NBC channels) due to the fact the 1080i Networks need 10-20% more bandwidth to be equivalent to 720p. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 11 of 38 (4,052 Views)

DRN94 wrote:

I have a 60" Samsung Plasma and a viewing distance of about 10' and I have excellent HD quality.  Even up close.  I'm on my 3rd install of UVerse (2 apartments and now a house) and have always had great quality.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 12 of 38 (4,022 Views)
Mentor

Where do I sign?

Message 13 of 38 (3,808 Views)

PeterAlt wrote:

Where do I sign?

The link has been removed because it's SPAM!

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 14 of 38 (3,753 Views)
Scholar

I'm not sure why....but my hardwired box seems to have a better pic quality than my wireless box. Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 15 of 38 (3,743 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.