Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 18, 2011
7:31:18 PM
View profile
Setting Up ATT Email With Windows Live: Constantly Asks For Password
Edited by PantherArms762 on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:09:27 PM

I am trying to setup my emails to download into my Windows Live and it constantly asks for password. I know the login and password are correct and have entered them numerous times as well. Its just pops the same thing up again and again and again and again....

I have read and reread the instructional on the UVERSE website, deleted the account and started over ect numerous times, and I cannot get it to work. I called the support line and they said they won't help me with "3rd party email." Every once in a while, it will accidentally download my mail and then it's right back to asking for my name and password. I NEVER had this trouble with RoadRunner. Whats the deal??

Also, I DID try changing the port numbers like the support site requests and it made no difference.

I am trying to setup my emails to download into my Windows Live and it constantly asks for password. I know the login and password are correct and have entered them numerous times as well. Its just pops the same thing up again and again and again and again....

I have read and reread the instructional on the UVERSE website, deleted the account and started over ect numerous times, and I cannot get it to work. I called the support line and they said they won't help me with "3rd party email." Every once in a while, it will accidentally download my mail and then it's right back to asking for my name and password. I NEVER had this trouble with RoadRunner. Whats the deal??

Also, I DID try changing the port numbers like the support site requests and it made no difference.

Setting Up ATT Email With Windows Live: Constantly Asks For Password

[ Edited ]
34 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(34)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 4:22:02 PM
(0)
Voyager
Hey guys I think I have the solution to this ASK PASSWORD I went around with the same as all of you.. I;m in San Diego and I finally went to the Store and said this is a deal breaker if I cant get Windows Mail working...I finally got inbound.att.net working ATT is giving out false info on the POP outbound.att.net In there lecture and website the say use 465???? 587 pop not this 465..ichanged had a couple issues but my outbound email working now for 3 days no problems 587,587 change it good luck
Hey guys I think I have the solution to this ASK PASSWORD I went around with the same as all of you.. I;m in San Diego and I finally went to the Store and said this is a deal breaker if I cant get Windows Mail working...I finally got inbound.att.net working ATT is giving out false info on the POP outbound.att.net In there lecture and website the say use 465???? 587 pop not this 465..ichanged had a couple issues but my outbound email working now for 3 days no problems 587,587 change it good luck

Re: Setting Up ATT Email With Windows Live: Constantly Asks For Password

31 of 35 (805 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 4:27:14 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hey I think I have the solution same problem outbound.att.net..All the ATT website and litecture say use 465 as POP OUT....I was told by a ATT TECH that was wrong and use 587 outbound.att.net. Resultss No more asking password etc good now for 4 days   CHANGE it 587

Hey I think I have the solution same problem outbound.att.net..All the ATT website and litecture say use 465 as POP OUT....I was told by a ATT TECH that was wrong and use 587 outbound.att.net. Resultss No more asking password etc good now for 4 days   CHANGE it 587

32 of 35 (804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 3:44:39 PM
(0)
Voyager

We are all in the same boat I'm using WINDOWS LIVE MAIL WLM...I to same problems..Solutions..Each ATT Region has a different OUT GOING.ATT.NET  POP I live in California. Do not us the suggested POP 465 as recommended on website its doesn't work. I went to my ATT store the tech guy said USE 587 out going POP.. GREAT well a few tries and problem solved..Then on again off again for three months asking for email user PW. NOW  3/04/2014 NO incoming or out going mail. It seems ATT provides a solutions for awhile then it goes away and same-o-same-o.  ATT needs to get there act together and support a ATT mail not YAHOO or any other.  THE best I had was COX  ..Live  Person Support. I may go back to COX..

Try the out mail POP 587 it worked for me for 2 months.  

We are all in the same boat I'm using WINDOWS LIVE MAIL WLM...I to same problems..Solutions..Each ATT Region has a different OUT GOING.ATT.NET  POP I live in California. Do not us the suggested POP 465 as recommended on website its doesn't work. I went to my ATT store the tech guy said USE 587 out going POP.. GREAT well a few tries and problem solved..Then on again off again for three months asking for email user PW. NOW  3/04/2014 NO incoming or out going mail. It seems ATT provides a solutions for awhile then it goes away and same-o-same-o.  ATT needs to get there act together and support a ATT mail not YAHOO or any other.  THE best I had was COX  ..Live  Person Support. I may go back to COX..

Try the out mail POP 587 it worked for me for 2 months.  

33 of 35 (667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2014 7:53:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

Setting up ATT u-verse in Windows Live Mail was a nightmare, but just figured out my problem.  I had techs do remote access and everything and yes they wanted me to pay the $15.00 a month for tech support.   Anyhoo it turns out that my port numbers were entered in reverse.  Under the Advanced Tab in the account set up the outbound is listed first and the ATT tech put the 995 port in there instead of the 465.  Once I switched the port numbers it immediately worked.  I hope this is clear.  If not, give me a yell.  Good Luck

Setting up ATT u-verse in Windows Live Mail was a nightmare, but just figured out my problem.  I had techs do remote access and everything and yes they wanted me to pay the $15.00 a month for tech support.   Anyhoo it turns out that my port numbers were entered in reverse.  Under the Advanced Tab in the account set up the outbound is listed first and the ATT tech put the 995 port in there instead of the 465.  Once I switched the port numbers it immediately worked.  I hope this is clear.  If not, give me a yell.  Good Luck

34 of 35 (421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2014 9:27:54 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by pbnerd on Oct 23, 2014 at 10:03:26 AM

My inlaws' email addresses are legacy snet.net emails, as are mine.  While setting up email on their new PC using Windows Live Mail, I ran into the same problem, and here is what I found.

At some point over the past 18 months their email password was changed.  I was not present for the change but I believe they called AT&T/Yahoo for this email support.  The result is that AT&Tand Yahoo now store two different passwords in two distinctly different places for the same email sub-account, and no synchronization ever takes place

One password (alpha-numeric) works for the ATT/Yahoo login to email using the webpage interface.  The other password (strictly alpha) works for the Windows Live Mail login.  Both for the same email sub-account.  BTW, the password that works for the webpage login is not recognized as valid on the ATT Account page used to change the password of a sub-account.

As an I.T. architect in charge of a Corporation, I can confirm that this violates all sorts of I.T. and networking standards.

Bottom line is, if your password was changed using phone support and is not working for Windows Live Mail, do this:  Verify all of the server/port and security settings.  If they are all correct and you still get the login error, try the previous password.

My inlaws' email addresses are legacy snet.net emails, as are mine.  While setting up email on their new PC using Windows Live Mail, I ran into the same problem, and here is what I found.

At some point over the past 18 months their email password was changed.  I was not present for the change but I believe they called AT&T/Yahoo for this email support.  The result is that AT&Tand Yahoo now store two different passwords in two distinctly different places for the same email sub-account, and no synchronization ever takes place

One password (alpha-numeric) works for the ATT/Yahoo login to email using the webpage interface.  The other password (strictly alpha) works for the Windows Live Mail login.  Both for the same email sub-account.  BTW, the password that works for the webpage login is not recognized as valid on the ATT Account page used to change the password of a sub-account.

As an I.T. architect in charge of a Corporation, I can confirm that this violates all sorts of I.T. and networking standards.

Bottom line is, if your password was changed using phone support and is not working for Windows Live Mail, do this:  Verify all of the server/port and security settings.  If they are all correct and you still get the login error, try the previous password.

[ Edited ]
35 of 35 (399 Views)