Sending a fax with Uverse phone

Mentor

Sending a fax with Uverse phone

I have a Lexmark X5250 All-in-one printer/scanner/fax.  I'm not able to send a fax and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do (cable, splitter, etc) that will allow me to use the fax with Uverse VOIP.

Message 1 of 15 (1,557 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Sending a fax with Uverse phone

Bree26 - You are seeking advice on how to connect or how to send or how to auto receive??
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15 (1,552 Views)
ACE - Master

Bree26 wrote:

I have a Lexmark X5250 All-in-one printer/scanner/fax.  I'm not able to send a fax and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do (cable, splitter, etc) that will allow me to use the fax with Uverse VOIP.

The first thing to check is to make sure there is dial tone to your fax machine.  Faxes are compatible with U-voice.  Try plugging in a regular phone either to the wall where your fax is plugged into or look on the machine and it will have a jack with a picture of a phone.  Plug it either location and see if you get dial tone.  If not that's your issue.  Some techs only plug a phone into the line jack on the back of the AT&T Router and don't back feed it to all of the jacks in the residence.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 15 (1,546 Views)
ACE - Expert

Bree26 - I looked up your manual & see that the reuired tel connection is in the computer. YOu need a tekl modem in the computer -
Make sure the computer is connected to an active analog phone line. A phone connection to the fax modem in the computer is required for faxing to function.
Message 4 of 15 (1,542 Views)
Mentor

aviewer wrote:
Bree26 - You are seeking advice on how to connect or how to send or how to auto receive??

I guess the answer would be "yes" to all three. I can check if the fax has a dial tone but I'm not sure if the fax I have is compatible with VOIP or just POTS.

Message 5 of 15 (1,511 Views)
ACE - Expert

Bree26 - Did you see the other info that BB & I provided??
I think the major roadblock you have is that the all in one does not have a tel modem. It requires the computer to have one,
If you have one in your computer you can connect it to the RG to see if it works.
Message 6 of 15 (1,510 Views)
Mentor

I'm sorry - I did see the other replies.  I'll check the fax and computer and see how they're set up. Thank you.

Message 7 of 15 (1,508 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Bree26 - The setup instructions and manual for the Lexmark are pretty sketchy. It says you can use it with or without a computer. But, I do not see specifics on without a computer. I can guess and say you would need a USB tel fax modem.

Most of these devices have them built in. I guess this one saves the cost of the modem.

You could check with Lexmark & ask about the VOIP. But, that has two problems-
It is an analog VOIP line as apposed to native VOIP (you would ned to make that clear). So, it should work & the tel FAX standards are in the tel modem, which is not included in the Lexmark. So, I guess the key document will be the specs on the tel FAX modem you use - USB or computer (which also could be USB).

Once, you have a FAX modem, you can see if it works direct in the RG.
Message 8 of 15 (1,501 Views)
Mentor

Well, I guess it may have been more helpful if I had given the correct printer model number! I have a Lexmark All-In-One X5650, not a 5250.. I'm sorry! We do have a 5200 series elsewhere in the house and I apparently got them mixed up. 

SInce I finally had some real time to devote to this, here is what I've found:  there is no dialtone when the printer/fax is connected directly to the phone line connection, beneath the U-verse data line connection, in the wall (no phone plugged directly into it gets dialtone, either).  So that is out as a connection method.  The printer/fax is directly connected to the computer; I can print with no problem.  The computer does have a modem: Intel 537EP V9x DF PCI modem.  When I open the fax program on my computer, this is the modem it recognizes.  There are two ports on the back of the printer/fax: a phone line (or LINE) and an EXT line.  The instructions for the LINE port say: "Connect the printer to an active phone line to send and receive faxes. The printer must be connected to an active phone line to receive fax calls.  NOTE:  do not connect additional devices to the LINE port, and do not connect a DSL, ISDN, or cable modem."

For the EXT port, instructions say: " Connect additional devices, such as a data/fax modem, telephone, or answering machine, to the printer."

So am I out of luck on this one, based on the instructions? Or can I connect the printer./fax to my Uverse system somehow via the EXT port?  It also seems that if there were a splitter of some kind for the data line that connections into the wall, the fax phone line could be connected to that. Am I way off base with that?  Sorry if I'm just not getting this; obviously connecting components is not my thing. Thank you for all the advice already.

Message 9 of 15 (1,425 Views)
ACE - Expert

Bree26 - Well, you bumped around a little, but you end up in the right place.

Yes, the dial tone for u-verse voice is on the tel jack on the RG. You need to connect that to the tel jack on the fax. Since there are two jacks on the FAX, that is a splitter & you could connect - RG - FAX & FAX EXT - Wall jack.

Or, as you say RG- Splitter - FAX (one side) - Wall jack( Other side). Just be sure to get a (most common) one line, two set splitter. A Two line, two set will not work.

Or, you could get a wall plate with an addl jack & wire the the two jacks together. Plug the RG into one & the FAX into the other. THe FAX would then Be just another set in the house distribution.

Don't mess with the jack that feeds the RG. Do you want me to look up to see if there is an option to set to recognize the Jacks on the FAX instead of the one on the computer? Maybe if it sees the dial tone it will work - Plug & play.
Message 10 of 15 (1,423 Views)
Employee

Bree26, do you subscribe to Uverse Voip services, if no...no dail tone...no fax.
If yes, on the RG the phone1 light should be on, if light is off either not activated or not subscribed.

Once dail tone on back of RG, then question is how to connect to fax, either direct, by splitter if in same room as RG or over inside wiring if fax is located elsewhere.

Based on "SInce I finally had some real time to devote to this, here is what I've found: there is no dialtone when the printer/fax is connected directly to the phone line connection, beneath the U-verse data line connection," my initial thought is no voip plan.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 15 (1,417 Views)
Mentor

No, I have VOIP phone with Uverse.  I think what may be the issue here is that the phone was set up after Uverse tv and internet were installed.  It was a self-install and it only involved connecting my phone directly into the RG, which is what is directly connected to the wall.  So the phone outlet on the RG is already in use, with the house phone.  So I guess I would need a splitter to accomplish what I need.  Any suggestions on what to look for when buying one?

Message 12 of 15 (1,409 Views)
Mentor

I see you have answered my question about what kind of splitter I would need - thank you! After reading your suggestion about getting a wall plate with an add'l jack, that's what I have now.  I guess the reason it doesnt work is that the uverse phone was installed after the tv and internet portions, and it was a self-install, as I described in my reply above.  There was no inside wiring for the phone.  So the phone is just running directly off of the RG.

Message 13 of 15 (1,408 Views)
ACE - Expert

Bree26 - Sorry, I did not get your exact connection. You must not mix your tel back into the U_verse feed, so, it is probably best not to try to feed the house jacks with dial tone. A quick and easy way to add more phones is a wireless phone. Plug in the base station & distribute the others around the house. They only require a power outlet.

You should be able to use the splitter in the FAX - connected - Since there are two jacks on the FAX, that is a built-in splitter & you could connect - RG - FAX & FAX EXT - tel set.

The manual does not say anything about how the machine determines which modem to use - the one in the computer or the one in the FAX. I guess it is the one where dial tone is detected.
Message 14 of 15 (1,395 Views)
Mentor

Thank you! I'll give it a try. I don't use the fax very often, but I would definitely like to be able to use when I do need to.

Message 15 of 15 (1,356 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.