Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 3, 2013
12:23:17 PM
View profile
Screen format got worse

First, the Uverse remote required 12 keystrokes to change the screen format from an old movie to a new, letterbox movie. So I complained in this forum.

Apparently they heard my complaint. They eliminated that screen format choice from the menu and forced the old movies to stretch in width.

Now Myrna Loy is going to be fat! Asta's not looking too sleek either.

Does nobody at ATT care about movies?

First, the Uverse remote required 12 keystrokes to change the screen format from an old movie to a new, letterbox movie. So I complained in this forum.

Apparently they heard my complaint. They eliminated that screen format choice from the menu and forced the old movies to stretch in width.

Now Myrna Loy is going to be fat! Asta's not looking too sleek either.

Does nobody at ATT care about movies?

Screen format got worse

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 11:04:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Just use the same button to stretch and Zoom up to 3 to get rid of the letterbox and everythng is still in correct proportion. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Just use the same button to stretch and Zoom up to 3 to get rid of the letterbox and everythng is still in correct proportion. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Screen format got worse

2 of 24 (1,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 12:13:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

That zoom menu option no longer exists. That's the point, doh!

3 of 24 (1,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 1:20:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

sfbaywalk wrote:

The "Enter" "Zoom" button is under the 9 key, press the Enter/Zoom and a side menu comes up and then arrow down to the zoom option.

sfbaywalk wrote:

The "Enter" "Zoom" button is under the 9 key, press the Enter/Zoom and a side menu comes up and then arrow down to the zoom option.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 24 (1,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 4:13:44 PM
(0)
Teacher
I know where the key is. I had it every time I go thru a maddening
sequence of 12 clicks to get the format to change from an old movie to a
new movie.

But nope -- zoom is no longer on the list of choices. Plenty of choices
about favorites.

Try to believe me.

Roy
sfbaywalk wrote:

That zoom menu option no longer exists.

Community support wrote:

The "Enter" "Zoom" button is under the 9 key, press the Enter/Zoom and a
side menu comes up and then arrow down to the zoom option.
I know where the key is. I had it every time I go thru a maddening
sequence of 12 clicks to get the format to change from an old movie to a
new movie.

But nope -- zoom is no longer on the list of choices. Plenty of choices
about favorites.

Try to believe me.

Roy
sfbaywalk wrote:

That zoom menu option no longer exists.

Community support wrote:

The "Enter" "Zoom" button is under the 9 key, press the Enter/Zoom and a
side menu comes up and then arrow down to the zoom option.

5 of 24 (1,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 7:11:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Sep 4, 2013 at 7:12:30 PM

sfbaywalk wrote:

After you hit the Enter/Zoom button (under the #9), you should see the following:

Viewing Options

Favorites List >

Add to Favorites >

Edit/Add Favorites

Audio Language >

Closed Captions >

Zoom >

Channel Search

If you ARE NOT seeing those choices under "Viewing Options", what are you seeing?

sfbaywalk wrote:

After you hit the Enter/Zoom button (under the #9), you should see the following:

Viewing Options

Favorites List >

Add to Favorites >

Edit/Add Favorites

Audio Language >

Closed Captions >

Zoom >

Channel Search

If you ARE NOT seeing those choices under "Viewing Options", what are you seeing?

[ Edited ]
6 of 24 (1,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 8:26:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

skeeterintexas wrote:

sfbaywalk wrote:

Viewing Options

Favorites List >

Add to Favorites >

Edit/Add Favorites

Audio Language >

Closed Captions >

Zoom >

Channel Search

Who knows, but I'm seeing those same options Skeeter.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

skeeterintexas wrote:

sfbaywalk wrote:

Viewing Options

Favorites List >

Add to Favorites >

Edit/Add Favorites

Audio Language >

Closed Captions >

Zoom >

Channel Search

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

7 of 24 (1,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 8:47:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

sfbaywalk wrote:

Viewing Options

Favorites List >

Add to Favorites >

Edit/Add Favorites

Audio Language >

Closed Captions >

Zoom >

Channel Search

My point exactly.  Smiley Surprised

oufanindallas wrote:

skeeterintexas wrote:

sfbaywalk wrote:

Viewing Options

Favorites List >

Add to Favorites >

Edit/Add Favorites

Audio Language >

Closed Captions >

Zoom >

Channel Search

My point exactly.  Smiley Surprised

8 of 24 (1,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 11:12:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

sfbaywalk wrote:

Then use the zoom on your TV from your TV remote. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

sfbaywalk wrote:

Then use the zoom on your TV from your TV remote. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

9 of 24 (1,092 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 4:14:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
sfbaywalk - I have been looking at this thread forever, frustrated, with nothing to contribute. This am Chris's signature flashed before my eyes - Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels - triggering the grey matter -

The reason you have NO Zoom selection is your aspect ratio is set to SD. Menu > Options > system options > TV res set to 720 or 1080 & Zoom well return.
Be sure to move the cursor to select the new aspect after the test & You are connected HDMI or component??
sfbaywalk - I have been looking at this thread forever, frustrated, with nothing to contribute. This am Chris's signature flashed before my eyes - Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels - triggering the grey matter -

The reason you have NO Zoom selection is your aspect ratio is set to SD. Menu > Options > system options > TV res set to 720 or 1080 & Zoom well return.
Be sure to move the cursor to select the new aspect after the test & You are connected HDMI or component??

10 of 24 (1,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 4:38:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Aviewer beat me to it: either your connection to the TV doesn't support HD, or you need the resolution.

Aviewer beat me to it: either your connection to the TV doesn't support HD, or you need the resolution.

11 of 24 (1,067 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 4:52:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good call guys! 

Now if the OP will give us an update, we'll know if either of those solutions worked.

Good call guys! 

Now if the OP will give us an update, we'll know if either of those solutions worked.

12 of 24 (1,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 1:39:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Well that makes sense, nice Awiewer.

Never thought about the SD/HD, never had UVerse without HDTV.

Well that makes sense, nice Awiewer.

Never thought about the SD/HD, never had UVerse without HDTV.

13 of 24 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 6:18:44 PM
(0)
Teacher
aviewer (ACE - Master) wrote:

The reason you have NO Zoom selection is your aspect ratio is set to SD.
Menu > Options > system options > TV res set to 720 or 1080 & Zoom will
return.

My response:

You probably have the correct solution. But I have thought about it and
decided that I am better off without the Uverse zoom menu. My TV remote
can control the aspect ratio in 3 strokes, and I don't have to put up
with the inane Uverse menu which requires 12 strokes.

BTW, I see:

Favorites list
Add to favorites
Edit/add favorites
Audio language
Closed captions
Channel search

Shouldn't "zoom" be first for a button labeled "zoom?"

Thanks,

roy
aviewer (ACE - Master) wrote:

The reason you have NO Zoom selection is your aspect ratio is set to SD.
Menu > Options > system options > TV res set to 720 or 1080 & Zoom will
return.

My response:

You probably have the correct solution. But I have thought about it and
decided that I am better off without the Uverse zoom menu. My TV remote
can control the aspect ratio in 3 strokes, and I don't have to put up
with the inane Uverse menu which requires 12 strokes.

BTW, I see:

Favorites list
Add to favorites
Edit/add favorites
Audio language
Closed captions
Channel search

Shouldn't "zoom" be first for a button labeled "zoom?"

Thanks,

roy

14 of 24 (997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 6:35:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
sfbaywalk - Thanks for replying. What is the make/model of your TV? The problem is not limited to the zoom. It is also impacting the quality of the picture. If your TV is 720 or 1080 the interface should be set to match. At least check it out. Look for the zoom menu item while you are there.

You are singing to the choir on the usability (or rather lack of usability analysis) of the interface. There are many cases that require too many button pushes. In this case, they started with the zoom function & added with functions without considering functionality.

The favorites should not be there. They should be a onetime setting in the main menu that affects the result of the guide button.

Seems like the only two that need a quick toggle are zoom and CC. Either could go first. The rest can be under main menu.
sfbaywalk - Thanks for replying. What is the make/model of your TV? The problem is not limited to the zoom. It is also impacting the quality of the picture. If your TV is 720 or 1080 the interface should be set to match. At least check it out. Look for the zoom menu item while you are there.

You are singing to the choir on the usability (or rather lack of usability analysis) of the interface. There are many cases that require too many button pushes. In this case, they started with the zoom function & added with functions without considering functionality.

The favorites should not be there. They should be a onetime setting in the main menu that affects the result of the guide button.

Seems like the only two that need a quick toggle are zoom and CC. Either could go first. The rest can be under main menu.

15 of 24 (973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 6:39:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

aviewer wrote:

Favorites is there.  Check it out on your TV.

Did the OP say he actually had HD?  You can have an HD tv but unless you pay for HD or have U400, you aren't getting HD.

aviewer wrote:

Favorites is there.  Check it out on your TV.

Did the OP say he actually had HD?  You can have an HD tv but unless you pay for HD or have U400, you aren't getting HD.

16 of 24 (971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 6:58:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Sep 5, 2013 at 7:12:17 PM

skeeterintexas - Yes, I know favorites is there. I also, know it is broken since the last update. Just taking the opportunity to say that it does not belong there because it requires too many clicks to use and adds clicks to other functions. You do not just keep building lists of functions. It is the same problem as adding a new button to the remote for each function - you end up with a mess & with the remote it is physically impossible. It is a science to allocate functions to the best place or places and allow users diversity in selecting default settings.

If you want to see a real mess look at the easy remote app ( I think the one for ipad is the worst) Since the buttons are virtual there is no physical restriction. They essentially started with the existing remote & combined it with off TV activities, shook well, & ended up with three pages of buttons that you cannot tell if it affects the TV the ipad or both. Yhey did not even think to color the buttons to help show what they affect.

I was kind of walking the tightrope on the HD service issue. But, I feel that if you have an HD TV it should be connected HD. & I believed it was an HD TV because zoom once worked.

skeeterintexas - Yes, I know favorites is there. I also, know it is broken since the last update. Just taking the opportunity to say that it does not belong there because it requires too many clicks to use and adds clicks to other functions. You do not just keep building lists of functions. It is the same problem as adding a new button to the remote for each function - you end up with a mess & with the remote it is physically impossible. It is a science to allocate functions to the best place or places and allow users diversity in selecting default settings.

If you want to see a real mess look at the easy remote app ( I think the one for ipad is the worst) Since the buttons are virtual there is no physical restriction. They essentially started with the existing remote & combined it with off TV activities, shook well, & ended up with three pages of buttons that you cannot tell if it affects the TV the ipad or both. Yhey did not even think to color the buttons to help show what they affect.

I was kind of walking the tightrope on the HD service issue. But, I feel that if you have an HD TV it should be connected HD. & I believed it was an HD TV because zoom once worked.

[ Edited ]
17 of 24 (965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 8:58:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

aviewer wrote:

I don't use the favorites so I didn't realize it didn't actually do anything.

AFA HD service goes, my sister had to buy a new TV in the last year and, of course, it's an HD.  She has Direct TV and REFUSES to pay for HD.  It drives me nuts.  Everything is little bitty in the middle of the screen. 

I've told her time and again that "HD will change your life."  Her response: "Maybe I don't want my life changed!"  And she can well afford whatever the cost is.  It's sad because she's pretty much housebound nowadays and I know she would get a great deal of pleasure out of seeing programs in HD...but what can you do? Smiley Sad

aviewer wrote:

I don't use the favorites so I didn't realize it didn't actually do anything.

AFA HD service goes, my sister had to buy a new TV in the last year and, of course, it's an HD.  She has Direct TV and REFUSES to pay for HD.  It drives me nuts.  Everything is little bitty in the middle of the screen. 

I've told her time and again that "HD will change your life."  Her response: "Maybe I don't want my life changed!"  And she can well afford whatever the cost is.  It's sad because she's pretty much housebound nowadays and I know she would get a great deal of pleasure out of seeing programs in HD...but what can you do? Smiley Sad

18 of 24 (955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 12:13:44 AM
(0)
Teacher
If the button says "zoom," then zoom should be the first item in the
menu. That saves us 5 keystrokes.

Then, within the zoom menu, the only two items of real use are "normal"
and "zoom 3" for Big Bang and Breaking Bad, respectively. But those
entries are 4 keystrokes apart. So, have the programmer let us use the
"up" arrow to get from the top item to the bottom item, and down arrow
to reverse. This is the wrap function, just like in Atari Asteroids.

Problem solved. We can now change aspect ratio in 4 keystrokes, instead
of 12.

All those other entries under the zoom button are basically useless
afterthoughts. Why were they added later and placed above "zoom" in the
menu hierarchy?

But it seems that no one from the savant programmer up to the CEO has
noticed what a pain it is to change aspect ratio.

So I suppose nobody at Uverse actually uses Uverse.
If the button says "zoom," then zoom should be the first item in the
menu. That saves us 5 keystrokes.

Then, within the zoom menu, the only two items of real use are "normal"
and "zoom 3" for Big Bang and Breaking Bad, respectively. But those
entries are 4 keystrokes apart. So, have the programmer let us use the
"up" arrow to get from the top item to the bottom item, and down arrow
to reverse. This is the wrap function, just like in Atari Asteroids.

Problem solved. We can now change aspect ratio in 4 keystrokes, instead
of 12.

All those other entries under the zoom button are basically useless
afterthoughts. Why were they added later and placed above "zoom" in the
menu hierarchy?

But it seems that no one from the savant programmer up to the CEO has
noticed what a pain it is to change aspect ratio.

So I suppose nobody at Uverse actually uses Uverse.

19 of 24 (941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 4:23:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:43:02 AM

Good Morning skeeter,
Let me clarify my sentence - I feel that if you have an HD TV it should be connected HD.

I did not intend to include - "should purchase HD service" . Although, I cannot imagine not purchasing it.

I was trying to cover the case of an HD TV without HD service. It should still be connected with HDMI or component and the aspect set to 720 or 1080. First for a better picture, second for access to all features (e.g. zoom) and third to be ready for a free HD trial.

Another reason - The at&t channels & menus & guides fill the screem (easier to read).

I always got a chuckle out of imagining a viewing of the free trial when the TV is connected COAX, composite or s-video - I don't see any difference - Do you see any difference - I wonder what all the hoopla is about - must be another scam

Good Morning skeeter,
Let me clarify my sentence - I feel that if you have an HD TV it should be connected HD.

I did not intend to include - "should purchase HD service" . Although, I cannot imagine not purchasing it.

I was trying to cover the case of an HD TV without HD service. It should still be connected with HDMI or component and the aspect set to 720 or 1080. First for a better picture, second for access to all features (e.g. zoom) and third to be ready for a free HD trial.

Another reason - The at&t channels & menus & guides fill the screem (easier to read).

I always got a chuckle out of imagining a viewing of the free trial when the TV is connected COAX, composite or s-video - I don't see any difference - Do you see any difference - I wonder what all the hoopla is about - must be another scam

[ Edited ]
20 of 24 (897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 5:33:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

aviewer wrote:

Good Morning skeeter,

I totally get it...I was just using this thread to vent my frustation with my sibling!

I'm thinking about buying her an antenna, hooking it up to the HD TV and at least let her SEE what OTA HD programming looks like. 

Do I sound like a drug addict trying to convince someone to try 'it' the first time?

aviewer wrote:

Good Morning skeeter,

I totally get it...I was just using this thread to vent my frustation with my sibling!

I'm thinking about buying her an antenna, hooking it up to the HD TV and at least let her SEE what OTA HD programming looks like. 

Do I sound like a drug addict trying to convince someone to try 'it' the first time?

21 of 24 (882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 6:04:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
at&t should still be offering a free trial period. Maybe you could "gift" the subsequent payments for birthday or any other gifting event?? Does that qualify as passive/aggressive?? Maybe some things we just have to accept.
at&t should still be offering a free trial period. Maybe you could "gift" the subsequent payments for birthday or any other gifting event?? Does that qualify as passive/aggressive?? Maybe some things we just have to accept.

22 of 24 (866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 10:03:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Hey sfbaywalk -

I was going to mention - I used to think - probably even suggested that when the zoom menu comes up it should be on the opposite end of the spectrum because the most common reason for visiting is to change it. If set to Normal access should come up with the cursor on Zoom3 & vice-versa.

I thought the navigation did wrap & tried it, but it does not.

I accidentally used the chan down button. It does jump on both menus - Zoom- Down chan - Up arrow - OK - Down chan - OK

Use Up chan for Normal. Reduces clicks to six.
Hey sfbaywalk -

I was going to mention - I used to think - probably even suggested that when the zoom menu comes up it should be on the opposite end of the spectrum because the most common reason for visiting is to change it. If set to Normal access should come up with the cursor on Zoom3 & vice-versa.

I thought the navigation did wrap & tried it, but it does not.

I accidentally used the chan down button. It does jump on both menus - Zoom- Down chan - Up arrow - OK - Down chan - OK

Use Up chan for Normal. Reduces clicks to six.

23 of 24 (808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 10:22:19 AM
(0)
Teacher
Thx. I'll try that.
Thx. I'll try that.

24 of 24 (804 Views)