Helpful Links

Scam at broad daylight

Contributor

Scam at broad daylight

LIke Willis127 I wished I had googled a bit more on the methods used by AT&T in the way they bill and give customer support.

here is my story after only a week with U-verse.

Here in my neighbor hood in Houston we had until now only entouch as cable provider. But now finally we had the possibility to get AT&T. So I researched a bit on the prices and found out I could save a couple of bucks and get faster Internet. So I tried to order the bundle with U200 and 18Mb internet. Should cost $97 +tax and fees. I couldn't complete the order onlinstand got a message to call in and order.. Very good (non Indian without offending anybody) service were I was walked through every step and they understood what I wanted. Order completed without fuzz and I had to pay $449 in DEPOSIT (remember this word) because I didn't have any US credit history (coming from Europe). Steep but I'm used to it by now. Order done and installation was very fast.

Now a week later I get my first bill. Suddenly my deposit was turned into $199 installation fee ands $250 NON-refundabfee credit FEE. So all my deposit was now used to pay for this and my my bill is for the next month $190..... Remember this was set to $97...

so this morning I call (India) because of course this has to be a mistake. But no! Not even after talking to some manager who explained to me that this is how it is and even if I would cancel and opt the 30 day money back that i was told i had, they would still take the $250 credit fee. So no matter what I do now I'm screwed ..... Normally people actually go to jail for doing this but apparently you can do that in the US....

Moral to the story. Don't go with AT&T. And if you do, don't pay anything upfront.

Message 1 of 5
Employee

Re: Scam at broad daylight

Hello jeku

My name is Morgan, I'm one of the community managers for this support website. I apologize for this billing problem at hand. I would like to work with you and help you get this resolved. I'm going to send you a private message so we can disclose your account information away from the public. Please click on your name on the upper-right hand corner of this page and choose "Inbox & Activity" to view my message. Thanks!

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5
Employee

Hello jeku, I am an AT&T community manager. I am working with morgan_b to investigate and find a resolution to your situation. I apologize about the lack of communication about the $449 fee by the sales representative. I will be contacting you by phone shortly to discuss these fees.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 5
Contributor

so here is now the followup and to show they will continue doing this as long as you have an account. 

my u-verse receiver just stopped working and after chatting with some Indian guy and resetting the device several times he determined that I needed a new. That was fine in could live with that. He also made it clear that if I failed to return back the broken one I would get charged $150 and it would show on my bill until I returned the old. But they would send all I needed and even pay for the shipping both ways. I had 7 Days to return. 5 min later I had an email describing it all and tracking number. Perfect. Good service! 45 min later it showed $105 dvr uverse receiver upgrade. +taxes and fees.. ..ok that was probably what he mentioned ..... 

2 days later I had a brand new one and return shipping information and that just perfect. I even got a text 3 days later that now they received back the broken one and all was perfect.... But then I saw my next bill. it still showed $105+fees and taxes.. . After chatting with somebody and politely telling them to please remove that because it was confirmed that they recieved it back and he also could confirm that, he also told me that he couldn't remove the charges but it could take up to 2 billing cycles untill it was credited. but they were able to add the charge the same evening in under an hour and now it takes 2 month to get it off? So now I'm lending AT&T money because they had a defect part?????

where is this going to end!!!!!

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Contributor

And btw I only. Got the $250 non-refundable credit fee canceled but still had to pay the $199 installation fee even though the installation was "free"
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support