Helpful Links

SOLVED: Still problems with 3600HGV bridge mode and Linksys router on Uverse

Teacher

SOLVED: Still problems with 3600HGV bridge mode and Linksys router on Uverse

EDIT:  SOLUTION (for me).  ONE TINY change; one bit of info, that took days to find & seconds to change in router - PRESTO!

I KNEW it would turn out to be something simple.

Found this post on Linksys' forum http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Integrating-2Wire-3600HGV-w-Linksys-E4200/td-p/4061...

That said, "You'll need to change the lan ip address of the linksys (router) from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1.

* Router Immeditely got IP address, on doing that - w/ PC LAN connected to router; router powered up & WAN connected to 2Wire LAN.

* Then FINALLY router showed in 2Wire UI (as unknown device).  I selected that device, then followed the rest of instructions at link - just below.  (This info needs to be added as note? to those instructions).  Then, after making suggested changes in 2Wire FW Advanced Settings, connected all devices to Linksys router - all had LAN addresses & able to surf w/ PC conn. to router.

JefferMC, I'm REALLY disappointed that you don't know EVERY THING in the entire cosmos, about hooking routers behind crappy 2Wire gateways. Smiley LOL  Seriously, thanks for the instructions.  In this case (is it that unusual?), router home address needed changing from default.  Don't know why it worked, but did so immediately.

END OF EDIT.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I read the instructions at AT&T & other forums on putting 3600HGV in "bridge" mode & using separate router.  Still not working.

My WRT54GL was set up on AT&T DSL - PPPoE, using 2Wire 2701 in bridge mode.  Worked fine.  Can't get it to work w/ Uverse & 3600HGV.

I wonder if because it was set up for PPPoE before, if Linksys has some settings needing changing - not mentioned in the link's instructions how to do it w/ Uverse & 3600HGV?

I hooked PC to Linksys & changed "type connection" to Automatic DHCP, on router Basic Setup page.  Then restarted router.  Eventually, tried rebooting all equipment.  2Wire isn't assigning the router IP address & of course, router doesn't show up in 2Wire's tables.

IP address in router (basic setup) & in Status / Router - is only 127.0.0.1.
Router has subnet mask 255.0.0.0; no DNS addresses; No current time avail (though Linksys Basic tab has time zone set).

Things I'm not sure about in the Linksys:

Still a PW (asterisks) still showing in the router - Admin/managment.

Under Setup / Advanced - should interface be LAN & Wireless, or WAN?

Should there be anything under the same page, under Static Routing?

What about IP range of 2Wire vs router? (not the same)
Or DHCP network range?

Maybe since the Linksys was setup for PPPoE, using PW / user name & settings for PPPoE, I'll be forced to reset router to default settings?  Then the other settings I asked about & maybe others are still in question.

Any other suggestions of things to look at / try?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: Still problems with 3600HGV bridge mode and Linksys router on Uverse

You do not need PPPoE for U-verse, you must disable it.  Since the router can't completed PPPoE authentication, likely it is not allowing you to use the connection.

I am unclear as to what other settings you may or may not have configured.  Get that corrected and let's see where you are.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
Teacher

Thanks.  Sorry if I was unclear.  I DID hook PC's ethernet to WRT54GL LAN.  In Basic Setup page, changed from former PPPoE connection to Automatic DHCP.  But, after restarting router (PC ethernet still connected to router) & router WAN hooked to 2Wire LAN (router internet port to 2Wire router out port), router isn't assigned an IP (see 1st post).

Tried rebooting PC, router & 3600HGV at once, to see if that helped.  I let the 2Wire get broadband conn., before powering on anything else.  Still no IP from 2Wire to router.

Note:  Though 2Wire isn't showing router under FW / Applications, once router is connected to 2Wire per instructions & reboot router, it's lights show solid green for WLAN & Internet.  That's w/ nothing conn. to router's LAN (ethernet) ports.

** Must ALL other devices be disconnected from 2Wire router ports, when trying to get it to assign an IP to WRT54GL?  Then restart router (& possibly the 2Wire, PC)?

AFTER I changed Linksys to Automatic DHCP & Saved - it changed some values on router's Basic setup page (expected).  After router restart, router IP address is only 127.0.0.1 (in Basic setup AND in Status > Router).
Router has subnet mask 255.0.0.0; NO DNS addresses; "No current time avail." (though Linksys Basic tab has time zone set).

Tried forcing router to get new DHCP via UI option - still returns address of 127.0.0.1.

Maybe there's an unwritten step(s) in instructions, that should be obvious, but aren't to me.  Maybe the 2Wire has a problem.  It WAS a "refurbished" unit - obvious wear on it's case.

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Expert

Automatic DHCP on the WAN port sounds correct.

To troubleshoot, why don't you connect your PC directly to the 2WIRE LAN port and see if that works.  If it does, that means the 2WIRE is working and giving out addresses via DHCP.  Maybe a reset to factory settings on the WRT54 is in order?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11
Teacher

1) Not sure I understand  - "connect your PC directly to the 2WIRE LAN port and see if that works."

That's the way it's always (normally) connected.  I have no problems getting PC internet connection, when connected to 2Wire LAN; nor problems w/ other devices on 2Wire LAN. 

Maybe you mean w/ other specific settings CHANGED in 2Wire, along w/ changes made in the Linksys - or another scenario, I'm not understanding?

In 2Wire > FW > Applications, there's a box below connected devices to enter an IP address & button: "Choose."  Would that have application here?

2) **  Once Linksys router's been changed to Automatic DHCP, restarted - do ALL other devices need to be disconnected from 2Wire LAN, before it'll start assigning IP to the router?

3) ** Again, IF... the 3600HGV DOES assign an IP to the router, w/ PC ethernet still connected to Linksys, should I be able to access 2Wire UI, by typing it's address in browser (192.168.1.254)?  [I've no experience w/ the 3600hgv]

BECAUSE - instructions say, after the router is assigned IP address via DHCP, THEN log back into 2Wire.

I ASSUME that means should be able to access 2Wire UI, W/O switching PC ethernet cable back to 2Wire??

Thanks again.

Yes, I'd thought of / mentioned resetting Linksys to factory default.  Not sure of any downside to that.  But, it WAS previously specifically set up for ADSL / PPPoE.

4) If get it to working, will I enter DNS server addresses in the router, or will 2Wire (in "bridge" mode) still handle that?

Now, there are no DNS entries in the router.

Message 5 of 11
ACE - Expert

bozboz wrote:

1) Not sure I understand  - "connect your PC directly to the 2WIRE LAN port and see if that works."

That's the way it's always (normally) connected.  I have no problems getting PC internet connection, when connected to 2Wire LAN; nor problems w/ other devices on 2Wire LAN. 

That's what I meant.  Okay, great so far.

In 2Wire > FW > Applications, there's a box below connected devices to enter an IP address & button: "Choose."  Would that have application here?

This is for opening ports through the firewall.  Normally, one puts your router in the DMZplus zone in the 3600 so all unsolicited traffic is forwarded to your router, which means no firewall rules in the 3600.  Unless you want your router treated as an access point, which would be a different configuration.

2) **  Once Linksys router's been changed to Automatic DHCP, restarted - do ALL other devices need to be disconnected from 2Wire LAN, before it'll start assigning IP to the router?

No, the router is just another device.  It's fine to leave them connected to the 3600.  The only issue is if you want to communicate between devices connected to the 2WIRE and those connected directly to the WRT.

3) ** Again, IF... the 3600HGV DOES assign an IP to the router, w/ PC ethernet still connected to Linksys, should I be able to access 2Wire UI, by typing it's address in browser (192.168.1.254)?  [I've no experience w/ the 3600hgv]

BECAUSE - instructions say, after the router is assigned IP address via DHCP, THEN log back into 2Wire.

I ASSUME that means should be able to access 2Wire UI, W/O switching PC ethernet cable back to 2Wire??

Thanks again.

The assumption in the instructions is that you've moved your connection from the 2WIRE to the WRT54 while you were working on it, and that you've been closing browser windows as you go.  At this point in the instructions, the WRT54 should have gotten its own address, and should have given your PC a different address on a different subnet from what the 2WIRE gave it, i.e. something like 192.168.2.10 (WRT) vs 192.168.1.10 (2WIRE), because the router (as a router) needs a new subnet.  The WRT should route a request from 192.168.2.xxx to 192.168.1.254.

Yes, I'd thought of / mentioned resetting Linksys to factory default.  Not sure of any downside to that.  But, it WAS previously specifically set up for ADSL / PPPoE.

PPPoE is used with ADSL but is not used with VDSL2.  There's nothing on the VDSL2 network to validate your credentials.  Resetting to factory shouldn't be necessary, but it puts us back to a more "known" state from which to troubleshoot. 

4) If get it to working, will I enter DNS server addresses in the router, or will 2Wire (in "bridge" mode) still handle that?

Now, there are no DNS entries in the router.

Once the WRT actually successfully obtains a DHCP response from the 3600, it will get 2 DNS addresses from the 3600 and hand them out to any device that requests DHCP from it.  Some people use their own router for the express purpose of being able to put DNS server addresses of their own choosing in so that the clients will get their choice of DNS servers instead of AT&T's.  There are pluses and minuses to this.

Message 6 of 11
Teacher

Reset Linksys WRT54GL to factory defaults.  Even ran the Linksys router setup disk (not much to it, except does some "checking").  After powering off / on 2Wire & linksys, no changes.  Could be defect in 2Wire or the Linksys or another setting.

Question on ROUTER's setup in section:

Network Address

Server Settings (DHCP)

DEFAULT Router SETTINGS were:

DHCP Server:  Enable

Starting IP address:  192.168.1.100

1)  using the router behind 3600HGV, should the router HAVE IT'S DHCP SERVER ENABLED?  I'm guessing yes. The 2Wire has it's own default range:

Private Network DHCP Info   Range 192.168.1.64 – 192.168.1.253

So, I changed the router DHCP range to 192.168.1.64.  No difference so far.  Won't assign router an IP.

Did more reading on this gateway & routers.  Some mention the subnet mask should be diff in the modem & router (not sure why, or if true).  Hasn't made a difference.

Another post mentioned getting new IP address thru Windows command prompt (on cable modem):

http://www.elifulkerson.com/articles/router-vs-comcast.php

4. Plug your computer into the router, leaving the router unplugged from the cable modem.

5. Use ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew to get an IP address from the router.

I did that for grins.  It came back w/ a router IPv4 address of 192.168.1.101 (that was before I changed router DHCP range to x.x.x.64).  Not sure what to make of it, but Windows is showing the router has an address - that's NOT 127.0.0.1. - which shows in the router UI.  The rest of that post's steps didn't get the router an IP address.

There may be a router setting, messing up the process, or the router and / or 2Wire have a defect.

Still using the Linksys stock firmware.  I don't know if using 3rd party firmware - DD-WRT or Tomato would have remote chance of helping get the router an IP.

If you install 3rd party firmware on (this) router, can you uninstall & revert / reinstall mfg firmware?

Message 7 of 11
ACE - Expert

One thing I see is that you need to tell your WRT to change its LAN address to a different subnet from the one the 2WIRE 3600 is using (192.168.1.0).  Typically, people change it to (192.168.2.0).  This will affect the DHCP range that it hands out.

Before we go down this road any farther than we already have...  What is it that you want this Linksys router to do for you?  Maybe we should be going for a different configuration that will do what you need.

Message 8 of 11
Teacher

Thanks JefferMC, Not sure if you saw my edit to OP - solved (I think).  At least, getting IP for router.

1) Re:  changing router LAN (Interface Access) address.  Router & 3600HGV never had SAME addresses - not exact same.  3600's default address is 192.168.1.254; Linksys router was always default 192.168.1.1.

2) Though the addresses weren't EXACTLY same, my edit in comment #1 states, I found info - would need to change router address to 192.169.2.1.  Not sure WHY that caused 2Wire to recognize & assign IP to router, but did.  Addresses weren't identical, before.

3) Other queston:  Once 3600HGV assigns router an IP AND is in DMZPlus mode, what about DNS provider addresses in router setup and / or in 2Wire?  In this config., will / should the router be doing DNS; the 3600 still handles that, or users' choice?

1st time I changed router LAN address to 192.168.2.1 & got an IP, the 2Wire assigned (shown in router Status) - subnet mask= 255.255.252.0; a "DNS 1" = 192.168.1.254 (not really a DNS address, but may be irrelevant).  NO values in DNS2 / 3. 

So, I entered the 3600's default DNS addresses (68.94.156 / 157.1) for DNS 1 & 2 in router's setup.

After restart 2Wire, router Status shows those 2 (real) addresses under for DNS 1 & 2.  DNS 3 - now shows 192.168.1.254.  Not sure if having DNS addresses in BOTH 2Wire ("bridged") & in router is a conflict.  Or which one would better handle DNS, now the 3600 is in DMZPlus?  [I don't know 3600's ability to let a router handle DNS, e.g., it sending the router DNS3 addr 192.168.1.254]

Re:  What do I want the Linksys router to do.  A) See if could get faster ACTUAL speeds (not test site speeds), than the 3600 router.  In limited testing after connected router, may BE getting a bit faster speed (using only stock firmware).

W/ 3600HGV's router, ACTUAL d/l speeds consistently maxed at 10.96 Mbps on a 12 Mbps line, though "speed tests" consistently showed 11.5 Mbps d/l.  But speed tests aren't "real world." 

B) DEFINITELY higher encryption strength (wireless key).  Linksys allows up to 256 Bit encryption KEY; alpha numeric & ALL special chars.  I USE 256 Bit key WITH added entropy.  3600 - ONLY allows up to 128 bit key -"26-digit hexadecimal number." (NO special characters).  Details Here  

C) Likely, more reliable connection;

D) Choice of DNS providers - I hope.

E) More control over router.  Though WRT54GL is older technology, probably much higher quality than 3600's router (more consistent connection & speeds).

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Expert

Okay, glad you've made some forward progress.

The 2WIRE gives its own address as the DNS resolver, you are correct.  It accepts DNS requests from clients, forwarding any requests that it doesn't have a cached answer for to the DNS addresses it has.  Once it gets a response, it caches it on the 2WIRE making for faster resolution (of course, the client machines are also performing caching, so it's not a great big deal).

If you only goal for the WRT was to provide a better wireless security, the simpler thing to have done was to connect one of its LAN port to a LAN port of the 2WIRE, and turn off its DHCP feature instead of setting it up as a router behind the RG.  In this way it acts as an Wireless Access Point/Switch, but not as a router.

The WRT may help speed by acting as a router with the 2WIRE passing traffic with less "intrusion" coming from the DMZplus device.  It may not, your results may vary.

Message 10 of 11
Teacher

Thanks again.  Been quite a few hrs & router still has connection - good.  We'll see what happens after 24 hrs & IP leases renew.

1) Why did changing Linksys local address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 make ALL the difference in getting an IP from the 2Wire, when its original address was never same as 3600HGV?  And if making that change is a "known requirement," why did it take reading many dozens of posts; many people replying to my posts - other forum (that didn't mention it)? 

Not dissing anyone, but took a LONG time to find that tidbit.  Seems it'd be mentioned a lot, unless peculiar to a few routers w/ certain factors.  IOW, what made you "see" that I needed to change that? "Typically, people change it to (192.168.2.0)."  But SomeJoe777 didn't think it was important in instructions here?  Just oversight by almost everyone that's discussed it?  In my case, was THE key factor.

No, wireless security wasn't my ONLY reason to use the Linksys (as mentioned in my reasons), but is ONE.

FWIW, pages that I haven't visited before or in long time seem to load faster, now the router is handling DNS (even though using same DNS addresses as 2Wire was).  May be an illusion.  But,  ran GRC's DNS benchmark tool, before & after router was connected.  In test "conclusions," w/ router connected, it shows the DNS addresses entered in the router as "being used by my system."  Don't know how reliable the test is in determining that.

BUT... it shows the Linksys DNS addresses (VS the 192.168.1.254 “homeportal - Local Network Nameserver- used by 2Wire router) as being MUCH faster than the 2Wire router.  Whether this is all accurate & the exact differences (firmware, circuitry) between WRT54GL & 3600's router - not sure. 

With Uverse & 3600HGV, 1st thing I noticed is many pages didn't load very fast, compared to 3 Mbps DSL & 2Wire gateway in bridge w/ my Linksys behind it.  Not speeds you'd expect.  DNS benchmark seemed to support the 3600HGV's router - handled DNS requests WERE slow - by a lot VS others. 

Now w/ router connected, same benchmark shows its DNS requests (providers) as being MUCH faster than the 192.168.1.254 Home Portal.  Though the "real" DNS addresses (entered in 2Wire router) - used by the "Home Portal"  are exact same ones I entered in the Linksys.  Maybe it's not an illusion.

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support