Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Rotary Phone: how do I set up?

Tutor

Rotary Phone: how do I set up?

Hi,

I have an old rotary phone and I'd like to make and receive calls from it. It will not be secondary line, but it would share the line with my 4 station Panasonic cordless phone.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 19
Teacher

Re: Rotary Phone: how do I set up?

I have a rotary phone from the 50's that used to work, untill a couple months ago. Now, I get a dial tone, and can answer and talk. But, I cannot dial out, and the phone won't ring.

I am on AT&T land-line service, not U-Verse.

Did they change something at AT&T to discontinue support for rotary dialing?

Message 16 of 19
Contributor

I'm told that the old rotary phones won't work on the new VOIP systems because the don't carry the wattage necessary to make the ringer work.
Please advise
Rick
Message 17 of 19
Contributor

I have a rotary phone, too. It will not work. If you plug directly into the wall jack, calls can be received, but not made. Call the phone company and ask they switch you to a pulse dial ability, then you can receive and make calls, however you won't be able to use your cordless phones with out a separate line (not jack...line).

Message 18 of 19
Contributor

This isn't true. I have a rotary phone and it rings. I can receive calls, but can't make them. I need to call AT&T and ask for "pulse calling ability." They should be able to switch it for you. However, keep in mind that non-rotary phones (cordless), cannot be used once this is switched over. In order to use cordless phones another line (not jack...line) needs to be added.

Message 19 of 19
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support