Roku

Tutor

Roku

We have our U-verse coming into the HDM1 port on our TV, and our PS3 into the HDM2 port.  

Now I need to add a Roku HD player.  There is not an HDM3 port; it has TV, AV, SV, and Component input selections.  How can I add the Roku in to the mix ?

Message 1 of 5 (359 Views)
ACE - Guru

Re: Roku

You could use one of these.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (352 Views)
ACE - Expert

pghiii - Probably the simplest & least expensive choice is to connect U-verse via component cables and put the Roku on the freed up HDMI.

There are active and passive HDMI switches and splitters you can Google for. Just be sure to get one where the TV is on the one port side & the other devices on the multi-leg side.

There are also converters if you want to convert the HDMI to component, but, that seems like going in the wrong direction.

How about a new TV?? Maybe a smart TV, so you do not need the Roku.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (349 Views)
Tutor

Thanks -- I had wondered if these existed for HDMI but hadn't researched
(just something else to wonder if it works well !). Takes my back to my
multi-switched audio & video days when there weren't enough inputs/outputs
built in to older but more than adequate devices. (Still have a fine
little LXI bookshelf system from Sears I think -- 1981, that I need to hook
back up after it was dethroned from its spot in the den.)

Does 'intelligent' mean that it should detect which device is actively
streaming to it & pass that thru to the TV ?
(Sort of like some VCRs etc. would.)
Message 4 of 5 (343 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

pghiii - Yes intelligent would mean auto select. It would seem manual/remote select would be more reliable. But, why would you do that if you do not have to?

I believe my son has been using one of these - http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1-Out-Auto-Switch-Cable/dp/B0018DQYQ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307119901&s...

Are you avoiding using component cables for U-verse?? http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Component-Video-Cable-Audio/dp/B001ID829O/ref=pd_rhf_dp_shvl1
Message 5 of 5 (332 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.