Ridiculous Uverse Internet Installation Charge

Tutor

Ridiculous Uverse Internet Installation Charge

Ok, so Comcast pretty much has the internet monopoly and charges $60/mo for 15Mb internet around here. In my previous location I had 40Mb for $40/mo. I want to switch to Uverse and bundle with my wireless to get 18Mb for $40/mo however this $100 modem + $150 installation fee will negate the $20/mo I'd be saving my switching to Uverse. My house is already pre-wired for Uverse as I had the TV and internet for a while but canceled and switched to DTV. So I think paying $150 for a tech to come in and "turn on" my internet in 10-15 min is nuts.

So what is to stop me from ordering TV + Internet and therefore waiving the install fee, having them come hook it up, and then the very next day canceling the TV and therefor bypassing the ridiculous installation fees? Anything? 

Message 1 of 11 (50,739 Views)
Master

Re: Ridiculous Uverse Internet Installation Charge

Believe since your house is already pre-wired I'd go for the high speed internet self install where U-verse sends you a kit/modem and you DIY. You will avoid the installation fee this way. You may want to check to see if there's an activation fee which they sometimes charge but ask that it be waived since you're bundling wireless with it.

Good luck.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 2 of 11 (50,735 Views)
Professor

Self install would be the way to go but you'll still have to pay for the modem.

Message 3 of 11 (50,729 Views)
Tutor

How do I do a self-install, this is never offered to me?

Message 4 of 11 (50,726 Views)
Tutor

Ok, so I spoke with a sales person on live chat about the Self-Install and he started the order only to end with this.... more time wasted.

Yajaira: Which speed are you interested in?

Curtis: the 18Mb

Yajaira: Unfortunately because of the speed, you are not able to self install

Curtis: ok so what speed is eligible for self-install?

Yajaira: One moment while I look further.

Yajaira: Unfortunately self install is not available in your area.

Yajaira: You can only choose a technician installation.

Curtis: ok, thank you for your time. Cancel that request then

Yajaira: You're welcome.

Message 5 of 11 (50,719 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Self installation would not be available for the Max Plus (18/1.5) and Max Turbo (24/3) internet plans because a tech is required onsite for the installation.  Self installs are an option for the lower internet plans in areas where it is available.

You can have TV installed and cancel it at some point after the install to avoid the installation fee.  Since you would be eligible for rebates based on your installed services, you would probably want to keep the TV service until after you have received all of your rebates.

Maybe you will decide to keep U-verse TV!  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11 (50,711 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I had the Uverse TV and it was Ok at best. The channel lineup was missing a key channel for my kid (PBS Sprout) unless I went to the U300 which is too much money just to have one channel and the guide is extremely slow to navigate compared to Cable and Dish. And the combined billing is ridiculous unless you want to plan a savings account to deposit money into for 3 months. Takes 2-3 billing cycles to set it up and then you get a $600+ bill. I spent the next 3 months trying to pay that off alongside the combined $220/month for TV, Internet, Wireless even though the rep told me it wouldn't be over $200 month.

Eventually I just canceled because I couldn't afford it and then the Wireless Dept and Uverse department apparently had and still have a disconnect because they both billed me wireless for the last month and refuse to remove the $90 charge because Uverse "sent wireless" the money and wireless says they didn't get it from Uverse but in fact they got the $90 from me so wireless says I'm personally paid up and Uverse says I owe them the $90 they sent to "wireless". Talk about a cluster... I even faxed both bills to Uverse and still haven't heard back from them after a week. And I have a collection company calling me non-stop now. Fantastic!

I'll stick with my DirecTV now for $42/mo and refer everyone I can so I won't even have a bill. Take note Uverse.

Message 7 of 11 (50,702 Views)
Contributor

yup.   In the middle of installation now, battling a $99 charge.

Got forced into Uverse upgrade, the self installation unsuccessful.  Tech support advised might be a charge IF inside wires were problem ("such as a squirrel eating through the wires", she actually said).  Technician showed up demanding $99 up front. huh?!

Nice guy, but says the INSIDE wiring not compatible w/ Uverse, thus $99 charge. Tech support manager will/can not waive.

ATT just passing along their upgrade costs.... underhandedly, to offer higher-priced packages.

Hopefully connection speed promises are better than installation process.  we'll see.

Message 8 of 11 (48,145 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

chrisvanOCinternet wrote:

yup.   In the middle of installation now, battling a $99 charge.

Got forced into Uverse upgrade, the self installation unsuccessful.  Tech support advised might be a charge IF inside wires were problem ("such as a squirrel eating through the wires", she actually said).  Technician showed up demanding $99 up front. huh?!

Nice guy, but says the INSIDE wiring not compatible w/ Uverse, thus $99 charge. Tech support manager will/can not waive.

ATT just passing along their upgrade costs.... underhandedly, to offer higher-priced packages.

Hopefully connection speed promises are better than installation process.  we'll see.

Welcome.  Most internet / TV / phone providers charge for installation (though often waived or discounted to get your business).  Try contacting Alex, one of the AT&T Community Managers for further assistance.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 11 (48,066 Views)
Contributor

I don't get it, I am trying to upgrade my DSL to Xtreme 6.0 and it keeps re-directing me to U-Verse and telling me I am at the max for my DSL, UHHHH NO I AM NOT!!!!! I am only on the Xtreme 3.0 plan.  It seems that they are just trying to push me in to the U-Verse and charge me the installation fee....uggg this company is killing me I already cancelled my phone service because they were charging me so much money for a phone I never used, I guess I will have to start looking for another internet provider too, from what I have seen here, there is no way no how that they will wave the installation charge, and I refuse to pay when all they have to do is upgrade my DSL!

Message 10 of 11 (26,399 Views)
Employee

You are correct, if your in a location that has been turned green for uverse there is no more ordering. dsl or upgrade DSL
Your choices are stay on current plan, upgrade to uverse with associated charges for new RG, could try self install to save costs.
Or ?....best to you as you evaluate the options.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 11 (26,391 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.