Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 14, 2013
7:07:38 AM
View profile
Rg connection to NID
I have uverse TV and Internet. No phone. I just switched from a coax to cat5 from the outside NID to the RG. There is a splitter in the NID that splits POTS and VDSL2. The VDSL2 out is a coax connector that used to run directly to the RG. This module is connected to the uviversal line module at the top of the NID. I have connected the new cat5 twisted pair directly to the universal line module at the top of the NID and the other end to a phone jack in the house. Everything seems to work fine, but I can't help but wonder if this is the correct way to wire the phone jack to the NID. Is there supposed to be a different splitter in there?
I have uverse TV and Internet. No phone. I just switched from a coax to cat5 from the outside NID to the RG. There is a splitter in the NID that splits POTS and VDSL2. The VDSL2 out is a coax connector that used to run directly to the RG. This module is connected to the uviversal line module at the top of the NID. I have connected the new cat5 twisted pair directly to the universal line module at the top of the NID and the other end to a phone jack in the house. Everything seems to work fine, but I can't help but wonder if this is the correct way to wire the phone jack to the NID. Is there supposed to be a different splitter in there?

Rg connection to NID

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 7:27:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Jul 14, 2013 at 8:03:21 AM

mahler9 - Good Question. I dunno. But, I am interested because I have COAX & also wonder if I need a new module in the NID to switch to cat5. This is a good question for my thoughts when he sees it.

The good news is it works. You did try the TV with the phone off hook?? I guess the filter is for the phone & is unchanged. The balun is necessary to match the COAX & cat5 matches impedance with the drop cable directly.

Also, there is the possibility that the U_verse is on one pair & the POTS on another. The only open question would be does the impedance match??

mahler9 - Good Question. I dunno. But, I am interested because I have COAX & also wonder if I need a new module in the NID to switch to cat5. This is a good question for my thoughts when he sees it.

The good news is it works. You did try the TV with the phone off hook?? I guess the filter is for the phone & is unchanged. The balun is necessary to match the COAX & cat5 matches impedance with the drop cable directly.

Also, there is the possibility that the U_verse is on one pair & the POTS on another. The only open question would be does the impedance match??

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Rg connection to NID

[ Edited ]
2 of 5 (456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 2:13:59 PM
(0)
Contributor
The good news is it works. You did try the TV with the phone off hook??

I don't have a phone or phone service.
The good news is it works. You did try the TV with the phone off hook??

I don't have a phone or phone service.

3 of 5 (418 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 6:33:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mahler9 wrote:

In an original cat5e install I have, the installer put a balun in that split the signal to phone inside lines and a 2 pair connection the cat5e is connected to. 

So, if you have trouble, they might charge you a truck roll fee since you changed the connection in the Nid though. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

mahler9 wrote:

In an original cat5e install I have, the installer put a balun in that split the signal to phone inside lines and a 2 pair connection the cat5e is connected to. 

So, if you have trouble, they might charge you a truck roll fee since you changed the connection in the Nid though. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 8:08:40 PM
(0)
Employee
Your wiring will work OK, without the vdsl splitter that would be correct.
Some techs do not like the line module and will direct connect either the vdsl splitter or Inside Wiring to the gel protector

If desire to use splitter, is the yellow wire grounded to ground lug with house ground, otherwise no benefit (surge protection)

From the coax connection two wires go to splitter, lift connection and unplug these wires,
move your new wire pair from line mod to yellow/black connection on DSL splitter, close (squeeze) the connector. Done.
Your wiring will work OK, without the vdsl splitter that would be correct.
Some techs do not like the line module and will direct connect either the vdsl splitter or Inside Wiring to the gel protector

If desire to use splitter, is the yellow wire grounded to ground lug with house ground, otherwise no benefit (surge protection)

From the coax connection two wires go to splitter, lift connection and unplug these wires,
move your new wire pair from line mod to yellow/black connection on DSL splitter, close (squeeze) the connector. Done.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 5 (383 Views)