Response to: Re: AT&T LIES AND CHEATS ITS CUSTOMERS

Contributor

Response to: Re: AT&T LIES AND CHEATS ITS CUSTOMERS

[ Edited ]

3 decades.  In February of 2013 I was price shopping cable/phone/internet services (I was with another vendor for cable and internet).  At my specific request, the AT&T representative quoted me a non-promotional rate for the requested services (*see note below).   After 2 days of being on the phone with the competing service providers, AT&T offered the best savings available.  I consented to move forward at the agreed upon (non-promotional) rate to engage AT&T services. 

6 Months later (August 2013 - Statement) I see that in fact the representative quoted me a promotional rate and omitted that the rate was promotional in our communications.    I contacted a customer service rep at AT&T this morning, and they are inferring that I was at fault and forgot this was a promotional rate. 

*NOTE:  I was not under contract with my existing vendors for their services (i.e. no promotional rates).  I specifically requested a non-promotional rate so I could perform my due diligence for the specific intended goal of performing long-term budget forecasting of these services.

As of today, AT&T's solution was to lower my bill to the originally agreed upon quote.  However, they would also need to reduce my services as well to provide me the originally quoted rates.    It is my opinion, that AT&T has broken their agreement with one of their long valued customers and are possibly in breach of contract. 

My Initial Resolution Plan: 

A.  I will be sending certified letters to each of the Board of Directors and to the Director For Public Policy  & Corporate Reputation Committee via The Office of the Secretary . 

B.  I will be sending copies of the letters to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) - Enforcement Bureau which is the Federal body that governs phone/internet/cable services.

{Inappropriate content removed}

Message 1 of 8 (2,099 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Response to: Re: AT&T LIES AND CHEATS ITS CUSTOMERS

Hello, Betsygordon! Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with your U-verse pricing. We can get you in touch with our team of managers, and they will do everything they can to help get this resolved. Just send a private message to ATTCustomerCare by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. It might be a good idea to include an alternate phone number, just in case. Please keep in mind that it may take up to two business days to receive a reply, but this team is awesome and will work very hard to get your problem fixed.

Thanks!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8 (2,036 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

AT&T is nothing but a corporate crook! I and my entire extended family and most of my friends that use or have used AT&T agree that they quote you a price for service (my problems have been promotions), then they blatantly refuse to bill that amount. They force you to call them to get a "credit" so your bill supposedly is corrected to the promotion you entered into a contract with them to receive. When you tire of the dreaded 2 hour long monthly call to credit your bill, you start to call every other month. Then you get late fees. They do not credit fees unless you want to stay on the phone, running up your cellphone bill for an additional 2 hours and be shifted around to 4 more "departments". After you have been on the phone with them several hours they always disconnect you so you have to call back and start over again. I have spent and I kid you not entire 8 hour days doing nothing but holding, being connected to the next rep "that can help me" 5 times, waiting on a supervisor, being disconnected on the call with a supervisor, calling back and starting over again numerous times until I finally give.up. For the day. That's what they want you to do. Give up. That's what my in-laws have done. The bill is always wrong. They have called and experienced the zone defense and hours on the phone so that now, like millions of other customers, it's just not worth the time and aggravation to call to correct the bill, so they just pay the over-billed amount! Same thing my mother used to do with the family wireless bill. They give up and just pay it. That is fraud! It is predatory practices! It is taking advantage of the elderly. Think about how many customers they have. If they over-bill each one by a dime a month - how much more profit do they make? Does that not lead to falsely increased value of AT&T stock? What kind of fraud is that?
I had At&T DSL for a couple of years and they always charged double the agreed upon price. I finally just stopped the back n forth & saved myself the headache. I paid the supposed back due balance and they credited it to my account the day after they turned off service. Then pout my account in collections. I ignored it. I had grossly overpaid them yet they put me in collections? Later, my ex-turned new again boyfriend (if 40-something's can call their men boyfriends?), was tired of no Internet and said ok let me handle this! Ok. Knock yourself out! So, he calls and UVERSE had just come out. So they easily agree to forget the balance they still claim owed for us to start UVERSE service. We are to pay $111 up front. But not to worry, we'll receive a $100 gift Visa card to pay back the $100 of it. Yeah right. Internet - their FASTEST speed for the price of the lowest speed for 12 months and there will be no transfer unhook / hook back up fees when we move ( already knew we'd be moving into a new neighborhood as soon as we could to switch to better gifted program for my son). And the rep promised we would NOT HAVE TO CALL TO GET THE BILL CREDITED & CORRECTED AGAIN EVERY MONTH! This promo price ($24.95) would be billed correctly. Uh-no. Another year of calling. And you have to pay them an addition $5 to even get an indecipherable bill in the mail. For 2 months we couldn't figure out how to get a bill. Oh! They create an email for you to go check to get your bill. Really? I already have several email addresses and they had two of them. But they couldn't send the bill there. Then they have no control over your ability to access detailed over-billing info.
Fast forward to today. Two residences later - nothing has changed. Despite hours upon hours of cell hone anytime minutes wasted and countless hours of my time spent re-explaining the same problem. But, apparently every new person you speak to at AT&T cannot read because I know my account has the problem and the calls logged right there but I have to start over with each one.
I love the UVERSE product. I hate that AT&T is the provider. I cannot even cancel my account because they claim I owe them over $200 a month now for my service which I was sold as what? a promo bundle! and the TV is supposed to be $42.01/month (wireless receivers & the DVR came with) and Internet (fastest speed for lowest price) $24.95/month. With the $11 they charge me every month for late payment (because I don't pay what I don't owe ) and Internet equipment charges (that is a whole other raqet), and then taxes (which they do not refund proportionately based on the actual price after credit (unlawful dales tax retention), so how does $42.01 + 24.95 + 11 = over $200 a month? Forgive me, I am just an attorney, not an accountant, but I am certain that is " funny math". Oh now don't forget they charge you $30 for Internet & $30 for TV to have them " reconnected" when their overcharging is the cause of my non-payment and it is one account with one set of equipment delivering the service so how is that 2 different "reconnect" fees? And they don't reconnect they just lift the " treatment" status off your account when you pay what they want you to pay all the while acknowledging you don't owe that $. So for several months I pay the over-billed amount because I am so sick of calling and being put through the gauntlet. Then each month they raise the ante - higher and higher until I cannot, on principle alone, pay that! Then the calling marathons begin.
Your account is is " treatment" so they say I must pay the amount I do not owe and wait 3 days and they will go in and credit the bill and fix it. Then credit my account. There are enless reasons why this is absurd. Not the least of which is I am loaning AT&T money every month. They will only repay me a portion of the money I loaned them and only in value in future service. That is offensive on every level. Yet here we are again. After 6 hours of calling last time, a supervisor disconnected the line. The call did not drop. SPRINT my AWESOME wireless carrier notifies me on my iPhone 5 when a call is dropped. And conveniently it was already after 6pm so calling back is not possible & I wouldn't think I would have to anyway as the person said they were re-entering the promo price blah blah blah. Now, not willing to start the dreaded phone call, I just got a payment extension to buy time till I had the whole day and two cell phone batteries to deal with them. Uh no. I just got a disconnect for non payment again for over $200 and by the way, these notices never arrive until it's 3 business days before the disconnect date thereby ensuring your account will be in " treatment" and you will have to loan them money again and they will refuse to repay you, will not correct the account in 3 days after payment anyway and refuse to cancel ypur service because they say you owe money you do not owe. So, what can I do? Well, the only solution I see is to *

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines] report them to regulatory agencies and make sure everyone I can reach knows that AT&T is forming / has formed a new monopoly (can't switch to Dish or Direct bc they ate now apparently riun by ATT also, that they are unabashed theives and committ fraud and use predatory practices in billing, customer communications and collections. my damages are easy to prove - after all - I have been in "treatment" well over the Eason's basic 3 months! (lawyer joke)!

But my anger is no joke! I will have justice served.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 3 of 8 (1,880 Views)
Contributor

Please excuse the typos. My eyesight is not great so I miss some with this tiny type font and I am typing all this on the IPhone's narrow-keyed virtual keyboard LOL THE IPHONE FOR WHICH SPRINT PROVIDES WIRELESS SERVICE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT OVER-BILL ME OR USE ANY OF THE OUTRAGEOUS UNETHICAL & ILLEGAL PRACTICES AT&T USES. Sprint just provides a solid, honest, straightforward service and gives great customer service and tech support should you have questions or problems. SPRINT has no need to bait & switch, they actually deliver what they promised at the agreed price. Such a relief to get my cell phone service away from AT&T - now if another company could just provide UVERSE...
Message 4 of 8 (1,877 Views)
Community Manager

Hello, member-2843885!

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for your post!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time with your U-verse bill. If you would like, I can look into this for you. You can send me a private message with your name, email address, phone number, and the best time to reach you. Simply click here to send the message, and check the little blue envelope at the top right corner of your screen for a reply. In the meantime, let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

Thanks!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 8 (1,804 Views)
Contributor

Hi Betsy,

I have similar problems with terrible treatment and lies from AT&T, some of which I have documentation for. Did any of the government departments listen? Do you know who I can report them to that will be likely to be most effective?

Thank you,

Liam.
Message 6 of 8 (1,532 Views)
Contributor

Is this http://www.fcc.gov/complaints the best place?
Message 7 of 8 (1,531 Views)

Applecrumble wrote:
Is this http://www.fcc.gov/complaints the best place?

Instead of wasting your time with any of the alphabet soup agencies. Why don't you take the advice that has been given in nearly 100% of posts concerning your account and send a PM to Customer Care.  Customer Care is not normal customer service.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 8 of 8 (1,501 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.