Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 9, 2013
10:54:23 AM
Residential Gateway for Uverse U450 Service

We just recently because UVerse subscribers again and we love the TV service but are quite unhappy that we were given a router that is only G capable and NOT N capable. 

I found this  Gateway NVG510 online and it was listed under Uverse equipment, but I did a chat with Tech support and they told me it's not compatible with the TV service? How is this possible that Uverse customers that bought the highest package available are being given routers that are not N capable in this day and age? I am very disappointed and actually considering cancelling all together and going back to Comcast. 

Any advice from anyone out there? 

We just recently because UVerse subscribers again and we love the TV service but are quite unhappy that we were given a router that is only G capable and NOT N capable. 

I found this  Gateway NVG510 online and it was listed under Uverse equipment, but I did a chat with Tech support and they told me it's not compatible with the TV service? How is this possible that Uverse customers that bought the highest package available are being given routers that are not N capable in this day and age? I am very disappointed and actually considering cancelling all together and going back to Comcast. 

Any advice from anyone out there? 

Residential Gateway for Uverse U450 Service

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 11:10:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Dec 9, 2013 at 11:11:22 AM

Here's my advice:

Go to your local tech store and purchase your own Wireless Access Point or Router that has dual-band 802.11n (or even 802.11ac) support.  Connect it behind your RG using the instructions from see post 13 in this thread.  Then you'll no longer be at the mercy of your ISP for what kind of wireless access you have in your home.

Here's my advice:

Go to your local tech store and purchase your own Wireless Access Point or Router that has dual-band 802.11n (or even 802.11ac) support.  Connect it behind your RG using the instructions from see post 13 in this thread.  Then you'll no longer be at the mercy of your ISP for what kind of wireless access you have in your home.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Residential Gateway for Uverse U450 Service

[ Edited ]
2 of 10 (329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 11:13:53 AM
(0)
Tutor
I have this set up already actually with my Netgear R6300 but my issue is
because I have the wireless turned off on the RG Unit I am unable to use
the Uverse apps on my phone or iPad.

Any Advice?

--

*Jessie Cochranjcochran1977@gmail.com *
I have this set up already actually with my Netgear R6300 but my issue is
because I have the wireless turned off on the RG Unit I am unable to use
the Uverse apps on my phone or iPad.

Any Advice?

--

*Jessie Cochranjcochran1977@gmail.com *

3 of 10 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 11:24:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
tarheelfan1977 - As I understand it, You need to connect the iphone & ipad to the u-verse network. When you add the R6300, you need to add it to the same network. Is this a LAN-LAN connection?? Do you know how to to that??
tarheelfan1977 - As I understand it, You need to connect the iphone & ipad to the u-verse network. When you add the R6300, you need to add it to the same network. Is this a LAN-LAN connection?? Do you know how to to that??
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 11:27:53 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by cathy2981 on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:13:24 PM

The way we made it work was to connect it to the WAN port not the LAN port.

This makes the R6300 on a different ip range and subnet as opposed to the
tv's and such.

Is there a better way to do it? I am still very disappointed that they do
not offer their Uverse suscribers a better router choice still.

--

*Jessie [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

The way we made it work was to connect it to the WAN port not the LAN port.

This makes the R6300 on a different ip range and subnet as opposed to the
tv's and such.

Is there a better way to do it? I am still very disappointed that they do
not offer their Uverse suscribers a better router choice still.

--

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 11:42:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I have seen posts, but do not know how to do it. You can search or wait for another, more knowledgeable member.
I have seen posts, but do not know how to do it. You can search or wait for another, more knowledgeable member.

6 of 10 (308 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 11:50:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you follow my link in the earlier post (or here: post 13 in this thread) it tells you how to configure your router as an Access Point (which means it's in the RG controlled network), the basics are:

1) Turn off DHCP on your router

2) Connect a router LAN port to an RG LAN port

If you follow my link in the earlier post (or here: post 13 in this thread) it tells you how to configure your router as an Access Point (which means it's in the RG controlled network), the basics are:

1) Turn off DHCP on your router

2) Connect a router LAN port to an RG LAN port

7 of 10 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 12:49:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

Call your installer back.  I just had my residential gateway replaced yesterday because of issues, and the new gateways have N built in now.  It's an NVG589.  It also has the battery backup inside and 4 GigE ports on the back (my old one - installed in May - had a separate UPS and 100Mbps ports)

Call your installer back.  I just had my residential gateway replaced yesterday because of issues, and the new gateways have N built in now.  It's an NVG589.  It also has the battery backup inside and 4 GigE ports on the back (my old one - installed in May - had a separate UPS and 100Mbps ports)

8 of 10 (291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 12:51:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by cathy2981 on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:12:16 PM

Very interesting...
I just chatted forever with their Tech Support and they said that because I
have TV they don't have a new model.. I hope I saved the tech's card that
did my install.

--

Very interesting...
I just chatted forever with their Tech Support and they said that because I
have TV they don't have a new model.. I hope I saved the tech's card that
did my install.

--

[ Edited ]
9 of 10 (289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 12:57:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The NVG 589 does do TV and does have single-band N.  However, its currently only intended to be used for dual pair installations, which apparently you do not need.

Honestly, you'll be better off with a separate device.

The NVG 589 does do TV and does have single-band N.  However, its currently only intended to be used for dual pair installations, which apparently you do not need.

Honestly, you'll be better off with a separate device.

10 of 10 (285 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments