Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 13, 2014
3:24:30 PM
View profile
Resets to add new channels -- hate this
I am unsure where to post this, but it is a huge pet peeve I have. I stay up late (as in 3-4 am) and I often record at night. U-Verse finds this a wonderful time to reboot receivers and add channels. Rarely do I want any of these channels. I lose programs I am watching and recording for nothing. I think we should receive a message when we turn on the tv -- not on some special channel -- that they plan such an upgrade and do we want it. Actually, I am waiting for all these places to let me choose what channels I want and let me pay per channel. The first to for that will have my business. I'm tired of paying for hundreds of channels I could care less about & never getting ones I want because I cannot afford "packages"
I am unsure where to post this, but it is a huge pet peeve I have. I stay up late (as in 3-4 am) and I often record at night. U-Verse finds this a wonderful time to reboot receivers and add channels. Rarely do I want any of these channels. I lose programs I am watching and recording for nothing. I think we should receive a message when we turn on the tv -- not on some special channel -- that they plan such an upgrade and do we want it. Actually, I am waiting for all these places to let me choose what channels I want and let me pay per channel. The first to for that will have my business. I'm tired of paying for hundreds of channels I could care less about & never getting ones I want because I cannot afford "packages"

Resets to add new channels -- hate this

3 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 3:43:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

emaame wrote:

You are more than likely going to be waiting a very, very, very long time.  Ala carte pricing has been discussed in these forums before and plenty of other places.  Networks don't want ala carte, providers don't want to offer ala carte and 95% of pay tv subscribers couldn't afford ala carte.  For example, ESPN is the most expensive network on tv, it runs about $7 / subscriber and includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNN and ESPN3 as well as Watch ESPN.  ESPN is carried on every provider and is usually on even the most basic packages.  Now not everyone who subscribes to pay tv watches ESPN or the other sports channels, buy unbundling from pay tv, ESPN would need to make up that money from somewhere else so they would have to raise the rates for EACH of those channels so that ESPN would probably come in around $20 lets say, ESPN2 $10 and the others $5 each.  Now lets take ABC, ABC deals with providers include ABC, ABC Family, Disney, Disney Jr, Disney XD and a couple of other channels I can't remember.  NBC, they have their own group of channels they own, same for CBS and Fox.  If each of the Networks charged $20 for their main channels you are looking at $80 just for the four networks. I don't know about you, but I'll keep my bundled prices and my lower rates.

Here is proof behind what I'm saying.

More proof

and even more proof

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

emaame wrote:

You are more than likely going to be waiting a very, very, very long time.  Ala carte pricing has been discussed in these forums before and plenty of other places.  Networks don't want ala carte, providers don't want to offer ala carte and 95% of pay tv subscribers couldn't afford ala carte.  For example, ESPN is the most expensive network on tv, it runs about $7 / subscriber and includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNN and ESPN3 as well as Watch ESPN.  ESPN is carried on every provider and is usually on even the most basic packages.  Now not everyone who subscribes to pay tv watches ESPN or the other sports channels, buy unbundling from pay tv, ESPN would need to make up that money from somewhere else so they would have to raise the rates for EACH of those channels so that ESPN would probably come in around $20 lets say, ESPN2 $10 and the others $5 each.  Now lets take ABC, ABC deals with providers include ABC, ABC Family, Disney, Disney Jr, Disney XD and a couple of other channels I can't remember.  NBC, they have their own group of channels they own, same for CBS and Fox.  If each of the Networks charged $20 for their main channels you are looking at $80 just for the four networks. I don't know about you, but I'll keep my bundled prices and my lower rates.

Here is proof behind what I'm saying.

More proof

and even more proof

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Resets to add new channels -- hate this

2 of 4 (340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 7:35:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

I agree with every word you said, oufanindallas. I hate when people say we need pay tv to be a la carte, or cord cutters saying everything can be watched on netflix and hulu plus. I maybe in the minority but I like to watch shows when they're aired not the next day or when the season is over. Plus I'm a sports fan, and the only to watch sports is live.

Emaame, when would you like Att to update their recievers. Off-air time is usally bewteen 2-5am when the least amount people are watching.

I agree with every word you said, oufanindallas. I hate when people say we need pay tv to be a la carte, or cord cutters saying everything can be watched on netflix and hulu plus. I maybe in the minority but I like to watch shows when they're aired not the next day or when the season is over. Plus I'm a sports fan, and the only to watch sports is live.

Emaame, when would you like Att to update their recievers. Off-air time is usally bewteen 2-5am when the least amount people are watching.

3 of 4 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 7:41:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

emaame wrote:

Lets look at your post in two parts:

1. I'm not sure that I have ever lost a recording due to an upgrade or adding new channels.  But then again, I seldom have recordings starting in the wee hours.  I will state that the DVR system is a bit sluggish after 11 PM (local), so it's clear that U-Verse does some work / updating without taking your DVR down.

2. Ala cart pricing: You admit that no on offers it and you are right (but OUFan, it;s closer than you might think).  At one time, it was a bit of wishful thinking.  I will say that providers are actually marching toward that.  Xfinity is offering a $40 Internet/Streaming service that is fairly close to what you seek.  You get Comcast's Local TV Service, HSI and access to both their streaming On Demand catalog, which is most current programs delayed by a day AND streaming HBO. .  It's a non-starter for me, since I like live sports.

emaame wrote:

Lets look at your post in two parts:

1. I'm not sure that I have ever lost a recording due to an upgrade or adding new channels.  But then again, I seldom have recordings starting in the wee hours.  I will state that the DVR system is a bit sluggish after 11 PM (local), so it's clear that U-Verse does some work / updating without taking your DVR down.

2. Ala cart pricing: You admit that no on offers it and you are right (but OUFan, it;s closer than you might think).  At one time, it was a bit of wishful thinking.  I will say that providers are actually marching toward that.  Xfinity is offering a $40 Internet/Streaming service that is fairly close to what you seek.  You get Comcast's Local TV Service, HSI and access to both their streaming On Demand catalog, which is most current programs delayed by a day AND streaming HBO. .  It's a non-starter for me, since I like live sports.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (306 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments