Posted Oct 16, 2013
2:02:40 PM
View profile
Request Consistent Fiber Optic Service for my Neighborhood

After verifying that Uverse was available for my home, I recently had an AT&T tech come out to install Uverse internet at my home.  After 5 hours of trying, including having a line tech come out and climb the pole behind my house, I was told that even though I was supposedly well within the service parameters, including proximity to line and CO, the fiber optic lines in my neighborhood were in bad shape and the service was inconsistent.  So no internet access for me.  I confirmed on our neighborhood facebook page that others in my neighborhood experience the same issue.  The AT&T tech advised me to go with a different carrier, explaining that it was up to AT&T engineering to decide if they would repair the line or install a new line, and said that he had no way of expediting or upgrading my request.  Unfortunately, other carriers in my neighborhood appear to be equally inconsistent...and this in the heart of Los Angeles!  How do I get some attention to this issue?  How do I get in touch with AT&T engineering to find out if they are planning on improving service to my neighborhood?

Request Consistent Fiber Optic Service for my Neighborhood

8 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 4:02:05 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi ingrid_blaauw,

I apologize about all the inconveniences, but I would be glad to investigate this for you. There are many factors that come into line repair, and it is not always as simple as an engineer saying yes or no. I will be sending you a private message to gather more information, so watch for the blue envelope at the top of the page.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Request Consistent Fiber Optic Service for my Neighborhood

2 of 9 (876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 4:08:12 PM
(0)
Edited by Phil-101 on Oct 18, 2013 at 12:18:51 PM

Thank you for your response?.I know many people in my neighborhood are very unhappy with their internet providers and would really like a solution. I understand it is more complicated than an engineer saying yes. I just wanted to at least get it on the table, and have an understanding as to why an entire neighborhood of 250+ homes in the heart of Los Angeles can't get reliable service from AT&T Uverse. I'd at least like a way to communicate my request, and appreciate any insight you can provide.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 11:47:04 AM
(0)
Community Support
Edited by ATTU-verseCare on Oct 18, 2013 at 11:50:28 AM

We have received your message and will be working with you to assist you on this issue.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, we recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 10:04:23 AM
(0)

Thank you so much for helping to facilitate the resolution to my internet issues in my home.  Your assistance and responsiveness has been greatly appreciated; as of Saturday, we now have Uverse internet service in our home.

5 of 9 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 2:49:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Welcome to Uverse

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 9 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2014 3:19:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

When I was approached by ATT to "upgrade" to u-verse internet service, they promised that the high speed fiber optic service was available in Culver City, CA. However, it stops 2 blocks from my residence. We have an entire block ready to dump ATT and move to Time Warner Cable because the service is delivered in old copper phone lines, not the promised faster fiber optic cable. Multiple ATT service technicians have suggested making the jump to TWC because ATT engineers don't release "rollout" plans for fiber optic installations. There is no clear answer as to when we can get the higher speed internet that they have 2 blocks away. Is there anyone that can help facilitate this? Phone representatives have no information or insight in dealing with this service issue.

Re: Request Consistent Fiber Optic Service for my Neighborhood (West LA/Culver City)

7 of 9 (426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2014 8:27:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

U-verse is normally deployed as a mix of fiber to the node, or a VRAD within a mile of your home, then the last mile over copper.  Using two copper pairs, AT&T is currently delivering up to 45 Mbps Internet access, with lab testing showing they can do much better over "old copper."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Request Consistent Fiber Optic Service for my Neighborhood (West LA/Culver City)

8 of 9 (409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 3:54:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

TWC, Comcast, Charter, etc are all still using copper, so your issue with copper is invalid. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

9 of 9 (390 Views)