Repeated requests for MeTV via U Verse

Tutor

Repeated requests for MeTV via U Verse

Why does the U Verse channel guide we periodically receive in Indianapolis, IN CLEARLY state "MeTV" as part of the U200 package AND that it can be accessed on channel 136.  MeTV is NOT on channel 136!  When we were suckered into changing to AT&T a year ago we were told that all we had to do was to request MeTV be added to the channel lineup!  HA!  I DEMAND MY MeTV!!!

Message 1 of 42 (3,995 Views)

Re: Repeated requests for MeTV via U Verse

No METV 136 for Spartanburg SC either. If you are going to add it, just add it to all markets at once! Jerkin' us around....
Message 31 of 42 (883 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

codycooper864 wrote:
No METV 136 for Spartanburg SC either. If you are going to add it, just add it to all markets at once! Jerkin' us around....
Think calm thoughts, lol.  I think that it depends on if it is on a DTV subchannel, or not, in each market.  In our area, MeTV is carried as a subchannel, so AT&T has to work out an agreement with the station.  I'm sure that is the case in such markets and there may be dozens of "case by case" agreements.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 42 (852 Views)
Mentor

Not sure if being a subchannel has any validity, although the subchannel MeTV is on here is for a low-power station (with 4 subchannels, yet!)  It might have more to do with who has the rights to broadcast rather than what kind of station.  ...and, of course, how willing the broadcaster is to sign an agreement.  Come to think of it, the loss of advertising revenue would be a big deal, and the local station, if it's really making money from MeTV, might not want to give that up.

Message 33 of 42 (816 Views)
Scholar

We get ME-TV here in Southeast Wisconsin. There are a number of reasons for this

1. When ME-TV signed on in Milwaukee in 2008 (2009 possibly) it wasn't on a sub channel like most of the ME-TV stations. It was on a full power TV station which Weigel Broadcasting (ME-TV's owner) purchased to run the network on. WBME were the call letters.

2. They went ahead and moved their Low Power station WMLW-CA/LD (41)'s programming to the full power Channel 49, and moved ME-TV to a digital sub channel of WDJT-DT2 (58), however it stayed on U-Verse

How? Well, they had to do something with WMLW-LD (41) so it became WBME-LD (41) and it's carried on U-Verse as WBME-LD, running ME-TV.

They still do not carry Antenna TV, or Bounce, or Movies!, THIS-TV, or any of the other sub channels which operate in the market. Low power TV stations are an exception. 

Message 34 of 42 (768 Views)
Teacher

Does anyone have any new information about when MeTV will be added to ALL markets (or at least to the Fort Lauderdale, FL market)?  I currently am able to barely watch MeTV via my antenna and I really wish I could DVR my shows from there.  Please AT&T... I'm not above begging ;-)

Message 35 of 42 (659 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Stilgar73 wrote:

Does anyone have any new information about when MeTV will be added to ALL markets (or at least to the Fort Lauderdale, FL market)?  I currently am able to barely watch MeTV via my antenna and I really wish I could DVR my shows from there.  Please AT&T... I'm not above begging ;-)

No.  Even the AT&T moderators that are on here, most likely are not privvy to channel negotiation info.  Once in a while, one might get a memo on something but we know as much as you do.  As you probably know, MeTV in your area is a subchannel of WPLG and before placing it on channel 136, AT&T most likely has to reach a deal with Post - Newsweek, who owns WPLG,

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 36 of 42 (638 Views)
Teacher

Just thought I would drop a line in this message thread again and see if anyone had heard any update on MeTV getting added to more/all Uverse markets?  It kills me having to switch over to OTA and not having any DVR capablity with this channel.

Please AT&T, my birthday is coming up and this would be the perfect present ;-) hint, hint!

Message 37 of 42 (510 Views)
Mentor

If you're going the OTA route for watching anything, a Tivo does the job for recording anything you want.  When I had Uverse (I moved, and it's not available - nor will it ever be - here) I also had a Tivo for the 16(!) channels not carried by Uverse, as well as the five or six that were.  It made it worth my while to have a Tivo under those circumstances.  I understand Tivo has a deal now that allows you to pay $99 and get a "lifetime" membership.  Not bad, since, at $19.95/mo after five months you're already ahead.

Message 38 of 42 (478 Views)
ACE - Master

Stilgar73 wrote:

Just thought I would drop a line in this message thread again and see if anyone had heard any update on MeTV getting added to more/all Uverse markets?  It kills me having to switch over to OTA and not having any DVR capablity with this channel.

Please AT&T, my birthday is coming up and this would be the perfect present ;-) hint, hint!

No updates and, in fact, Biloxi, MS is losing their carriage on channel 136.  My gut (totally non-official, as I'm just a subscriber, like you) is that AT&T tried to do an end around and negotiate with MeTV directlly, instead of with the stations and the stations said, "whoa, big boy.  Where's my cut?"  Smiley Wink 

Message 39 of 42 (448 Views)
Teacher

Not really the best news to hear Smiley Frustrated

As time has stretched on, I've been afraid there were some issues like your guessing at.  I'll keep my fingers crossed, but not feeling very hopeful.  It guess I just need to figure out some secondary DVR solution for my OTA stuff.  I just can't bring myself to pay a monthly fee for something like Tivo though.

Message 40 of 42 (445 Views)

Do you have a computer with Windows 7 on it?  You can add a USB tuner and record your OTA stuff with Windows Media Center.   No monthly fees.

Message 41 of 42 (426 Views)
ACE - Master

ethanedwards wrote:

Do you have a computer with Windows 7 on it?  You can add a USB tuner and record your OTA stuff with Windows Media Center.   No monthly fees.

That is another option! 

Just remember, when shopping for tuners, to ensure that it includes at least an ATSC tuner.  I bet there are some of the NTSC only models, still floating about.  A couple of cavaets: 1) you'll have to some antenna to receive the signal.  A stick that has a little popup antennam, will get you little.  If it has a connector, you may have to use an adapter, or a balun/transformer to match the input.  2) Know if the station is transmitting in VHF or UHF.   The channel number that the station calls itself may not be the channel it is transmitting on.  For example, in Indianapolis only WTHR 13 broadcasts on 13.  Our channel 6, uses channel 25, 8 uses 9, and so on.  I have LOTS of issues with our two high VHF stations and I don't know if a USB stick, even fed with a proper VHF or combo antenna would be that great.

Message 42 of 42 (413 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.