Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 4, 2013
11:25:43 AM
View profile
Relocate nid box

Can I move nid box myself?  I am looking to add an entry door where box is located on back side of garage.  House built in 1964 and wiring to nid is underground.  The incoming wire would need to be extended a few feet for ideal nid location.  Right now the 2 incoming conductors splice directly to cat6 cable to modem.  Phone service is magic jack so wall jacks are unused.  What are my options if any?

Can I move nid box myself?  I am looking to add an entry door where box is located on back side of garage.  House built in 1964 and wiring to nid is underground.  The incoming wire would need to be extended a few feet for ideal nid location.  Right now the 2 incoming conductors splice directly to cat6 cable to modem.  Phone service is magic jack so wall jacks are unused.  What are my options if any?

Relocate nid box

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 12:01:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If the burial cable needs to be extended I would not recommend you attempt that yourself unless you have the correct cable, scotch locks, and encapsulation splice kit. 

Personally I would let AT&T move it to the new desired location that way you know it's done correctly all the way to proper grounding, etc.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

If the burial cable needs to be extended I would not recommend you attempt that yourself unless you have the correct cable, scotch locks, and encapsulation splice kit. 

Personally I would let AT&T move it to the new desired location that way you know it's done correctly all the way to proper grounding, etc.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Relocate nid box

2 of 3 (411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 12:24:05 PM
(0)
Employee
Normal move request order is $149.00, if wiring is indeed almost 50 years old, would highly encourage scheduling tech visit, will probably receive 6 new buried cable, new NID, inside wiring moved or replaced NID to RG, new ground wire.

Considering ATT pays several hundreds of dollars to outside contract for buried wire services, all new wiring, nid, etc done by a premise tech who does installs for a living, I think it would be some of the best money values compared to DIY.

But that's just my thoughts
Normal move request order is $149.00, if wiring is indeed almost 50 years old, would highly encourage scheduling tech visit, will probably receive 6 new buried cable, new NID, inside wiring moved or replaced NID to RG, new ground wire.

Considering ATT pays several hundreds of dollars to outside contract for buried wire services, all new wiring, nid, etc done by a premise tech who does installs for a living, I think it would be some of the best money values compared to DIY.

But that's just my thoughts
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Relocate nid box

3 of 3 (404 Views)