Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 25, 2014
4:47:23 PM
View profile
Regulatory Video Cost Recovery Charge
Edited by JefferMC on Jun 26, 2014 at 4:58:25 AM

Just wondering if anyone who is in a position to know would like to challenge the assertion below:

Phillip Dampier (on Stop the Cap!) writes:

... a review of the FCC’s 2013 Fiscal Year fee schedule shows a major discrepancy between the amount AT&T intends to collect from customers and the actual cost of the fee AT&T will have to pay the FCC.

While AT&T will bank $2.88 annually from each television customer, it only has to pay the FCC $1.02 a year per subscriber — a difference of $1.86. That doesn’t sound like much until you factor in the number of AT&T U-verse TV customers. AT&T will pocket $10,602,000 a year in “regulatory cost recovery” charges it will apparently keep for itself.

from: http://stopthecap.com/2014/06/12/att-piles-on-u-verse-junk-fees-say-hello-to-the-24%C2%A2-regulatory...

Further, according to this document (http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0613/FCC-14-88A1.pdf), there will only be a $1.00 a year charge, per subscriber, in the year 2014. It could actually be lower if the FCC ends up billing the DBS providers (like DirecTV and Dish) as if they were Cable or IPTV providers.

Just wondering if anyone who is in a position to know would like to challenge the assertion below:

... a review of the FCC’s 2013 Fiscal Year fee schedule shows a major discrepancy between the amount AT&T intends to collect from customers and the actual cost of the fee AT&T will have to pay the FCC.

While AT&T will bank $2.88 annually from each television customer, it only has to pay the FCC $1.02 a year per subscriber — a difference of $1.86. That doesn’t sound like much until you factor in the number of AT&T U-verse TV customers. AT&T will pocket $10,602,000 a year in “regulatory cost recovery” charges it will apparently keep for itself.

from: http://stopthecap.com/2014/06/12/att-piles-on-u-verse-junk-fees-say-hello-to-the-24%C2%A2-regulatory-video-cost-recovery-charge/

Further, according to this document (http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0613/FCC-14-88A1.pdf), there will only be a $1.00 a year charge, per subscriber, in the year 2014. It could actually be lower if the FCC ends up billing the DBS providers (like DirecTV and Dish) as if they were Cable or IPTV providers.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Regulatory Video Cost Recovery Charge

[ Edited ]
3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2014 5:57:52 PM
(0)
Employee
While not aware of details of FCC rules... if a provision is made for companies to recoup the cost associated with meeting the requirements this may not be out of line.

Depending number of employees in 22 states... the wages... benefits... office space allocated with equipment resource the .15 per account per month to meet the requirement may be correct.

Off topic....
with about 250000 employees at average 30 per hour wage and benefit... suspect low considering health benefits... that is $7.5 million per hour or $125000 per minute not counting electric... water.. fleet transport costs...property taxes and upkeep etc
I sometimes wonder how we can do free 3 to 7 hour installs plus bring in a CIM tech and call support plus any service calls for customers who order 3M internet and voip requiring bonded install for less than 40 per month or $500 per year.... the cost to install is greater than that.
While not aware of details of FCC rules... if a provision is made for companies to recoup the cost associated with meeting the requirements this may not be out of line.

Depending number of employees in 22 states... the wages... benefits... office space allocated with equipment resource the .15 per account per month to meet the requirement may be correct.

Off topic....
with about 250000 employees at average 30 per hour wage and benefit... suspect low considering health benefits... that is $7.5 million per hour or $125000 per minute not counting electric... water.. fleet transport costs...property taxes and upkeep etc
I sometimes wonder how we can do free 3 to 7 hour installs plus bring in a CIM tech and call support plus any service calls for customers who order 3M internet and voip requiring bonded install for less than 40 per month or $500 per year.... the cost to install is greater than that.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Regulatory Video Cost Recovery Charge

2 of 4 (336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2014 11:03:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

JefferMC wrote:

from: http://stopthecap.com/2014/06/12/att-piles-on-u-verse-junk-fees-say-hello-to-the-24%C2%A2-regulatory...

FCC link comes up as 'Page Not Found'. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

JefferMC wrote:

from: http://stopthecap.com/2014/06/12/att-piles-on-u-verse-junk-fees-say-hello-to-the-24%C2%A2-regulatory-video-cost-recovery-charge/

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2014 4:59:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mibrnsurg wrote:

Fixed that in the post, thanks.

mibrnsurg wrote:

Fixed that in the post, thanks.

4 of 4 (296 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments