Receiver Red X and a #1

Receiver Red X and a #1

My DVR has not been recording and it is showing a red X with a number 1 below it.  I have tried resetting, unplugging everything and sometimes it will work for a bit but usually it will then lock up and have a blnk screen then I have to do the reset or unplugging again but now that doesn't seem to work it goes right back to the red X again.  Is there anything else I can do or will this need to be replaced?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Receiver Red X and a #1

cmeisinger- Two things you can do -

Connect the DVR to the RG with a cat5 cable that you know is good.

Do a destructive reboot to see if it got stuck with a partial upgrade. This will erase recordings, as will the next steep - call for replacement.

You must do this on the front panel of the DVR itself, not on the remote:

1. Press and hold down the power button.
2. Within 1 second, also press and hold down the OK and down arrow buttons.
3. All 3 front panel lights (red, green, blue will come on). At this point, release the power button, but continue holding down OK and down arrow.
4. When you see a gear appear on the screen, release OK and down arrow.

The system will reload the factory software from the network. This will take 20-30 minutes, and then the system will reboot.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Employee

Hi cmeisinger,

If you continue to have a RED X after trying the instructions above I can assist you further. I sent you a Private Message in case we need to proceed with a DVR replacement.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 6
Contributor

"Connect the DVR to the RG with a cat5 cable" What is the "RG" ? Please. Mine is connected using RG6 coax cable.
Cold boot gives red X 1. Warm reboot fixes that. and it works for a while. After it is off for a while it all freezes up again, and a warm boot restores the Motorola 1216 to functionality again, till next time, then must reboot again, till wife screams.
Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert

oldew- Re:What is the "RG" ? Please. Mine is connected using RG6 coax cable.

RG is Remote Gateway aka modem - converts "DSL" signal to TV, Internet VOIP.

When the DVR is connected COAX to the RG via COAX it is likely that the RG is fed from the outside via COAX and the addl TVs in the house are fed COAX. Any imperfection anywhere in the COAX network can cause your problem.

Check for tight connections, no barrel connectors and compression fittings on the cable ends.

Can you describe all your connections in the house?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6

You can do whatever short term fix you want but the end reality is you will have to replace it.  I have now had to replace my second DVR.  Starting to get used to losing all of my recordings without any compensation from the company. 

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support