Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 26, 2011
4:30:09 AM
View profile
Random Recordings

Over the last 2 months we have had shows randomly record on channels we do not have recordings set up on. I am the only one in our house that sets up recordings so i know these were not set by someone else. Has anyone else had this problem?

Over the last 2 months we have had shows randomly record on channels we do not have recordings set up on. I am the only one in our house that sets up recordings so i know these were not set by someone else. Has anyone else had this problem?

Random Recordings

23 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 7:03:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Since there is no way to prevent anyone who accesses U-verse from setting up a recording either intentionally or accidentally, is it possible that someone else in your household recorded those programs?

Since there is no way to prevent anyone who accesses U-verse from setting up a recording either intentionally or accidentally, is it possible that someone else in your household recorded those programs?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Random Recordings

2 of 24 (1,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 7:18:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just myself and my wife and she is recording illiterate.  She leaves it up to me and in this case she was out of town.

Just myself and my wife and she is recording illiterate.  She leaves it up to me and in this case she was out of town.

3 of 24 (1,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 8:27:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Try a hard reboot of your DVR by unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in.

Try a hard reboot of your DVR by unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 24 (1,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 8:59:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had the same thing happen, it turned out that all AT&T remotes work with all AT&T set top boxes, so I could be playing a game in my living room and the box in my bedroom would pick up some of the signals from the remote, I have to cover the box in my bedroom so it does not see the remote signal, one day I had 124 scheduled recordings and not ONE did I schedule. not to mention the trouble with AT&T USUCK  II MEAN UVERSE 21 trouble reports, 2 no shows from techs. and one no show from an AT&T MANAGER.  having retired from AT&T I hat to talk bad about them but THIS UVERSE SUCKS BIG TIME, and when you call tech support they want YOU to trouble shoot there system and if it still does not work well then they will send out a tech and MAYBE just MAYBE they will show up.

I had the same thing happen, it turned out that all AT&T remotes work with all AT&T set top boxes, so I could be playing a game in my living room and the box in my bedroom would pick up some of the signals from the remote, I have to cover the box in my bedroom so it does not see the remote signal, one day I had 124 scheduled recordings and not ONE did I schedule. not to mention the trouble with AT&T USUCK  II MEAN UVERSE 21 trouble reports, 2 no shows from techs. and one no show from an AT&T MANAGER.  having retired from AT&T I hat to talk bad about them but THIS UVERSE SUCKS BIG TIME, and when you call tech support they want YOU to trouble shoot there system and if it still does not work well then they will send out a tech and MAYBE just MAYBE they will show up.

5 of 24 (1,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 2:38:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had the same thing happen....turned out to be my 3 yr old hitting buttons!

I had the same thing happen....turned out to be my 3 yr old hitting buttons!

6 of 24 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 3:08:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

Recordings can be set -- and deleted and viewed and -- on the Internet WRA (web remote access).  That is, if someone can log in to your U-Verse online account, they can probably do all that.  I have U-Verse set up on my ATT/Yahoo home page and it can be found at http://uversetv.att.yahoo.com/wra/uverse/#tabs_recorded.

If that isn't you, I'd call AT&T customer support and see if they can reset the password for you to lock out the mysterious person doing that.  Or get better locks for the door of your house. Smiley Happy

Bernie in CT

Recordings can be set -- and deleted and viewed and -- on the Internet WRA (web remote access).  That is, if someone can log in to your U-Verse online account, they can probably do all that.  I have U-Verse set up on my ATT/Yahoo home page and it can be found at http://uversetv.att.yahoo.com/wra/uverse/#tabs_recorded.

If that isn't you, I'd call AT&T customer support and see if they can reset the password for you to lock out the mysterious person doing that.  Or get better locks for the door of your house. Smiley Happy

Bernie in CT

7 of 24 (1,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 7:01:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Is it possible that a neighbor has Uverse.  And their remote control is in range with your one of your stbs.  And when they set up a recording on their system, it is also set up on yours?  I doubt it, but anything is possible.

Is it possible that a neighbor has Uverse.  And their remote control is in range with your one of your stbs.  And when they set up a recording on their system, it is also set up on yours?  I doubt it, but anything is possible.

8 of 24 (1,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2011 4:52:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

Have done this and even reset the entire system. Will try again. 

Thanks

Have done this and even reset the entire system. Will try again. 

Thanks

9 of 24 (1,144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2011 4:54:00 AM
(0)
Contributor
Could be a neighbor but the signal would have to travel pretty far since the closest 2 are on the Dish and Charter.
Could be a neighbor but the signal would have to travel pretty far since the closest 2 are on the Dish and Charter.

10 of 24 (1,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2011 4:57:21 AM
(0)
Contributor
This is possible but don't even remember previewing the shows recorded on another system. There are only 2 of us and my wife doesn't do remotes, let alone recordings. And as far as service, we have had the best service with AT&T. We had Charter and they were by far the worse in this area of TN.
This is possible but don't even remember previewing the shows recorded on another system. There are only 2 of us and my wife doesn't do remotes, let alone recordings. And as far as service, we have had the best service with AT&T. We had Charter and they were by far the worse in this area of TN.

11 of 24 (1,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 6:09:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

We have had same problems but mostly with free programming-things we have set to record do not, things we do not have set (like The Mentalist just the other night) do. Last August, there was a $6 charge on the bill for a Justin Beiber concert. My husband and I are empty nesters. I did not pursue it with customer no-service because it is a MADDENING experience (we're on our third hard drive).

This month's bill arrived today. There are two $45 charges for two boxing matches in Spanish. While initiating an online chat with ATT, the recording light came. Q' Viva! The Chosen started recording. I cannot get resolution on anything because (apparently) 24-hour personal service is not longer offered by att. They're closed until 8 Monday.

Allow me to clear up the "DUH'S" here--my husband and I are empty nesters, no houseguests/housekeepers/housesitters/service techs/grandchildren can explain strange recordings or lack thereof, he didn't do it, I didn't do it, neither of us speak Spanish, both of us would rather sit through an IRS audit than a Beiber concert. As to restarting the modem, etc., we've lost track of how many times we've done that. This is an intermittent, random and increasingly expensive problem. I'm thinking it's someone's remote radio signal. Until Monday when I can speak with a person, does anyone have any insight into this problem with possible solutions?

We have had same problems but mostly with free programming-things we have set to record do not, things we do not have set (like The Mentalist just the other night) do. Last August, there was a $6 charge on the bill for a Justin Beiber concert. My husband and I are empty nesters. I did not pursue it with customer no-service because it is a MADDENING experience (we're on our third hard drive).

This month's bill arrived today. There are two $45 charges for two boxing matches in Spanish. While initiating an online chat with ATT, the recording light came. Q' Viva! The Chosen started recording. I cannot get resolution on anything because (apparently) 24-hour personal service is not longer offered by att. They're closed until 8 Monday.

Allow me to clear up the "DUH'S" here--my husband and I are empty nesters, no houseguests/housekeepers/housesitters/service techs/grandchildren can explain strange recordings or lack thereof, he didn't do it, I didn't do it, neither of us speak Spanish, both of us would rather sit through an IRS audit than a Beiber concert. As to restarting the modem, etc., we've lost track of how many times we've done that. This is an intermittent, random and increasingly expensive problem. I'm thinking it's someone's remote radio signal. Until Monday when I can speak with a person, does anyone have any insight into this problem with possible solutions?

12 of 24 (1,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 6:14:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You need to call CS Monday to report this.  Someone may have gotten access to your account somehow.  If CS doesn't help you send a PM to Alex.  He is an ATT Community Manager on the forum.  He will get you to the right people to get this issue resolved.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

You need to call CS Monday to report this.  Someone may have gotten access to your account somehow.  If CS doesn't help you send a PM to Alex.  He is an ATT Community Manager on the forum.  He will get you to the right people to get this issue resolved.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

13 of 24 (1,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 7:32:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Awesome! Thank you! In the meantime, I placed a lock on all "PURCHASE" programming. I'm not sure that this will help (I know it won't on the rando-free recording situation) but I'm hoping at the least no one else can buy anything on my system. Thanks again. You reduced my frustration level.

Awesome! Thank you! In the meantime, I placed a lock on all "PURCHASE" programming. I'm not sure that this will help (I know it won't on the rando-free recording situation) but I'm hoping at the least no one else can buy anything on my system. Thanks again. You reduced my frustration level.

14 of 24 (1,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2012 11:44:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

Follow up, I have sent a PM to Alex as you suggested and will await his reply.

I've spent a combined 65 minutes on the phone with both CS and tech support today. "Bernie" at CS stopped just short of calling me a liar and a thief before grudgingly allowing one-time credit as a "courtesy". He then went on to give me (a five-year uVerse customer) a for dummies tutorial on how to order PPV programming and how the system is foolproof (in effect reiterating that I've enjoyed PPV without paying for it). A quick look at my account history would show that I order at least one movie or PPV event each billing cycle and it would also show that I have NEVER asked for a credit for said purchases.

I just got off the phone with "Peter" in tech support. He rebooted the system and when I asked him how that solves the PPV problem, he said that it did not. I made three additional attempts to explain to him that it was future charges to my account for PPV I did not order that I am worried about (having used my one-time grace credit). He still did not get it. He just wants me to watch for recording problems over the next three days. He said I might try changing the parental code and that MIGHT help. That does not give me much confidence. 

I will continue wait to see if Alex has any thoughts. 

I've spent a combined 65 minutes on the phone with both CS and tech support today. "Bernie" at CS stopped just short of calling me a liar and a thief before grudgingly allowing one-time credit as a "courtesy". He then went on to give me (a five-year uVerse customer) a for dummies tutorial on how to order PPV programming and how the system is foolproof (in effect reiterating that I've enjoyed PPV without paying for it). A quick look at my account history would show that I order at least one movie or PPV event each billing cycle and it would also show that I have NEVER asked for a credit for said purchases.

I just got off the phone with "Peter" in tech support. He rebooted the system and when I asked him how that solves the PPV problem, he said that it did not. I made three additional attempts to explain to him that it was future charges to my account for PPV I did not order that I am worried about (having used my one-time grace credit). He still did not get it. He just wants me to watch for recording problems over the next three days. He said I might try changing the parental code and that MIGHT help. That does not give me much confidence. 

15 of 24 (1,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2012 3:22:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Alex will be in touch with you.

Alex will be in touch with you.

16 of 24 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2012 7:57:22 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Thank you everyone!

AndeyePayForThisAbuse wrote:

Welcome and thank you for posting.  I'm sorry to hear about the continued trouble.  I received your Private Message and replied. Please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.  We'll get you in touch with the group that can look into it.

Regards,
Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Thank you everyone!

AndeyePayForThisAbuse wrote:

Welcome and thank you for posting.  I'm sorry to hear about the continued trouble.  I received your Private Message and replied. Please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.  We'll get you in touch with the group that can look into it.

Regards,
Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

17 of 24 (1,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 12:50:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue.  I am new to Uverse but noticed almost immediately that random shows were being recorded.  I clear them out when they occur.  I looked today at expanding my line-up and noticed two PPV for HD programming of which I don't subscribe.  I contacted billing and was informed that there is nothing they can do until it is invoiced.  So I will wait till next week and try again.  I then was transferred to tech support who was very nice and emailing me some troubleshooting guides.  He checked my lines but there was no issue.  What was your outcome?

I am experiencing the same issue.  I am new to Uverse but noticed almost immediately that random shows were being recorded.  I clear them out when they occur.  I looked today at expanding my line-up and noticed two PPV for HD programming of which I don't subscribe.  I contacted billing and was informed that there is nothing they can do until it is invoiced.  So I will wait till next week and try again.  I then was transferred to tech support who was very nice and emailing me some troubleshooting guides.  He checked my lines but there was no issue.  What was your outcome?

18 of 24 (866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 3:06:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You've replied to a 15 month old thread.  I don't know that the original poster has been back since then.

You've replied to a 15 month old thread.  I don't know that the original poster has been back since then.

19 of 24 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 11:26:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jefnmel1991 wrote:

Click the hyperlink in my sig for Customer Care.  They are an escalation team that can help you get this issue resolved effectively.  Send them a PM with your info and issue and they will get back to you via PM as well.  Watch the blue envelope at the top of the forum page for message notification.

jefnmel1991 wrote:

Click the hyperlink in my sig for Customer Care.  They are an escalation team that can help you get this issue resolved effectively.  Send them a PM with your info and issue and they will get back to you via PM as well.  Watch the blue envelope at the top of the forum page for message notification.

20 of 24 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 9:27:24 PM
(0)
Voyager

21 of 24 (511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 9:36:38 PM
(0)
Voyager
This seems to be a common problem. Thankfully we haven't seen any PPV recordings but went on vacation to come home to a DVR full of shows we never watch and would not record. It's also just me and my wife in a single family home...no neighbors signal would reach our boxes. After deleting everything we now find about 3 programs and movies a week from many different channels. Sometimes its a premium movie channel like HBO, sometimes its QVC, MTV, BET, Disney, or one of the many other channels we never even scroll through.

I realize this is an old thread but I'd like to understand what is going on. I had to convince my wife to switch to uverse and, while not extremely serious, this is a rather annoying issue.
This seems to be a common problem. Thankfully we haven't seen any PPV recordings but went on vacation to come home to a DVR full of shows we never watch and would not record. It's also just me and my wife in a single family home...no neighbors signal would reach our boxes. After deleting everything we now find about 3 programs and movies a week from many different channels. Sometimes its a premium movie channel like HBO, sometimes its QVC, MTV, BET, Disney, or one of the many other channels we never even scroll through.

I realize this is an old thread but I'd like to understand what is going on. I had to convince my wife to switch to uverse and, while not extremely serious, this is a rather annoying issue.

22 of 24 (509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 12:13:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been experiencing this problem (thankfully no PPV programs so far) for months.  Last fall I contacted tech support about something else and when they asked if I had any other issues they could help with, I mentioned the random recordings.  The agent seemed concerned and said he was going to discuss it with the next level of support and someone would be calling me.  No one ever called, but the random recordings ended. 

Then a few weeks ago, the random recordings started again.  I generally review all my scheduled recordings weekly so often I have been able to catch and cancel the scheduled recordings.  Now recently I have begun experiencing an even worse situation.  On top of random things being scheduled to record, some programs that I have scheduled to record have been canceled!  I've spent hours with tech support.  They swear they've NEVER heard of such a thing. 

First suggestion was to change my password on my account - which I did.  Next suggestion was to do a soft reboot of the DVR, which I did.  Still having the same issues.

A tech came to my house Saturday and was basically making fun of me, acting like I didn't know what I was talking about.  Then he 'showed' me how to delete series recordings.  Duh - like I don't know how to do that...  Now they are saying I need a hard reboot of my DVR which I refuse to do since I have probably 100 recordings I haven't watched.

Anyway, it's refreshing to see this problem has been going on for years and I'm not the only loony tunes out there experiencing it.  However, it's extremely frustrating that it's been occurring since at least 2011 and nothing has been done to resolve it!  I sincerely believe that a neighbor's remote is somehow accessing my DVR from time to time - but maybe not.  I can assure you that I am NOT recording a shopping channel about BeautyRest mattresses several times a week, though!!!

I have been experiencing this problem (thankfully no PPV programs so far) for months.  Last fall I contacted tech support about something else and when they asked if I had any other issues they could help with, I mentioned the random recordings.  The agent seemed concerned and said he was going to discuss it with the next level of support and someone would be calling me.  No one ever called, but the random recordings ended. 

Then a few weeks ago, the random recordings started again.  I generally review all my scheduled recordings weekly so often I have been able to catch and cancel the scheduled recordings.  Now recently I have begun experiencing an even worse situation.  On top of random things being scheduled to record, some programs that I have scheduled to record have been canceled!  I've spent hours with tech support.  They swear they've NEVER heard of such a thing. 

First suggestion was to change my password on my account - which I did.  Next suggestion was to do a soft reboot of the DVR, which I did.  Still having the same issues.

A tech came to my house Saturday and was basically making fun of me, acting like I didn't know what I was talking about.  Then he 'showed' me how to delete series recordings.  Duh - like I don't know how to do that...  Now they are saying I need a hard reboot of my DVR which I refuse to do since I have probably 100 recordings I haven't watched.

Anyway, it's refreshing to see this problem has been going on for years and I'm not the only loony tunes out there experiencing it.  However, it's extremely frustrating that it's been occurring since at least 2011 and nothing has been done to resolve it!  I sincerely believe that a neighbor's remote is somehow accessing my DVR from time to time - but maybe not.  I can assure you that I am NOT recording a shopping channel about BeautyRest mattresses several times a week, though!!!

23 of 24 (360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 1:35:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

brentcol wrote:

I have yet to experience this.  I'm at a loss to try to see what might have set the recordings.  Please send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  They may be able to tell if it was established on a set top box (STB), we remote and so on,.

brentcol wrote:

I have yet to experience this.  I'm at a loss to try to see what might have set the recordings.  Please send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  They may be able to tell if it was established on a set top box (STB), we remote and so on,.

24 of 24 (350 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments