Helpful Links

Random Recordings

Contributor

Random Recordings

Over the last 2 months we have had shows randomly record on channels we do not have recordings set up on. I am the only one in our house that sets up recordings so i know these were not set by someone else. Has anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 24
Expert

Re: Random Recordings

Since there is no way to prevent anyone who accesses U-verse from setting up a recording either intentionally or accidentally, is it possible that someone else in your household recorded those programs?

Message 2 of 24
Contributor

Just myself and my wife and she is recording illiterate.  She leaves it up to me and in this case she was out of town.

Message 3 of 24
Expert

Try a hard reboot of your DVR by unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in.

Message 4 of 24

I had the same thing happen, it turned out that all AT&T remotes work with all AT&T set top boxes, so I could be playing a game in my living room and the box in my bedroom would pick up some of the signals from the remote, I have to cover the box in my bedroom so it does not see the remote signal, one day I had 124 scheduled recordings and not ONE did I schedule. not to mention the trouble with AT&T USUCK  II MEAN UVERSE 21 trouble reports, 2 no shows from techs. and one no show from an AT&T MANAGER.  having retired from AT&T I hat to talk bad about them but THIS UVERSE SUCKS BIG TIME, and when you call tech support they want YOU to trouble shoot there system and if it still does not work well then they will send out a tech and MAYBE just MAYBE they will show up.

Message 5 of 24

I had the same thing happen....turned out to be my 3 yr old hitting buttons!

Message 6 of 24
Scholar

Recordings can be set -- and deleted and viewed and -- on the Internet WRA (web remote access).  That is, if someone can log in to your U-Verse online account, they can probably do all that.  I have U-Verse set up on my ATT/Yahoo home page and it can be found at http://uversetv.att.yahoo.com/wra/uverse/#tabs_recorded.

If that isn't you, I'd call AT&T customer support and see if they can reset the password for you to lock out the mysterious person doing that.  Or get better locks for the door of your house. Smiley Happy

Bernie in CT

Message 7 of 24
Expert

Is it possible that a neighbor has Uverse.  And their remote control is in range with your one of your stbs.  And when they set up a recording on their system, it is also set up on yours?  I doubt it, but anything is possible.

Message 8 of 24
Contributor

Have done this and even reset the entire system. Will try again. 

Thanks

Message 9 of 24
Contributor

Could be a neighbor but the signal would have to travel pretty far since the closest 2 are on the Dish and Charter.
Message 10 of 24
Contributor

This is possible but don't even remember previewing the shows recorded on another system. There are only 2 of us and my wife doesn't do remotes, let alone recordings. And as far as service, we have had the best service with AT&T. We had Charter and they were by far the worse in this area of TN.
Message 11 of 24

We have had same problems but mostly with free programming-things we have set to record do not, things we do not have set (like The Mentalist just the other night) do. Last August, there was a $6 charge on the bill for a Justin Beiber concert. My husband and I are empty nesters. I did not pursue it with customer no-service because it is a MADDENING experience (we're on our third hard drive).

This month's bill arrived today. There are two $45 charges for two boxing matches in Spanish. While initiating an online chat with ATT, the recording light came. Q' Viva! The Chosen started recording. I cannot get resolution on anything because (apparently) 24-hour personal service is not longer offered by att. They're closed until 8 Monday.

Allow me to clear up the "DUH'S" here--my husband and I are empty nesters, no houseguests/housekeepers/housesitters/service techs/grandchildren can explain strange recordings or lack thereof, he didn't do it, I didn't do it, neither of us speak Spanish, both of us would rather sit through an IRS audit than a Beiber concert. As to restarting the modem, etc., we've lost track of how many times we've done that. This is an intermittent, random and increasingly expensive problem. I'm thinking it's someone's remote radio signal. Until Monday when I can speak with a person, does anyone have any insight into this problem with possible solutions?

Message 12 of 24
Expert

You need to call CS Monday to report this.  Someone may have gotten access to your account somehow.  If CS doesn't help you send a PM to Alex.  He is an ATT Community Manager on the forum.  He will get you to the right people to get this issue resolved.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

Tags (2)
Message 13 of 24

Awesome! Thank you! In the meantime, I placed a lock on all "PURCHASE" programming. I'm not sure that this will help (I know it won't on the rando-free recording situation) but I'm hoping at the least no one else can buy anything on my system. Thanks again. You reduced my frustration level.

Message 14 of 24

Follow up, I have sent a PM to Alex as you suggested and will await his reply.

I've spent a combined 65 minutes on the phone with both CS and tech support today. "Bernie" at CS stopped just short of calling me a liar and a thief before grudgingly allowing one-time credit as a "courtesy". He then went on to give me (a five-year uVerse customer) a for dummies tutorial on how to order PPV programming and how the system is foolproof (in effect reiterating that I've enjoyed PPV without paying for it). A quick look at my account history would show that I order at least one movie or PPV event each billing cycle and it would also show that I have NEVER asked for a credit for said purchases.

I just got off the phone with "Peter" in tech support. He rebooted the system and when I asked him how that solves the PPV problem, he said that it did not. I made three additional attempts to explain to him that it was future charges to my account for PPV I did not order that I am worried about (having used my one-time grace credit). He still did not get it. He just wants me to watch for recording problems over the next three days. He said I might try changing the parental code and that MIGHT help. That does not give me much confidence. 

I will continue wait to see if Alex has any thoughts. 

Tags (2)
Message 15 of 24
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support