Random Recordings

Contributor

Random Recordings

Over the last 2 months we have had shows randomly record on channels we do not have recordings set up on. I am the only one in our house that sets up recordings so i know these were not set by someone else. Has anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 24 (1,551 Views)
Expert

Re: Random Recordings

Alex will be in touch with you.

Message 16 of 24 (1,407 Views)
Community Manager

Thank you everyone!

AndeyePayForThisAbuse wrote:

Follow up, I have sent a PM to Alex as you suggested and will await his reply.

I've spent a combined 65 minutes on the phone with both CS and tech support today. "Bernie" at CS stopped just short of calling me a liar and a thief before grudgingly allowing one-time credit as a "courtesy". He then went on to give me (a five-year uVerse customer) a for dummies tutorial on how to order PPV programming and how the system is foolproof (in effect reiterating that I've enjoyed PPV without paying for it). A quick look at my account history would show that I order at least one movie or PPV event each billing cycle and it would also show that I have NEVER asked for a credit for said purchases.

I just got off the phone with "Peter" in tech support. He rebooted the system and when I asked him how that solves the PPV problem, he said that it did not. I made three additional attempts to explain to him that it was future charges to my account for PPV I did not order that I am worried about (having used my one-time grace credit). He still did not get it. He just wants me to watch for recording problems over the next three days. He said I might try changing the parental code and that MIGHT help. That does not give me much confidence. 

I will continue wait to see if Alex has any thoughts. 

Welcome and thank you for posting.  I'm sorry to hear about the continued trouble.  I received your Private Message and replied. Please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.  We'll get you in touch with the group that can look into it.

Regards,
Alex

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help others find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".
Message 17 of 24 (1,387 Views)
Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue.  I am new to Uverse but noticed almost immediately that random shows were being recorded.  I clear them out when they occur.  I looked today at expanding my line-up and noticed two PPV for HD programming of which I don't subscribe.  I contacted billing and was informed that there is nothing they can do until it is invoiced.  So I will wait till next week and try again.  I then was transferred to tech support who was very nice and emailing me some troubleshooting guides.  He checked my lines but there was no issue.  What was your outcome?

Message 18 of 24 (1,203 Views)
ACE - Expert

You've replied to a 15 month old thread.  I don't know that the original poster has been back since then.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 24 (1,166 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

jefnmel1991 wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue.  I am new to Uverse but noticed almost immediately that random shows were being recorded.  I clear them out when they occur.  I looked today at expanding my line-up and noticed two PPV for HD programming of which I don't subscribe.  I contacted billing and was informed that there is nothing they can do until it is invoiced.  So I will wait till next week and try again.  I then was transferred to tech support who was very nice and emailing me some troubleshooting guides.  He checked my lines but there was no issue.  What was your outcome?

Click the hyperlink in my sig for Customer Care.  They are an escalation team that can help you get this issue resolved effectively.  Send them a PM with your info and issue and they will get back to you via PM as well.  Watch the blue envelope at the top of the forum page for message notification.

Message 20 of 24 (1,107 Views)
Voyager

Message 21 of 24 (848 Views)
Voyager

This seems to be a common problem. Thankfully we haven't seen any PPV recordings but went on vacation to come home to a DVR full of shows we never watch and would not record. It's also just me and my wife in a single family home...no neighbors signal would reach our boxes. After deleting everything we now find about 3 programs and movies a week from many different channels. Sometimes its a premium movie channel like HBO, sometimes its QVC, MTV, BET, Disney, or one of the many other channels we never even scroll through.

I realize this is an old thread but I'd like to understand what is going on. I had to convince my wife to switch to uverse and, while not extremely serious, this is a rather annoying issue.
Message 22 of 24 (846 Views)
Contributor

I have been experiencing this problem (thankfully no PPV programs so far) for months.  Last fall I contacted tech support about something else and when they asked if I had any other issues they could help with, I mentioned the random recordings.  The agent seemed concerned and said he was going to discuss it with the next level of support and someone would be calling me.  No one ever called, but the random recordings ended. 

Then a few weeks ago, the random recordings started again.  I generally review all my scheduled recordings weekly so often I have been able to catch and cancel the scheduled recordings.  Now recently I have begun experiencing an even worse situation.  On top of random things being scheduled to record, some programs that I have scheduled to record have been canceled!  I've spent hours with tech support.  They swear they've NEVER heard of such a thing. 

First suggestion was to change my password on my account - which I did.  Next suggestion was to do a soft reboot of the DVR, which I did.  Still having the same issues.

A tech came to my house Saturday and was basically making fun of me, acting like I didn't know what I was talking about.  Then he 'showed' me how to delete series recordings.  Duh - like I don't know how to do that...  Now they are saying I need a hard reboot of my DVR which I refuse to do since I have probably 100 recordings I haven't watched.

Anyway, it's refreshing to see this problem has been going on for years and I'm not the only loony tunes out there experiencing it.  However, it's extremely frustrating that it's been occurring since at least 2011 and nothing has been done to resolve it!  I sincerely believe that a neighbor's remote is somehow accessing my DVR from time to time - but maybe not.  I can assure you that I am NOT recording a shopping channel about BeautyRest mattresses several times a week, though!!!

Message 23 of 24 (697 Views)
ACE - Master

brentcol wrote:
This seems to be a common problem. Thankfully we haven't seen any PPV recordings but went on vacation to come home to a DVR full of shows we never watch and would not record. It's also just me and my wife in a single family home...no neighbors signal would reach our boxes. After deleting everything we now find about 3 programs and movies a week from many different channels. Sometimes its a premium movie channel like HBO, sometimes its QVC, MTV, BET, Disney, or one of the many other channels we never even scroll through.

I realize this is an old thread but I'd like to understand what is going on. I had to convince my wife to switch to uverse and, while not extremely serious, this is a rather annoying issue.

I have yet to experience this.  I'm at a loss to try to see what might have set the recordings.  Please send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  They may be able to tell if it was established on a set top box (STB), we remote and so on,.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 24 of 24 (687 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.