Radio frequency interference from U-verse equipment on AM broadcast band

Tutor

Radio frequency interference from U-verse equipment on AM broadcast band

Spurrious noise all over the AM band and into the shortwave band - can not localize to one particular router or STB - they are all noisy - how Motorola and Cisco can claim this gear meets FCC requirements is beyond comprehension.

I have TV, phone and internet ... new subscriber but might not be for much longer ...

Message 1 of 4
Employee

Re: Radio frequency interference from U-verse equipment on AM broadcast band

Please download uvrealtime, run some tests and post pixs

http://www.uvrealtime.com/download.aspx

Suspect issue is not with equipment but wiring, grounding,proximity to towers, etc,
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4
Tutor

What does that tool do?  The developer's website is pretty vague.  Besides, it's a PC tool and I am going to resist installing parallels on my iMac.  

Perhaps you can give me your contact information and I can play the noise over the phone to you so you can hear what I'm talking about.

Message 3 of 4
Employee

nbtx wrote:

Spurrious noise all over the AM band and into the shortwave band - can not localize to one particular router or STB - they are all noisy - how Motorola and Cisco can claim this gear meets FCC requirements is beyond comprehension.

I have TV, phone and internet ... new subscriber but might not be for much longer ...

Does the noise go away when you unplug (from the wall) the RG, STB, and DVR?

Does the noise go away when you unplug (from the back of the unit) the RG, STB, and DV?

You an use an AM radio to chase the noise by tuning between channels and walking around. Hold the radio in front of you such that your body would attenuate the noise signals and "aim" the radio by steering your body.

Also (for the sake of troubleshooting) try turning off your TV (flat panel LCD/LED/Plasma) ... some are suprisingly noisy. I guess they figure that if you're watching TV, you won't be listening to the radio.

Those boxes do not radiate (assuming they haven't been tampered with and they're used with the proper power brick). Worst case is the power bricks are dying, but those boxes are RF quiet.

It would also be helpful if you listed which models of RG, DVR, STB you have.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support