Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 1, 2010
3:06:05 PM
View profile
ROKU, Uverse, and a tech challenged newbie

I have the Uverse package of TV, internet, landline, etc.  I received my Roku HD-XR unit today.  I must have my head in the sand because I thought it would be easy to set up. Unfortunately, I have a 10+yr old Emerson DVD VCR combo unit and can't upgrade right now...like alot of people:-(  ...The instructions seemed simple enough.  I plugged the red, white, and yellow cable ends to the TV and the Roku unit.  Nothing.  So, I plugged an ethernet cable from the Roku to the TV ATT uverse box.  The Roku unit is on (green light), but nothing else (menu?) comes up.  I know this is baby stuff, but could someone help me get it right?  By the way, I have really liked ATT uverse so far!  Thank you!

I have the Uverse package of TV, internet, landline, etc.  I received my Roku HD-XR unit today.  I must have my head in the sand because I thought it would be easy to set up. Unfortunately, I have a 10+yr old Emerson DVD VCR combo unit and can't upgrade right now...like alot of people:-(  ...The instructions seemed simple enough.  I plugged the red, white, and yellow cable ends to the TV and the Roku unit.  Nothing.  So, I plugged an ethernet cable from the Roku to the TV ATT uverse box.  The Roku unit is on (green light), but nothing else (menu?) comes up.  I know this is baby stuff, but could someone help me get it right?  By the way, I have really liked ATT uverse so far!  Thank you!

ROKU, Uverse, and a tech challenged newbie

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 5:42:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sounds like you need to apply the TV/video button on your TV to select the new input connection.

Is u-verse connected to the TV via coax? If so, the TV would be tuned to channel 3 or 4. To see the ROKU menu you need to "tune" to the video input.

Sounds like you need to apply the TV/video button on your TV to select the new input connection.

Is u-verse connected to the TV via coax? If so, the TV would be tuned to channel 3 or 4. To see the ROKU menu you need to "tune" to the video input.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ROKU, Uverse, and a tech challenged newbie

2 of 8 (7,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 6:59:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

onceabunny wrote:

Look at the TV where the Red, White and Yellow cords are plugged in for a label indicating the AV input you are using. If you're old like me you'll need your glasses and a flashlight to read it. Then on your remote there should be a button labeled INPUT SELECT or AV Select or something similar. Turn on the equipment you have connected, turn on the TV then press the Input Select button until you see the screen from your connected equipment on the TV. To get back to the U-Verse Set Top Box (STB) input press that same button one press at a time till you see the channel from the STB back on the TV.

Good luck!

onceabunny wrote:

Look at the TV where the Red, White and Yellow cords are plugged in for a label indicating the AV input you are using. If you're old like me you'll need your glasses and a flashlight to read it. Then on your remote there should be a button labeled INPUT SELECT or AV Select or something similar. Turn on the equipment you have connected, turn on the TV then press the Input Select button until you see the screen from your connected equipment on the TV. To get back to the U-Verse Set Top Box (STB) input press that same button one press at a time till you see the channel from the STB back on the TV.

Good luck!

3 of 8 (7,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 1:53:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

flhthemi....hi and thanks for the reply!  I just wanted to let you know that I read your post and will try this when I am off work.  I work weekend nights in a heart unit, so my attention span is limited until Mon morn comes around!  I will let you know how it works out.  Yes, I will have to get glasses out (lol).  Thanks again!

flhthemi....hi and thanks for the reply!  I just wanted to let you know that I read your post and will try this when I am off work.  I work weekend nights in a heart unit, so my attention span is limited until Mon morn comes around!  I will let you know how it works out.  Yes, I will have to get glasses out (lol).  Thanks again!

4 of 8 (7,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 1:58:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wow!  Okay...I just replied to 'flhthemi's' post and wanted to say thank you to you, too.  Can't wait until Monday to try these out!  I am so excited!  I hope it works!  Thanks again!

Wow!  Okay...I just replied to 'flhthemi's' post and wanted to say thank you to you, too.  Can't wait until Monday to try these out!  I am so excited!  I hope it works!  Thanks again!

5 of 8 (7,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2012 1:58:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

THIS SOUNDS SIMILAR TO PROBLEM I'M HAVING. Hoping someone out there will respond.

I haven't used my ROKU in ages to access Netflix.

Now I can't recall how and too much of a tech dinosaur to figure it out.

I've got UVERSE, UVERSE remote control and have ROKU box as well as my DVD player connected.

I know how to switch from TV to DVD player, and use my UVerse remote for use of my tv as opposed to the remote that was with the TV.

I try using my ROKU remote but nothing is happening. How do I get to a different "level" or channel so that I can use my ROKU remote to access Netflix.?? (Can't find the manual for my uverse remote)

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME?? 

THIS SOUNDS SIMILAR TO PROBLEM I'M HAVING. Hoping someone out there will respond.

I haven't used my ROKU in ages to access Netflix.

Now I can't recall how and too much of a tech dinosaur to figure it out.

I've got UVERSE, UVERSE remote control and have ROKU box as well as my DVD player connected.

I know how to switch from TV to DVD player, and use my UVerse remote for use of my tv as opposed to the remote that was with the TV.

I try using my ROKU remote but nothing is happening. How do I get to a different "level" or channel so that I can use my ROKU remote to access Netflix.?? (Can't find the manual for my uverse remote)

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME?? 

6 of 8 (6,510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2012 2:47:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by markwmsn on Mar 11, 2012 at 2:47:42 PM

It would depend a lot on how your equipment is connected, but my first guess would be that you would use a method similar to switching your TV input between the U-Verse box and the DVD.

It would depend a lot on how your equipment is connected, but my first guess would be that you would use a method similar to switching your TV input between the U-Verse box and the DVD.

[ Edited ]
7 of 8 (6,507 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 10:01:19 PM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

8 of 8 (3,851 Views)