RG and IPv6

Contributor

RG and IPv6

I am running a Netgear router NAT'ing behind an i3812V RG (software version 6.3.7.52-enh.tm. I noticed recently I would lose internet connectivity periodically but after a short while it would return or I would not be able to connect at all without resetting the network adapter or rebooting my laptop. While troubleshooting various configurations and uninstalling Netgear PROSet wireless, OpenDNS Crypt, etc. and running IPCONFIG /ALL from a CMD prompt, I happened to notice that IPv4 DNS server preferences (OpenDNS servers) had been replaced by the values  2620:0:ccc::2 & 2620:0:ccd::2 for both entries which I believe are IPv6 values ??  Plus I have a valid IPv6 address in the network adapter settings that I did not configure, either...

The upshot of all this is a very noticeable in loading pages in Firefox and in file download speed as well with Windows managing the network adapter, OpenDNS disabled, and letting DHCP manage IP addressing (I was using static addressing on the Netgear router).

Is AT&T starting to implement IPv6 addressing in certain areas ?

Message 1 of 4 (368 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: RG and IPv6

Another poster has reported that their IPv6 tunnel quit working due to a change in the RG firmware, and has since reported that he has IPv6 connectivity.

That is all I know.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4 (357 Views)
Contributor

Further investigation shows regular IPv4 DNS server address on the RG so I'm kind of mystified but it doesn't appear to be anything on the RG unless I'm missing something obvious....I certainly didn't ever configure any IPv6 addressing on either the RG or Netgear router....

Message 3 of 4 (355 Views)
ACE - Expert

Windows 7 (as with Windows Server 2008 R2) tries to be IPv6 friendly.  Even when you don't want it to be.  Ticks me off sometimes.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (343 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.