Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 12, 2013
6:57:46 PM
View profile
RED X in the middle of the screen and I cannot use the TV. What does the Red X mean?

The TV noow only displays a largge red X in the middle of the screen with two small rectangles below. What can I do to usethe TV?

Thanks,

The TV noow only displays a largge red X in the middle of the screen with two small rectangles below. What can I do to usethe TV?

Thanks,

RED X in the middle of the screen and I cannot use the TV. What does the Red X mean?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 7:34:23 PM
(0)
Employee
Red X with two dots is hardware failure, you may attempt factory reset but most likely will be unsuccessful requiring replacement of dvr. For replacement may call or chat,
Option 1 self install, equipment shipped, you replace, return original to UPS for repacking and shipment at ATT expense.
Option 2, request tech visit for replacement requiring 4 hour appointment window plus time for swap and testing.

To factory reset DVR

Factory reset for boxes...depress power, ok, down arrow 10~15 seconds, release power continue to hold ok, down till front panel lights flash three times..releae buttons...single gear two gears, will auto reboot come bak in 15 minutes see if can record, pause playback...NOTE on DVR this will reformat HD loss all recordings.
Red X with two dots is hardware failure, you may attempt factory reset but most likely will be unsuccessful requiring replacement of dvr. For replacement may call or chat,
Option 1 self install, equipment shipped, you replace, return original to UPS for repacking and shipment at ATT expense.
Option 2, request tech visit for replacement requiring 4 hour appointment window plus time for swap and testing.

To factory reset DVR

Factory reset for boxes...depress power, ok, down arrow 10~15 seconds, release power continue to hold ok, down till front panel lights flash three times..releae buttons...single gear two gears, will auto reboot come bak in 15 minutes see if can record, pause playback...NOTE on DVR this will reformat HD loss all recordings.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: RED X in the middle of the screen and I cannot use the TV. What does the Red X mean?

2 of 8 (15,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 7:28:43 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello Warrenssmith,

I apologize that the DVR unit has stopped working properly. The factory reset that 'My Thoughts' mentioned is the best recommendation whenever a Red X appears on screen but, I noticed that you do have a replacement DVR unit scheduled for delivery. Let us know how the new unit works for you.

Also, if you encounter any issues with your equipment in the future, feel free to check out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions and tools. Thank you! Smiley Happy

- MorganCS

- ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hello Warrenssmith,

I apologize that the DVR unit has stopped working properly. The factory reset that 'My Thoughts' mentioned is the best recommendation whenever a Red X appears on screen but, I noticed that you do have a replacement DVR unit scheduled for delivery. Let us know how the new unit works for you.

Also, if you encounter any issues with your equipment in the future, feel free to check out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions and tools. Thank you! Smiley Happy

- MorganCS

- ATTU-verseCare

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: RED X in the middle of the screen and I cannot use the TV. What does the Red X mean?

3 of 8 (15,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 7:56:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

2 times this week I have gotten the red X on screen when I get home from work to turn on the tv.  The first time I just powered off the DVR and restarted and it all rebooted.  But, last night I unplugged it, reset it, it did the gear screen and it looked like it was downloading or updating something then it would just go right back to the red x when it was done.

Finaly after doing the Power, down key, OK button thing 2xs I got it to restart.  Seems like from the comments though when this starts happening it is time for a new DVR.  I will probably have to call tonight and see what can be done.  It is annoying though I guess we will have to try and watch as many saved shows as possible in case I need a new dvr or in case I need to switch service if they try to charge me too much for a replacement

2 times this week I have gotten the red X on screen when I get home from work to turn on the tv.  The first time I just powered off the DVR and restarted and it all rebooted.  But, last night I unplugged it, reset it, it did the gear screen and it looked like it was downloading or updating something then it would just go right back to the red x when it was done.

Finaly after doing the Power, down key, OK button thing 2xs I got it to restart.  Seems like from the comments though when this starts happening it is time for a new DVR.  I will probably have to call tonight and see what can be done.  It is annoying though I guess we will have to try and watch as many saved shows as possible in case I need a new dvr or in case I need to switch service if they try to charge me too much for a replacement

4 of 8 (15,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 10:22:45 AM
(0)
Employee
Nwilb832, any dots under red X? Is the green link light on when experiencing RED X?

If no link light and no dots generally a connection issue (coax or Ethernet) could try disconnecting and re attaching cable from RG to DVR.

How old is DVR? Model?
Replacement of DVR does not cost UNLESS you request UPGRADE to larger unit (ability to record more shows)

For replacement two options, self install...shipped, you swap, return original to UPS within 10 days. ATT covers shipping both ways.
2nd option is schedule a tech visit, recommend if suspect wiring issue. This requires a 4 hour appointment window, someone 18 or older to be home, and if inside wiring may be billable but replacement of DVR (leased equipment) is not.
Nwilb832, any dots under red X? Is the green link light on when experiencing RED X?

If no link light and no dots generally a connection issue (coax or Ethernet) could try disconnecting and re attaching cable from RG to DVR.

How old is DVR? Model?
Replacement of DVR does not cost UNLESS you request UPGRADE to larger unit (ability to record more shows)

For replacement two options, self install...shipped, you swap, return original to UPS within 10 days. ATT covers shipping both ways.
2nd option is schedule a tech visit, recommend if suspect wiring issue. This requires a 4 hour appointment window, someone 18 or older to be home, and if inside wiring may be billable but replacement of DVR (leased equipment) is not.

5 of 8 (15,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 10:57:16 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Nwilb832 on Nov 19, 2013 at 10:57:53 AM

Just stopped by the house at lunch and turned it on and there it is again red X and 2 grey dots under it.  I didnt have time to bother with it at lunch but that seems like hardware to me.  It just started this week I havent had these issues before but it looks like its happening every day now.

The DVR is a few years old 

U-verse TV Receiver with DVR

Model Number: VIP1225

Manufacturer: Motorola - 001

I am not even sure about upgrades or if i need a newer model.  What are the newer models of DVRs?  Are they larger capacities? 

Just stopped by the house at lunch and turned it on and there it is again red X and 2 grey dots under it.  I didnt have time to bother with it at lunch but that seems like hardware to me.  It just started this week I havent had these issues before but it looks like its happening every day now.

The DVR is a few years old 

U-verse TV Receiver with DVR

Model Number: VIP1225

Manufacturer: Motorola - 001

I am not even sure about upgrades or if i need a newer model.  What are the newer models of DVRs?  Are they larger capacities? 

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (15,246 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 11:23:36 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello Nwilb832,

I can save you the call and ship you a replacement DVR. I understand you have the Red X with 2 dots below and this pretty much indicates the receiver is unable to initialize or it is unable to format the disk. I apologize about the inconvenience this caused and the lost recordings on your DVR. I sent you a private message to get some account information and ship you a replacement as soon as possible.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hello Nwilb832,

I can save you the call and ship you a replacement DVR. I understand you have the Red X with 2 dots below and this pretty much indicates the receiver is unable to initialize or it is unable to format the disk. I apologize about the inconvenience this caused and the lost recordings on your DVR. I sent you a private message to get some account information and ship you a replacement as soon as possible.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 8 (15,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 4:26:49 PM
(0)
Teacher
I appreciate your help again Sadath. I just installed the new Dvr, so far so good
I appreciate your help again Sadath. I just installed the new Dvr, so far so good

8 of 8 (15,192 Views)