Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 30, 2013
10:05:32 AM
View profile
Questions on connecting UVerse receiver to an AV Receiver

Just got my new UVerse installed and worked over the weekend on hooking up various video components together. Was having some issues and wondered if someone who's more of a AV guru/enthusiast provide me some guidance.

I've got an AV receiver, HDTV, BluRay player, and an old LaserDisc player(!). I'd like to have everything go through the AV receiver. The main issue I'm having is not knowing for sure how to hook up the ATT receiver, the HDTV, and the AV receiver. The tech installed the ATT receiver directly to the TV. I connected an optical audio cable that runs from the ATT receiver to the AV receiver so I can hear the sound through the speakers connected to the AV receiver. I connected the HDMI cable from the ATT receiver to the TV/SAT HDMI on the AVR. I'm able to get video and audio working. The problem is then getting video when trying to play a BluRay.

Thanks All,

Carl

Just got my new UVerse installed and worked over the weekend on hooking up various video components together. Was having some issues and wondered if someone who's more of a AV guru/enthusiast provide me some guidance.

I've got an AV receiver, HDTV, BluRay player, and an old LaserDisc player(!). I'd like to have everything go through the AV receiver. The main issue I'm having is not knowing for sure how to hook up the ATT receiver, the HDTV, and the AV receiver. The tech installed the ATT receiver directly to the TV. I connected an optical audio cable that runs from the ATT receiver to the AV receiver so I can hear the sound through the speakers connected to the AV receiver. I connected the HDMI cable from the ATT receiver to the TV/SAT HDMI on the AVR. I'm able to get video and audio working. The problem is then getting video when trying to play a BluRay.

Thanks All,

Carl

Questions on connecting UVerse receiver to an AV Receiver

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 10:17:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
chwilson0607 - I do not see where you connected the blue-ray to the av.

To use the AV as the switch - make one HDMI connection from av out to tv in. Connect the out of each of your other devices to a compatible av input. Select the one to watch via the av menu.

In that config the optical connection from U-verse is redundant. Use the extra optical connection when you are using the TV to select what to watch, Then the HDMI connections go to the TV & you can turn on/off the AV. Of course, in either connection you need to mute the one you are not listening to. Just different ways to do it. You need to feel your way through the various possibilities & hope you have enough connections to cover everything. Post if you come up with more questions.
chwilson0607 - I do not see where you connected the blue-ray to the av.

To use the AV as the switch - make one HDMI connection from av out to tv in. Connect the out of each of your other devices to a compatible av input. Select the one to watch via the av menu.

In that config the optical connection from U-verse is redundant. Use the extra optical connection when you are using the TV to select what to watch, Then the HDMI connections go to the TV & you can turn on/off the AV. Of course, in either connection you need to mute the one you are not listening to. Just different ways to do it. You need to feel your way through the various possibilities & hope you have enough connections to cover everything. Post if you come up with more questions.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Questions on connecting UVerse receiver to an AV Receiver

2 of 4 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 10:07:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thnaks aviewer for the assistance. All my components except for the LaserDisc player are HDMI - TV and BluRay player. When I hooked everything up, cable was coming through OK. I had the Bluray connected to an HDMI port on the receiver but there was no picture. My confusion lies in how to cable the TV and UVerse receiver to the Pioneer AV receiver. I have plenty of HDMI cables and connections (inputs) in the rear of the AV receiver. The data flow should basically be output from the device --> input to the receiver. Tune the receiver to the desired component and it should output to the TV - as long as the TV is connected properly. I would imagine the connections for the TV, UVerse receiver, and AV receiver would go like this:

UVerse receiver: HDMI out // AV receiver: HDMI in

AV receiver: HDMI out // TV: HDMI in

BluRay: HDMI out // AV receiver: HDMI in

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Carl

Thnaks aviewer for the assistance. All my components except for the LaserDisc player are HDMI - TV and BluRay player. When I hooked everything up, cable was coming through OK. I had the Bluray connected to an HDMI port on the receiver but there was no picture. My confusion lies in how to cable the TV and UVerse receiver to the Pioneer AV receiver. I have plenty of HDMI cables and connections (inputs) in the rear of the AV receiver. The data flow should basically be output from the device --> input to the receiver. Tune the receiver to the desired component and it should output to the TV - as long as the TV is connected properly. I would imagine the connections for the TV, UVerse receiver, and AV receiver would go like this:

UVerse receiver: HDMI out // AV receiver: HDMI in

AV receiver: HDMI out // TV: HDMI in

BluRay: HDMI out // AV receiver: HDMI in

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Carl

3 of 4 (1,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 10:34:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:45:56 PM

chwilson0607 - Everything you say sounds good to me except you are stuck on - I had the Bluray connected to an HDMI port on the receiver but there was no picture.

Sounds like the"selection of the blue ray only ran it through the amp to the AV speakers. You need that setting to also select output to the HDMI to the TV - could be just picture or picture and audio. There must be options for this "connection" to allow you these different modes of operation. Since the U-verse STB is working the setup/selection for the blue ray should be the same as for the u-verse input. But, It may not be easy for you to make that determination.

If you post your av make/model, I will google for the manual & see if I can say what the settings need to be.

There is another possibility that is more common with U-verse than blue ray - HDMI is a two way interface - The blue ray needs to get a message from the TV that it is NOT a recording device. If it does not "see" this message at the appropriate time, guess what it does. It shuts off the picture. You can try making sure the av and the TV are on before the BD so that they can communicate. After that you would need to google your model numbers to see if they have a problem in this area.

chwilson0607 - Everything you say sounds good to me except you are stuck on - I had the Bluray connected to an HDMI port on the receiver but there was no picture.

Sounds like the"selection of the blue ray only ran it through the amp to the AV speakers. You need that setting to also select output to the HDMI to the TV - could be just picture or picture and audio. There must be options for this "connection" to allow you these different modes of operation. Since the U-verse STB is working the setup/selection for the blue ray should be the same as for the u-verse input. But, It may not be easy for you to make that determination.

If you post your av make/model, I will google for the manual & see if I can say what the settings need to be.

There is another possibility that is more common with U-verse than blue ray - HDMI is a two way interface - The blue ray needs to get a message from the TV that it is NOT a recording device. If it does not "see" this message at the appropriate time, guess what it does. It shuts off the picture. You can try making sure the av and the TV are on before the BD so that they can communicate. After that you would need to google your model numbers to see if they have a problem in this area.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (1,266 Views)