Questions about Moving TV, Gateway and DVR

Tutor

Questions about Moving TV, Gateway and DVR

I hope someone here can provide me with some guidance regarding our situation.  We have been Uverse customers for just over 2 years with no major issues other than some frustration when dealing with tech support.  My issue involves moving a tv and I'm not sure that customer service gave us the right advice.

Earlier in the year, we wanted to move a tv from one room to another.  The new location never had a tv before, so Uverse sent us a wireless STB which we have been using very successfully.  Now, we want to move another tv.  Instead of moving it into a new room, we want to move it to another wall in the same room - from an interior wall to an exterior wall.  This tv is our main tv, and as such we have the residential gateway and DVR there.  The new wall does not have a phone jack or cable connection - just electrical plugs.

Before we called Uverse, I fully expected to hear that we would need Uverse to come out and wire the new wall at a cost, which we were fine with doing.  Instead, we were told that we would receive a new wireless receiver so that we could move the tv wherever we like.  We reiterated, several times, that the tv currently had the DVR receiver and not an STB but the representative reassured us that the wireless receiver would work just fine.  After poking around online and learning more about Uverse, I'm starting to think we got incorrect advice - namely that there is no such thing as a wireless DVR so the receiver we are being sent will not, in fact, replace the DVR we currently use with that tv.

Assuming that is correct, I feel we have the following three options and I would like to know if these options are at all feasible:

1.  Move the tv and new wireless receiver but keep the residential gateway and DVR in their current location - I believe the gateway must stay plugged into a phone line so we planned to leave it in its current spot even though the tv will move.  I also believe that the gateway does not need to be right by the tv.  Is that the case with the DVR?  Could I keep both the gateway and DVR standing alone away from a tv but connected to each other, and still have DVR function as normal?

2.  Move the DVR to another tv that currently has a STB - is that possible or does the wiring for the tv with the STB need to be redone to accommodate a DVR?

3.  Move the TV and DVR together to the other wall and have Uverse come out and do the wiring for a fee - if this is my only option, will I also need to have a phone jack installed on that wall or can the gateway remain in its current location which would be away from the tv?

Doing any wiring ourselves is not an option. We are not knowledgeable in this area and don't want to mess with anything as we use Uverse for phone, internet and TV.

Thoughts?  Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 12 (1,454 Views)

Re: Questions about Moving TV, Gateway and DVR

You can move your DVR to that TV that has a wired STB and use the wireless reciever on  your main tv. Since the DVR cannot be wireless it needs to be connected via cable.

The RG can stay where it is.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 2 of 12 (1,412 Views)
ACE - Expert

akrobat - Don't you hate it when you feel like you have little knowledge, but you know more than your expert advisor?

Of course, you cannot directly replace a DVR with a wireless STB. You can make accommodations so that the change is transparent to the viewing. Which is what you are asking about.

You have the DVR at your main viewing location because that was the only way to get trick play on live TV. But, with whole house DVR it is better to have it at the least used TV.

So, you can swap it with another STB. Then replace that STB with the wireless. I wonder if the CS thinks you are going to return the DVR.

I am thinking if you just swap DVR/STB you will have accomplished your objective. However, it would be good to have the DVR connected to the RG by cat 5 cable, but we would have to talk about that more if you do not already have cat5 cable.

Applying this to your choices - It is number 2.

If the STB location is already cat5 you are done. If it is coax it is possible (not necessarily likely) that little glitches could show up while watching the main TV - glitches also possible just from wireless - you can only try it and see.

If you can run a cable from the RG to any new location it is very, very easy to see where to plug it in. The cables come in any length & color from monoprice.com & others.

Moving the RG would be a lot more complicated. We could discuss it, but, if you are not comfortable with wiring it may not be a good idea.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 12 (1,410 Views)
Tutor

Thank you both for your replies.  You confirmed what I was thinking and that is extremely helpful. As an update, I decided to just have Uverse come out and rewire the new wall.  I figured this way I wouldn't have to worry about switching out boxes, etc.  One thing that pushed me to do it is that my only other wired box is outside and I didn't want my DVR to be outside.  Even though we've never had an issue, I don't want to lose that box in the event of a bad storm.  While this will cost me at least $149, I was going to pay $49 before just for the wireless box so it isn't that huge a jump in price.  BTW, I had a good CSR when I called to schedule the service - he was actually in tech support and he understood what I needed to do.  It was a relief to get someone like that on the phone!

Message 4 of 12 (1,323 Views)
ACE - Expert

akrobat - Thanks for communicating your progress. Let us know how it all comes out.
Since you are going the premium route, I would suggest the first choice is moving the RG & connecting the close by DVR with a short cat5 cable.

The installer 's priority may be to get in and out fast, but you have to live with what is done. Stay calm, but specify what you want.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 12 (1,313 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the follow up email.  Yes, I absolutely plan to ask for the RG and the DVR to be together.  Essentially, I am moving everything to a different wall but I will want the same set up as it has worked well for us.  I was told by tech support that my DVR is connected via ethernet, is that the same thing as a short cat5 cable?  If not, I assume cat5 is preferred since you mentioned it.  If I ask for that, will I get push back from the installer?  

And I will definitely post once everything is done tomorrow.  Fingers crossed it all goes well!

Message 6 of 12 (1,276 Views)

My RG was no where near any of my DVR or STB boxes.  My previous installation fed into a distribution center and from there to the cable outlets in the various rooms.  As long as the internal cabling is good it will not effect the service.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 7 of 12 (1,265 Views)
ACE - Expert

akrobat - yes - a network or ethernet cable is a cat5, cat5e or cat6. network, ethernet are more generic terms. Cat# have specific electrical properties. Installers make up lengths of cat5 as required (standard install) - also, very inexpensive on monoprice.com & other sites.

If you move the two together he would reuse the existing cable.

Good luck!
Message 8 of 12 (1,262 Views)
Contributor

hi, i suggest you call CS and verify if the agent replaced one of your existing STBs/deleted your DVR or had ordered a new wireless stb (you have to pay 49$ if that's the case). This will save you time.

Message 9 of 12 (1,213 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the additional replies.  I type this watching my tv on its new wall, surfing the web on my wireless system.  In other words, the change in location was completed successfully.  The tech came out 1/2 hour before the end of my 4 hour window and was here about 2 hours.  He was very thorough and even offered to clean up the mess created from the creation of the jack but I declined as I had plans to clean the floors of the room anyway and I wanted him to be able to end his day and get home.  This was my third experience having a tech in my home and like the others it went well.  I appreciate all the feedback, advice, etc. provided on this thread.  I find the forums to be extremely valuable and a great resource for uverse subscribers.

Message 10 of 12 (1,177 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

What I would like to do is along these same lines with a little twist.  Can I move my RG & DVR to another location that is not hooked up to a TV and use my new Wireless STB which will be hooked up to a TV to operate the DVR (mark shows for record as example)?  And to move the RG & DVR do I just need to switch the 'OUT' that is in the location I want to relocate to to the 'IN' coming from my outside box which brings in the signal?

Message 11 of 12 (675 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Yes, you can have the RG & DVR off in the wilds & manage the DVR with the whole house DVR software on all the STBs. You can even do it via browser (aka WRA) or app. If it is isolated it will not get turned on, That is the only thing you do not want is tuning the viewing to a channel & using a stream & the only way to tell is see if the green light is lit.

Moving may be easy, too. Determine how it is connected to the NID & replicate & replicate any other connections, The only complexity would be if you have a diplexer & want to use a different coax leg. Swap the coax at the diplexer/splitter.
Message 12 of 12 (664 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.