Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Nov 14, 2013
6:14:55 AM
View profile
Question for users of the Uverse App for Android tablets

Like many others I have recently found my older iPad no longer being a functioning item to use with Uverse. I understand progress and requests for advances (like streaming tv) would put a strain on the ability of older devices to be able to handle that.

But really all I ever did was use the device to look at the guide while still watching a show as it was quicker than the receiver's guide, schedule/delete recordings, and use it as a remote because the regular remote seems too buggy unless it is in direct line of sight of the receiver.

It was realistically time to update my tablet anyways, but I am this time also considering an Android tablet. So I had a few questions:

1. for owners of older Android tablets: does the Android app still work (trying to see if obsolescence applies equally). If no, how old was the tablet when the App ceased functioning.

2. can Android tablets be used as a remote? (been seeing conflicting reports)

TIA.

Like many others I have recently found my older iPad no longer being a functioning item to use with Uverse. I understand progress and requests for advances (like streaming tv) would put a strain on the ability of older devices to be able to handle that.

But really all I ever did was use the device to look at the guide while still watching a show as it was quicker than the receiver's guide, schedule/delete recordings, and use it as a remote because the regular remote seems too buggy unless it is in direct line of sight of the receiver.

It was realistically time to update my tablet anyways, but I am this time also considering an Android tablet. So I had a few questions:

1. for owners of older Android tablets: does the Android app still work (trying to see if obsolescence applies equally). If no, how old was the tablet when the App ceased functioning.

2. can Android tablets be used as a remote? (been seeing conflicting reports)

TIA.

Question for users of the Uverse App for Android tablets

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 11:17:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by PotatoeGuru on Nov 14, 2013 at 11:18:22 AM
There are two different Android apps -- one for mobile devices (phones) and then a new one specifically made for tablets.

This is the one I use on my Galaxy Note 10.1 and it's quite nice. I just wish the remote part of it was a bit bigger.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.att.labs.uversetv.android.tablet

Previously, tablet users had to make do with the mobile device version .Here's the phone one so you can see the difference between the two.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.att.android.uverse&hl=en
There are two different Android apps -- one for mobile devices (phones) and then a new one specifically made for tablets.

This is the one I use on my Galaxy Note 10.1 and it's quite nice. I just wish the remote part of it was a bit bigger.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.att.labs.uversetv.android.tablet

Previously, tablet users had to make do with the mobile device version .Here's the phone one so you can see the difference between the two.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.att.android.uverse&hl=en

Re: Question for users of the Uverse App for Android tablets

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 5:01:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. If I understand that right the android app is compatible with anything back to the Ice Cream sandwich version then which I guess puts about about the same timeline then of what they're providing for iPad users. So now I just have to decide whether Apple is more likely to effectively limit shelf life of current iPads or whether android devices will in the future become less likely to support newer operating systems.

Thanks for your reply. If I understand that right the android app is compatible with anything back to the Ice Cream sandwich version then which I guess puts about about the same timeline then of what they're providing for iPad users. So now I just have to decide whether Apple is more likely to effectively limit shelf life of current iPads or whether android devices will in the future become less likely to support newer operating systems.

3 of 6 (468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 12:23:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

just a name wrote:

I have a two year old Vizio VTAB, running ICS.  The normal U-Verse app works fine but I never located the tablet-centric app on the Play Store, meaning that it must not work / be compatible with my tablet.  AFAIK, the app still works.  No remote through the app BUT the Vizio has an IR blaster and cool universal remote app - meaning I have a Harmony-esque Universal Remote, lol.

The most recent Bloomberg magazine has predictions for 2014 and they are saying that some company (Datawind?) will be offering a full featured 7" tablet for $40!

just a name wrote:

I have a two year old Vizio VTAB, running ICS.  The normal U-Verse app works fine but I never located the tablet-centric app on the Play Store, meaning that it must not work / be compatible with my tablet.  AFAIK, the app still works.  No remote through the app BUT the Vizio has an IR blaster and cool universal remote app - meaning I have a Harmony-esque Universal Remote, lol.

The most recent Bloomberg magazine has predictions for 2014 and they are saying that some company (Datawind?) will be offering a full featured 7" tablet for $40!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 2:51:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

dhascall wrote:

just a name wrote:

The a
I believe the Android tablet app is just a few weeks old, so that's probably why you never found it. The standard one DOES work fine, but the enhanced content

dhascall wrote:

just a name wrote:

The a
I believe the Android tablet app is just a few weeks old, so that's probably why you never found it. The standard one DOES work fine, but the enhanced content

5 of 6 (415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 2:46:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

PotatoeGuru wrote:

dhascall wrote:

just a name wrote:

The a

I'll check again PG!

PotatoeGuru wrote:

dhascall wrote:

just a name wrote:

The a

I'll check again PG!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 6 (380 Views)