Question for users of the Uverse App for Android tablets

Highlighted
Contributor

Question for users of the Uverse App for Android tablets

Like many others I have recently found my older iPad no longer being a functioning item to use with Uverse. I understand progress and requests for advances (like streaming tv) would put a strain on the ability of older devices to be able to handle that.

 

But really all I ever did was use the device to look at the guide while still watching a show as it was quicker than the receiver's guide, schedule/delete recordings, and use it as a remote because the regular remote seems too buggy unless it is in direct line of sight of the receiver.

 

It was realistically time to update my tablet anyways, but I am this time also considering an Android tablet. So I had a few questions:

 

1. for owners of older Android tablets: does the Android app still work (trying to see if obsolescence applies equally). If no, how old was the tablet when the App ceased functioning.

 

2. can Android tablets be used as a remote? (been seeing conflicting reports)

 

TIA.

 

 

 

 

Message 1 of 6 (515 Views)
Scholar

Re: Question for users of the Uverse App for Android tablets

[ Edited ]
There are two different Android apps -- one for mobile devices (phones) and then a new one specifically made for tablets.

This is the one I use on my Galaxy Note 10.1 and it's quite nice. I just wish the remote part of it was a bit bigger.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.att.labs.uversetv.android.tablet

Previously, tablet users had to make do with the mobile device version .Here's the phone one so you can see the difference between the two.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.att.android.uverse&hl=en
Message 2 of 6 (499 Views)
Contributor

Re: Question for users of the Uverse App for Android tablets

Thanks for your reply. If I understand that right the android app is compatible with anything back to the Ice Cream sandwich version then which I guess puts about about the same timeline then of what they're providing for iPad users. So now I just have to decide whether Apple is more likely to effectively limit shelf life of current iPads or whether android devices will in the future become less likely to support newer operating systems.

Message 3 of 6 (476 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Question for users of the Uverse App for Android tablets


just a name wrote:

Thanks for your reply. If I understand that right the android app is compatible with anything back to the Ice Cream sandwich version then which I guess puts about about the same timeline then of what they're providing for iPad users. So now I just have to decide whether Apple is more likely to effectively limit shelf life of current iPads or whether android devices will in the future become less likely to support newer operating systems.


I have a two year old Vizio VTAB, running ICS.  The normal U-Verse app works fine but I never located the tablet-centric app on the Play Store, meaning that it must not work / be compatible with my tablet.  AFAIK, the app still works.  No remote through the app BUT the Vizio has an IR blaster and cool universal remote app - meaning I have a Harmony-esque Universal Remote, lol.

 

The most recent Bloomberg magazine has predictions for 2014 and they are saying that some company (Datawind?) will be offering a full featured 7" tablet for $40!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (438 Views)
Scholar

Re: Question for users of the Uverse App for Android tablets


dhascall wrote:

just a name wrote:

Thanks for your reply. If I understand that right the android app is compatible with anything back to the Ice Cream sandwich version then which I guess puts about about the same timeline then of what they're providing for iPad users. So now I just have to decide whether Apple is more likely to effectively limit shelf life of current iPads or whether android devices will in the future become less likely to support newer operating systems.


I have a two year old Vizio VTAB, running ICS.  The normal U-Verse app works fine but I never located the tablet-centric app on the Play Store, meaning that it must not work / be compatible with my tablet.  AFAIK, the app still works.  No remote through the app BUT the Vizio has an IR blaster and cool universal remote app - meaning I have a Harmony-esque Universal Remote, lol.

 

The most recent Bloomberg magazine has predictions for 2014 and they are saying that some company (Datawind?) will be offering a full featured 7" tablet for $40!


The a
I believe the Android tablet app is just a few weeks old, so that's probably why you never found it. The standard one DOES work fine, but the enhanced content
Message 5 of 6 (423 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Question for users of the Uverse App for Android tablets


PotatoeGuru wrote:

dhascall wrote:

just a name wrote:

Thanks for your reply. If I understand that right the android app is compatible with anything back to the Ice Cream sandwich version then which I guess puts about about the same timeline then of what they're providing for iPad users. So now I just have to decide whether Apple is more likely to effectively limit shelf life of current iPads or whether android devices will in the future become less likely to support newer operating systems.


I have a two year old Vizio VTAB, running ICS.  The normal U-Verse app works fine but I never located the tablet-centric app on the Play Store, meaning that it must not work / be compatible with my tablet.  AFAIK, the app still works.  No remote through the app BUT the Vizio has an IR blaster and cool universal remote app - meaning I have a Harmony-esque Universal Remote, lol.

 

The most recent Bloomberg magazine has predictions for 2014 and they are saying that some company (Datawind?) will be offering a full featured 7" tablet for $40!


The a
I believe the Android tablet app is just a few weeks old, so that's probably why you never found it. The standard one DOES work fine, but the enhanced content

I'll check again PG!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6 (388 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.