Question about Install

Question about Install

Alright I'm switching from dsl to uverse sometime next week.    My current setup is modem and router upstairs and a powerline adapter that gives me wired internet in the basement for 2 tvs and a second access point.    I stupidly ordered another pair of powerline adapters premtively for uverse because I figured that was easier than dealing with a second router setup.   Now I already have a switch that I could use.  I used to have cable but that got ripped out when direct tv installed a few years back so I'm pretty sure there is no coax in the house.   Now my question is will a&t install new cat 5/e/6 cable and run it from the modem on opposite end of house to the tv on other end of house?  And if they do can I use the switch I already have to feed the tv/ps3/ps4/another access point? Also with uverse it seems like all of a sudden I'll have a spare dual band router lying around.  Would it be worth the hassle to get that setup?  Sorry if thiis is too long but I really just got my network the way I wanted it right before the switch.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Master

Re: Question about Install

What I would do is wait until the U-verse tech arrives and discuss the installation with him/her.  The tech might place the new U-verse router at a different spot than where you think it should go so if you tried to do any preliminary work it might all be for not.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5

True you are right of course. Just wanted to prepare as much as possible so it's not as painful to get everything setup when they set it up

Message 3 of 5
Contributor

dont let them lie to you during the installation.  you can get 1 cat5 cable run to your uverse gateway and 3 additional cat5 or coax runs to your boxes.  cat5 is recommended.  depending on your the package your getting, you maybe getting wireless boxes.  i also recommend keeping them closest to the gateway for good reception.  the technicians should also have netgear switches that the boxes can run off also.  they can run 1 cat5 from the gateway to a switch and have the box and other devices run off of it.  you can run an additional router off of the gateway.  the gateway already has wifi and ethernet ports though. just make sure your ip addresses dont conflict.

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

killamike wrote:

dont let them lie to you during the installation.  you can get 1 cat5 cable run to your uverse gateway and 3 additional cat5 or coax runs to your boxes.  cat5 is recommended.  depending on your the package your getting, you maybe getting wireless boxes.  i also recommend keeping them closest to the gateway for good reception.  the technicians should also have netgear switches that the boxes can run off also.  they can run 1 cat5 from the gateway to a switch and have the box and other devices run off of it.  you can run an additional router off of the gateway.  the gateway already has wifi and ethernet ports though. just make sure your ip addresses dont conflict.

You are allocated a total of 3 cable runs free.  I believe the home run counts as one of those, though the installer may have some leeway on that.

However, those runs will likely not be fished through walls, etc., but wrapped around the outside of the house or along baseboards.  If this is not what you want, then you may need to do your own wiring.  Or, just allow them to distribute signals to your STB/DVR using Coax.

The Wireless boxes work from the WAP provided for them, which isn't and doesn't have to be near the RG (Residential Gateway).

You have to be careful how and what things are run off a single switch, especially if you are going to add another wireless router or access point.

In short, search around these forums and you'll find much better advice.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support