Question Before I Sign Up

Contributor

Question Before I Sign Up

Allrighty then. I am not getting the clearest answer as I read on the site.

If I subscribe to Uverse in Atlanta at Max Plus (18 down), I know I am required to purchase the modem outright, as opposed to lease it.

If that is the case, am I required to purchase one of the all-in-one modem/router gateway dealies, or would I be able to request a simple modem I can put my own router behind?

It is not that I am doing any sort of complicated home networking.  However, I would far prefer to be able to hook up my own router to whatever modem they give me without having to change things in their device and mine.  

Message 1 of 2

Re: Question Before I Sign Up

Rhaethe wrote:

Allrighty then. I am not getting the clearest answer as I read on the site.

If I subscribe to Uverse in Atlanta at Max Plus (18 down), I know I am required to purchase the modem outright, as opposed to lease it.

If that is the case, am I required to purchase one of the all-in-one modem/router gateway dealies, or would I be able to request a simple modem I can put my own router behind?

It is not that I am doing any sort of complicated home networking.  However, I would far prefer to be able to hook up my own router to whatever modem they give me without having to change things in their device and mine.  

This is not necessarily true. Depending on your distance from the VRAD you may need to be pair bonded. If you are pair-bonded you will need a Motorola NVG589, which is lease only. Also, if you sign up for TV, you will need to lease the RG. 

If I can recall correctly, the only options currently available for purchase for VDSL set-ups are the 2Wire 3600, and the 2Wire/Pace 5031NV. Both are gateway units. Although, you can disable the wireless function, and still use your own router in DMZ+ mode. 

Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support