Putting Netgear Router behind Gateway for Parental Controls

Highlighted

Putting Netgear Router behind Gateway for Parental Controls

Last month I upgraded from AT&T DSL to Uverse (internet & phone).  I have teenagers in the house with multiple electronic devices (ipod touch, tablet, laptop.) With the old DSL I used openDNS  to restrict wifi access.  Certain time blocks would shut down social networking sites.  This worked really well!  No fussing from the kids, no commandeering their devices, they could still use their devices for homework and I could still use my Roku for tv shows.

Enter Uverse!  Great internet speed, but all of that control is gone.  I have, in the heat of passion, turned off the modem to get the kids off the internet: WHOOPS the battery is beeping and our phone service just hiccoughed!

Through these boards I have gleaned that it may be possible for me to hardwire my old Netgear N300 into the Uverse Gateway (3801HGV) and setup openDNS controls again through netgear.  Before I attempt this, I have some questions:

1. Can I leave wifi operating from the Gateway but use a secret password?  I would like to leave my Roku and personal laptop on the gateway to preserve the highest speed possible. My Roku actually connects to a Netgear booster I have located near my bedroom.

2. Will the N300 really slow down the speed for the kids?  Would buying an N900 or other new Netgear be more efficient?

3.  What edits will I need to make to these instructions: http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

4.  Frankly, I'm pretty computer savvy but the instructions above are just a tad over my head....any advice?

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 8 (2,290 Views)
Teacher

Re: Putting Netgear Router behind Gateway for Parental Controls

I am replying only to sympathize with your problem.   another issue comes up with wireless internet tv devices (blu-ray player, roku, apple tv) that could never be set up to login to att parental control.  I would encourage the corporate behemoth to provide state of the art equipment and design in order to amaze their customer base.  We all want to feel as if we are receiving the best possible service money can buy in exchange for paying thousands of dollars through the life of a contract.  wishful thinking I know.

Message 2 of 8 (2,277 Views)
ACE - Expert

A search for Netgear N300 turns up a bunch of different devices, some consumer, some ADSL2 modem, etc.  

Did you use this device in conjunction with a separate DSL modem, or was this device your DSL modem as well?  What is the exact actual model number?

You can configure the RG to continue to provide wireless access at the same time as your own device, just give them different SSID values and passwords.  You should also probably assign them separate wireless channels well away from each other (and other networks you can see from your house, if possible).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8 (2,234 Views)

Thanks for the reply, JefferMC. The N300 is just a router (it was used with a modem on dsl...actual model is wnr2000 v.2). I understand setting up separate SSID's & passwords, but what do you mean by separate "wireless channels well away from each other"? thanks again, Carol
Message 4 of 8 (2,045 Views)
ACE - Expert

The frequency spectrum used by 802.11g is divided up into 14 overlapping channels.  It is recommended that if you have two access points that you use channels that are far enough apart to avoid interfering with each other, e.g 1 and 7, 1 and 14, 7 and 14.  Access Points are supposed to take care of this automatically, but you can usually set them to be sure you get what you want.

This post, which is stickied at the top of this forum, discusses wireless interference and explains how to find free channels, etc.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8 (2,009 Views)

Giving this a bump - I'm finally desperate to set this up and spent most of my day trying to get it to work with no success.  Unfortunately I can't even find where to set my router's WAN Interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  I have checked for it to get a DNS address automatically but I don't think that's the same thing.  When I connect the two from one of the Uverse Ethernet ports to the Netgear Internet port (or one of the ethernet ports), I can't find it listed as a device in the Uverse settings.

I have the Uverse 3801HGV for telephone and internet only (no TV).  I have a Netgear N300 WNR2000 (old DSL router) that I am trying to connect as a router for the kids to use so I can regain some parental controls. Has anyone done this?

If I don't get this resolved, we'll be dropping uverse and going back to Comcast.

My teens have smartphones (with no data svc so they use the wifi) and ipods.  Between that awful snapchat, fb, twitter, etc. there are way too many services for me to monitor.  I need to be able to set the wifi to shut off at a certain time every evening.

Hope someone out there can help.

~ Carol (frazzled mom of 4)

Message 6 of 8 (726 Views)
ACE - Guru

Hi Carol

See if this will help you.

Message 7 of 8 (712 Views)

That's the link I'm using  and I can't even get past the first step - cant find where to set the Netgear to get an IP address via DHCP....

Message 8 of 8 (692 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.