Purchasing Gateway modem and receivers instead of renting?

Contributor

Purchasing Gateway modem and receivers instead of renting?

I am interested in purchasing a residential gateway modem and wireless router, and U-verse receivers, instead of paying rental to AT&T each month? Is there any kind of problem with doing this, and if so, what? Also, what modem and router would be recommended? I have noticed that eBay has many of the current items available, but I have not participated in any of the bidding until I am sure that the hardware can be used.

Message 1 of 7 (369 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Purchasing Gateway modem and receivers instead of renting?

[ Edited ]

You may not purchase your receivers. All receivers must be rented. The gateway can be owned(for $100), but you cannot have TV service. TV service, being too far from the VRAD, and being on the Power tier require a rented gateway.

You may purchase your own retail router and hook it up to the gateway(turning off the gateway's wireless), but you still need the gateway which will require a rental fee.

If you didn't have TV you would have a few options to purchase.

Not many companies in the U.S. allow for purchased receivers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (364 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I suspected as such. Why is som much of this equipment available for purchase on eBay? Are many of those purchasing the equipment finding out that the equipment is useless?

Message 3 of 7 (358 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

If have or plan on internet only or internet/voip services, depending on type of circuit can purchase the 510 gateway for adsl2+ circuit (your address does quailfy for IPTV) or the 3600, or 5031 vdsl (IPTV is available but your not paying for service)

All vdsl services request IPTV involves leasing the gateway and all receivers, including DVR, hardwired set top boxes and wireless receivers. No option to purchase.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7 (357 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

As My Thoughts listed above, there are a few models that are available to be purchased(only if you don't have TV and meet certain criteria). Those are usually what's on Ebay. There are receivers/leased gateways on Ebay, but those are stolen and won't work on someone else's account.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7 (351 Views)
Contributor

Thanks. I have the full package with AT&T Uverse. U450, internet, and phone. I also have 5 wired receivers, and 2 wireless. Unless I stay under a promo, my price goes up every 3-6 months. Usually because of the equipment rental. I wanted to stabilize my costs per month without having to call in after promo expires. I am interested in another wireless receiver. I was told by an AT&T Uverse technician that soon customers will be able to add additional wireless receivers. Is this true? Also, I have the wireless package with my smartphones thru AT&T, so I am spending most of my monthly utility costs to one company. My wireless service is under a Fan # for cooperate discount. Why does U-Verse not offer this same discount? At least that was what I was told by CS rep.

Message 6 of 7 (348 Views)
ACE - Professor

There are rumors that they will allow more than two receivers in the future, but no one really knows. I think the reason beind the max of two was because of some mac address issue or something like that. The new wireless APs(the VAP2500/VEN501) should be able to easily handle more than two if whatever issue before was fixed. I don't know the real details behind the issue since it's been awhile since I read why.

I don't know about that discount question though.

Message 7 of 7 (337 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.