Purchase Additional 2Wire i38HG Units

Purchase Additional 2Wire i38HG Units

[ Edited ]

I just had the 18 Mbs U-Verse internet service installed last week to replace my 6 Mbs DSL service with AT&T.  Since I am 3600 feet from the VRAD, they had to install the iNID setup which comprises the 2Wire i3812V outdoor unit and the i38HG indoor gateway. Actually, to gain better wireless coverage, the tech installed two of the i38HG units, one at each end of the house.  The documentation for the i3812V states that the system can support up to eight of the i38HG gateways.  I am wondering if I can purchase one or more additional i38HG units from AT&T and if so, how much do they cost?  I am not willing to pay $6 per month to lease one.  I have seen used ones on eBay priced in the $25-50 range, but I am not sure if they are compatable with my system, and buying used items is always risky.

Message 1 of 20 (6,257 Views)
Voyager

Re: Purchase Additional 2Wire i38HG Units

I had U-Verse installed last summer including the 2Wire i38HG in-house residential gateway. Based on the above posting, I decided to see if adding a second i38HG to my house would improve the wireless signal. As part of the original install, the technician placed the i38HG on the second floor of my house in a room close to the center of the floor. Wireless coverage was strong on the second floor but only medium on the first floor with a weak/slow area in the kitchen. I got my hands on a used i38HG from ebay for $25. These things are truly plug-and-play. It took me about three minutes max to rip the unit out of the packaging, plug the power into the wall, and plug the phone line in. I placed the second unit in the kitchen where we normally have laptops, ipads, iphones, and android phones.

Voila! I now have a strong wireless signal in the kitchen. The second unit cloned the SSID and password from the primary unit and even set itself to channel 11 away from the primary unit on channel 3. If you currently have the i38HG and are looking to fill in some dead zones in your house, consider adding another i38HG!

Message 16 of 20 (4,139 Views)
Contributor

HI, When you add your additional units how are they wired together or do they pick up wireless connectivity with each? The only active phone jack in my house is down in the basement in my apsrtment. If I supplied AC Power would it not synch with the main i38HG unit?
You post really help me. Thank you for posting the valuable information.
Steve
Message 17 of 20 (3,572 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

The additional I38HG are wired as an extension of the same cable that feeds the first one from the i3812 iNID unit.  Normally this is Cat 3, Cat5 or Coax.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 20 (3,552 Views)
Voyager

Each i38HG needs power and a hot phone line. Each i38HG connects to the outside box i3812V. If you have two i38HG units the first one will act as the master and the second one as the slave. The slave will clone the wireless SSID and password from the master. The slave needs a working phone line just like the master in order to connect to the i3812V.

Message 19 of 20 (3,320 Views)
Contributor

I also have a second modem/router and I plugged in the phone line and the power. It was recognized by the i3812V unit. It came on but then just quits working. I will reset it and it works fine but just goes offline again. Not sure why.
Message 20 of 20 (1,378 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.