Problems with Cisco wireless receiver, both wired and wireless

Highlighted
Teacher

Problems with Cisco wireless receiver, both wired and wireless

Having some new issues with my Uverse setup, trying to troubleshoot on my own.

I have a motorola 2250 DVR, 1 Cisco 7005 wireless receiver, i3812V inid, and I38HG RG.  DVR direct ethernet to RG, two desktops hardwired into RG, 1 WAP hardwired direct to the RG.  Pretty basic setup.  The Cisco and AP are ~8 feet apart, almost direct line of sight.  

My intitial issues were huge.  Live TV fine on the Cisco, but no DVR function available.  Terrible internet speed, stuttering on live TV from tiem to time.  Hung in there, have had multiple tech visits, line techs, etc.  Service finally worked as expected.  Until last week.  Back to the old problem of no DVR function on Cisco box, TV stuttering from time to time on Cisco box, live TV still available.  Motorola DVR working fine, no issues.  Internet speed is iffy, but still OK.

Today I had some time so I started messing with the setup, swapped the AP for a hardwired connection from RG to Cisco box.  I can now see the DVR contents on the Cisco unti, but pixelation is so bad I can't watch live TV and recorded programs won't start or if they do, immediately freeze because of pixelation.  Moto DVR still works perfectly fine.

Why on earth am I having these issues with a hardwired connection between the RG and Cisco STB???  I thought this should work as a plug and play solution???  I have done a full restart at the inid and restarted each component indivudually.

Any help?  Am I doing something wrong?

Message 1 of 5 (1,339 Views)
Employee

Re: Problems with Cisco wireless receiver, both wired and wireless

You have an iNID install, the RG is actually the iNID (big grey box normally outside) the Indoor unit (IU) i38hg is just a wireless box with 4 Ethernet ports.

Are both DVR and wifi receiver plugged into same IU or is dvr connected back to inid (coax or ethernet)?

If dvr is plugged into IU move wifi receiver to dvr location, how is picture quality?
Good, then suspect issue with cat5 cable trying to use,
Bad, then issue with receiver.

If dvr is not on IU, then with iffy wifi and pic quality, WAP issue suspect either IU or wiring from inid to IU.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (1,303 Views)
Teacher

Well I've done some more investigating with my setup and wiring.

I have not altered any of the wiring since my install.  Install was supposed to have 1 DVR and 1 wired STB.  Installer couldnt get wired/wired to work so he just threw a wireless box at me and left.

Anyhoo, the DVR is connect to INID via the "ethernet" port on the INID.  The "inside unit" is connected to the INID via a separate connection.  Then the WAP is connected to the inside unit.

When I connect the DVR straight to the inside unit via ethernet, TV is awful.  When I connect my own wifi router to the "ethernet" on the INID, internet is smoking fast, but TV is abyssmal (bc DVR is now connected to the inside unit).

DVR connected to the INID, DVR connection is great, STB not good, internet awful.

Seriously??? The DVR should NOT be connected to the "ethernet" port of the INID.  Ive done research and found that some people will use the "ethernet" port to use their own wifi router, which makes sense since my internet is then flying!  But connecting the TV the way it should be makes everything suck.  I'm suspecting a sketchy wire from INID to inside unit screwing everything up.

Great, another awesome service call to look forward to.  Just another day of work to miss.  What a great experience this has been

Message 3 of 5 (1,291 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

On the inids (released late 2010) set top boxes were supposed to connected on coax, the inids could not support hardwired or wireless receivers on IU till September 2012. The outdoor Ethernet port was NOT intended to be used for customer installs as any reset of the inid turns the port off, requiring accessing the GUI to enable.

Staying on inid, need hpna filter in OU if not already install. Possibly move pair in cable to IU or replace cat5 cable, jack?, data cable jack to IU?.

Tech might swap inid for 589 RG, about 2.5 to 3 hours depending on work involved. Requires removing inid, power supply, IU, installing new nid, extra protector, possible new cat5 homerun to RG location, particularly if different location from IU, updated new RG (15 -20 minutes), rebooting all set top boxes, new wifi SSID and pass key for wireless devices. New Ethernet cable from RG to DVR, if voip requires backfeeding line to house distribution point.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (1,281 Views)
Employee

Hello jpasiczn,

It really seems like there is a problem with the connection between the Inside unit and the INID. I'm sorry this will require a technician on site although you were attempting to resolve this on your own. I can help you make arrangments to have this resolved. I sent you a private message to discuss your account and setup an appointment with a technician.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
Message 5 of 5 (1,267 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.