Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 18, 2008
9:52:41 AM
View profile
Problems configuring Outlook 2007 with ATT / Yahoo Webmai l!!!

I can't received emails on my outlook 2007. They all stay at the ATT / Yahoo webmail. I am able to received e-mails. This all happened yesterday when I switch to the "new" ATT / Yahoo venture. Which screwed my outlook settings. I spent yesterday close to 4 hours with ATT / Bellsouth support. They changed  my email settings more than 50 times and still it doesn't work. Any advice? They told me to called Microsoft which I did and they told me the problem is on ATT / Yahoo servers.

Thanks 

I can't received emails on my outlook 2007. They all stay at the ATT / Yahoo webmail. I am able to received e-mails. This all happened yesterday when I switch to the "new" ATT / Yahoo venture. Which screwed my outlook settings. I spent yesterday close to 4 hours with ATT / Bellsouth support. They changed  my email settings more than 50 times and still it doesn't work. Any advice? They told me to called Microsoft which I did and they told me the problem is on ATT / Yahoo servers.

Thanks 

Problems configuring Outlook 2007 with ATT / Yahoo Webmai l!!!

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2008 10:51:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have an old SBC account, but would hope they work the same. First, delete any accounts you have set up for ATT/Yahoo as they may be corrupted. Outlook sometimes has this problem.  Then you need to add a new one.

1. Click on the Tools menu in Outlook Express.
  2. Click on Accounts.
  3. Click on the Mail tab.
  4. Select your AT&T email account and click on the Properties button.
  5. Click on the Servers tab.
  6. Verify these settings:
    • For "My incoming mail server is a ____ server," the field contains POP3.
    • The Incoming mail (POP3) and Outgoing mail (SMTP) fields contain the correct mail server settings.
    • The Account name field contains your full AT&T email address (e.g., YourName@att.net).
    • The box next to Log on using Secure Password Authentication is NOT checked.
    • The My server requires authentication box is checked.
  7. Click on the Advanced tab.
  8. Verify these settings:

Note: When updating the secure sever settings, check SSL checkbox first, then update the port number setting.

• Under Outgoing mail (SMTP) should be port 465 and the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is checked.
    • Under Incoming mail (POP3) should be port 995 and the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is checked.
  9. Click OK.
  10. Click Close.

Also make sure you are on SP1 as it fixed a bunch of issues. The Outlook version should be 12.0.6316.5000.

I have an old SBC account, but would hope they work the same. First, delete any accounts you have set up for ATT/Yahoo as they may be corrupted. Outlook sometimes has this problem.  Then you need to add a new one.

1. Click on the Tools menu in Outlook Express.
  2. Click on Accounts.
  3. Click on the Mail tab.
  4. Select your AT&T email account and click on the Properties button.
  5. Click on the Servers tab.
  6. Verify these settings:
    • For "My incoming mail server is a ____ server," the field contains POP3.
    • The Incoming mail (POP3) and Outgoing mail (SMTP) fields contain the correct mail server settings.
    • The Account name field contains your full AT&T email address (e.g., YourName@att.net).
    • The box next to Log on using Secure Password Authentication is NOT checked.
    • The My server requires authentication box is checked.
  7. Click on the Advanced tab.
  8. Verify these settings:

Note: When updating the secure sever settings, check SSL checkbox first, then update the port number setting.

• Under Outgoing mail (SMTP) should be port 465 and the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is checked.
    • Under Incoming mail (POP3) should be port 995 and the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is checked.
  9. Click OK.
  10. Click Close.

Also make sure you are on SP1 as it fixed a bunch of issues. The Outlook version should be 12.0.6316.5000.

Re: Problems configuring Outlook 2007 with ATT / Yahoo Webmai l!!!

2 of 19 (4,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2008 11:38:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your reply.

I am using microsoft outlook 2007 not outlook express on an Windws XP - Home edition SP2.

The strange thing here is I can send emails, but I can't receive emails. They stay at the webmail ....

Thanks for your reply.

I am using microsoft outlook 2007 not outlook express on an Windws XP - Home edition SP2.

The strange thing here is I can send emails, but I can't receive emails. They stay at the webmail ....

3 of 19 (4,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2008 11:46:22 AM
(0)
Professor
Just follow Creepers instructions and it will work fine.
Just follow Creepers instructions and it will work fine.

4 of 19 (4,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2008 11:53:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

TYVM

I will try that solution. Hope it works.

:smileyhappy:

TYVM

I will try that solution. Hope it works.

:smileyhappy:

5 of 19 (4,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2008 3:07:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

I FIX the problem running the AT&T Optimization Tool:

http://patttbc.att.motive.com/motivedocs/installers/ATT

I FIX the problem running the AT&T Optimization Tool:

http://patttbc.att.motive.com/motivedocs/installers/ATT

6 of 19 (4,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2008 3:23:32 PM
(0)
Guru
Message Edited by jimfitzgerald on 02-02-2009 02:45 AM
Message Edited by jimfitzgerald on 02-02-2009 02:45 AM

7 of 19 (4,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2008 11:41:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

Outlook stoped sending receiving messages today:  Got error message saying server was interupted.  Called tech support tier one and two.  Let tier two take control using remote assistance.  Still could not get Outlook to send receive.  Tried the self help tool and got the response the member Id could not be validated.

Tier two set up windows mail and it worked so figured Outlook was corrupted until Windows mailed stopped working.  Finally figured the problem was with Windows One Live care.  I added my parents computer to my subscription today and used my computer as a "Hub"  As soon as I told Windows One Live care to stop using my pc as a hub Outlook resumed working correctly!

FYI

Outlook stoped sending receiving messages today:  Got error message saying server was interupted.  Called tech support tier one and two.  Let tier two take control using remote assistance.  Still could not get Outlook to send receive.  Tried the self help tool and got the response the member Id could not be validated.

Tier two set up windows mail and it worked so figured Outlook was corrupted until Windows mailed stopped working.  Finally figured the problem was with Windows One Live care.  I added my parents computer to my subscription today and used my computer as a "Hub"  As soon as I told Windows One Live care to stop using my pc as a hub Outlook resumed working correctly!

FYI

8 of 19 (4,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2008 3:58:34 PM
(0)
Master
I use Outlook XP, and the one thing I have run in to is, since Yahoo switched to secure servers, I always have one random account fail. Usually with a SNMP SSL error on outgoing server or it throws up a userID/password window on one of the accounts. It will almost always happen on an account that is sending something, but only one account if more than one is sending. I have five accounts, 3 from the SBC DSL days and two from SBC webhosting. Once the SNMP error occurs, I have to close and restart Outlook before it will work again. Oddly enough, when I run the test from the account cofiguration panel, it passes. Go figure.

I use Outlook XP, and the one thing I have run in to is, since Yahoo switched to secure servers, I always have one random account fail. Usually with a SNMP SSL error on outgoing server or it throws up a userID/password window on one of the accounts. It will almost always happen on an account that is sending something, but only one account if more than one is sending. I have five accounts, 3 from the SBC DSL days and two from SBC webhosting. Once the SNMP error occurs, I have to close and restart Outlook before it will work again. Oddly enough, when I run the test from the account cofiguration panel, it passes. Go figure.

neon_sign.jpg

9 of 19 (4,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2009 2:06:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having a similar problem, plus an additional one. For some reason, Outlook 2007 defaults to connecting to the SMTP server through an encrypted connection. If you leave it like that, it's problematic, as neither the Bellsouth server, nor the U-Verse server use an encrypted connection. First though, make sure you have corrected your Outlook email account to reflect the changes that U-verse requires. There is a good step-by-step instructional on doing this on the AT&T web site. Just search under support. Now to answer your main question,  go to "Tools," then "Account Settings." Select your email account and then select "Repair" just above it. It too will first attempt to connect through an encrypted connection, but when it fails, it then attempts an unencrypted connection, which should work. It will send you a test email and you'll see a message that your email account has been fixed. Your Outlook 2007 Inbox will also be filled with all those emails that have been sitting on the server.

Now my other problem is that I have two additional Bellsouth email addresses and other than first creating a "sub-account" on AT&T and then creating an AT&T email, I have found no other way to migrate these two addresses over to AT&T. I do not want to change them to an ATT domain. I need to keep them just as they are. Any ideas?

Thanks

SSG

I am having a similar problem, plus an additional one. For some reason, Outlook 2007 defaults to connecting to the SMTP server through an encrypted connection. If you leave it like that, it's problematic, as neither the Bellsouth server, nor the U-Verse server use an encrypted connection. First though, make sure you have corrected your Outlook email account to reflect the changes that U-verse requires. There is a good step-by-step instructional on doing this on the AT&T web site. Just search under support. Now to answer your main question,  go to "Tools," then "Account Settings." Select your email account and then select "Repair" just above it. It too will first attempt to connect through an encrypted connection, but when it fails, it then attempts an unencrypted connection, which should work. It will send you a test email and you'll see a message that your email account has been fixed. Your Outlook 2007 Inbox will also be filled with all those emails that have been sitting on the server.

Now my other problem is that I have two additional Bellsouth email addresses and other than first creating a "sub-account" on AT&T and then creating an AT&T email, I have found no other way to migrate these two addresses over to AT&T. I do not want to change them to an ATT domain. I need to keep them just as they are. Any ideas?

Thanks

SSG

10 of 19 (4,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2009 5:53:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

I migrated from BellSouth to U-verse and I was able to move all 6 of my accounts. One primary and 5 secondary all with email aliases. I was able to do this during the install step with the install tech still here.  

Yes, they all stayed in the bellsouth.net domain. We used this web page: https://lsreg.att.net/LightspeedRegWeb/ProcessByIP.do  but before you run with the scissors, I would suggest you call U-verse Tech support and discuss your options since you don't want to lose your accounts in the wrong process.

Dave

Message Edited by dave006 on 02-21-2009 05:54 PM

I migrated from BellSouth to U-verse and I was able to move all 6 of my accounts. One primary and 5 secondary all with email aliases. I was able to do this during the install step with the install tech still here.  

Yes, they all stayed in the bellsouth.net domain. We used this web page: https://lsreg.att.net/LightspeedRegWeb/ProcessByIP.do  but before you run with the scissors, I would suggest you call U-verse Tech support and discuss your options since you don't want to lose your accounts in the wrong process.

Dave

11 of 19 (3,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 5:30:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

David,

Thanks for the info. Will contact them and move in a step-by-step manner.

Regards,

SSG

David,

Thanks for the info. Will contact them and move in a step-by-step manner.

Regards,

SSG

12 of 19 (3,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2009 10:38:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you can receive mails but you cannot send and you have done everything that has been posted earlier, contact tech support and ask if the SMTP is blocked. If yes, ask them to unblock it. Well they will actually unblock it after walking you through some things but to cut the (long) chase, tell them what you have done so far and ask for the SMTP to be unblocked.

Moreover, make sure that the SSL numbers on the settings are right. for POP3 it should be 995 and for SMTP it should be 465..........

If you can receive mails but you cannot send and you have done everything that has been posted earlier, contact tech support and ask if the SMTP is blocked. If yes, ask them to unblock it. Well they will actually unblock it after walking you through some things but to cut the (long) chase, tell them what you have done so far and ask for the SMTP to be unblocked.

Moreover, make sure that the SSL numbers on the settings are right. for POP3 it should be 995 and for SMTP it should be 465..........

13 of 19 (3,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2009 11:14:35 PM
(0)
Guru

dave006 wrote:

Dave

That link is actually for registering the Internet account. If you are from AT&T DSL internet before and you migrated to U-verse High Speed Internet Access(HSIA) then you can choose to keep you existing ID, or if want to create a new one you can also do so.

But it would be better to call TS for assistance to make sure you are doing the right thing.

dave006 wrote:

Dave

That link is actually for registering the Internet account. If you are from AT&T DSL internet before and you migrated to U-verse High Speed Internet Access(HSIA) then you can choose to keep you existing ID, or if want to create a new one you can also do so.

But it would be better to call TS for assistance to make sure you are doing the right thing.

14 of 19 (3,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2010 8:50:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I received the below instruction (actually worked for all 3 email addresses!!!) to my problem from "Chris" with sending out xxxx@bellsouth.net emails through our OUTLOOK 2007 (Microsoft XP):  Note:  You may need to get Tech Support to unlock "server 25".  Good luck

Email Program Settings Field:Enter:
Incoming (POP)pop.att.yahoo.com
Outgoing (SMTP)smtp.att.yahoo.com
(requires authentication)
Incoming mail server:POP3
Incoming/Outgoing User Name:Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)
Incoming mail port #:995, secure connection (SSL) checked
Outgoing mail port #465, secure connection (SSL) checked

I received the below instruction (actually worked for all 3 email addresses!!!) to my problem from "Chris" with sending out xxxx@bellsouth.net emails through our OUTLOOK 2007 (Microsoft XP):  Note:  You may need to get Tech Support to unlock "server 25".  Good luck

Email Program Settings Field:Enter:
Incoming (POP)pop.att.yahoo.com
Outgoing (SMTP)smtp.att.yahoo.com
(requires authentication)
Incoming mail server:POP3
Incoming/Outgoing User Name:Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)
Incoming mail port #:995, secure connection (SSL) checked
Outgoing mail port #465, secure connection (SSL) checked

15 of 19 (3,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2010 3:31:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for your help... it fixed sending and receiving.  I am amazed that the installer had no clue how to do this.  You saved me hours sitting on the phone with tech support. 

Thanks for your help... it fixed sending and receiving.  I am amazed that the installer had no clue how to do this.  You saved me hours sitting on the phone with tech support. 

16 of 19 (3,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 8:33:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello,

I got Uverse for the first time about a week 1/2 ago. which didn't work till a few days when a group of two tech came out to fix the outside and the inside issues with the line. after that i found out that my outlook 2007 doesn't work (sending emails).

ATT tech told me that they don't support OUTLOOK "it is a microsoft product" i told him that 80% of world uses Microsoft. cut a long story short. i've a fix now for outlook

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS AND YOU WILL BE A HAPPY PERSON.

login to your att.net mail account by going to http://att.my.yahoo.com

click on Mail

options on the top right

then select more options from the drop down box

select accounts from left column

select add account from top bar

now you can fill the information like

name the account (anything you want)

your name (name you want people to see)

email address (email you want people to see as sender)

in receiving mail section enter the following

Inbox

your username@domain.com (e.g. johndoe@mycompany.com)

your password (the password you have for your email address above)

your pop mail server name (e.g. mail.mycompany.com)

now save the settings from top bar

a window will pop up to ask you to send an email confirmation to the address you selected to verify that you are setting up your account. click on that and check your email for a confirmation code.

enter that code from the email into the box on the pop window.

this concludes the addition / verification of the account.

NOW GO TO YOUR OUTLOOK 2003/2007 OR WHICHEVER PROGRAM VERSION YOU HAVE

setup the account normally except in

SMTP set : smtp.att.yahoo.com

click on more settings

in the outgoing server put the following info.

check the box "my outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication

select: log on using and then enter your att.net account information (e.g. myusername@att.net) and password

select: remember password

Move on to Advance TAB and select

SMTP to PORT 465 (instead of 25)

change encrypted connections to (SSL)

leave the rest

OK & NEXT & FINISH

you should be a happy person :smileyhappy:

Chao

Hello,

I got Uverse for the first time about a week 1/2 ago. which didn't work till a few days when a group of two tech came out to fix the outside and the inside issues with the line. after that i found out that my outlook 2007 doesn't work (sending emails).

ATT tech told me that they don't support OUTLOOK "it is a microsoft product" i told him that 80% of world uses Microsoft. cut a long story short. i've a fix now for outlook

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS AND YOU WILL BE A HAPPY PERSON.

login to your att.net mail account by going to http://att.my.yahoo.com

click on Mail

options on the top right

then select more options from the drop down box

select accounts from left column

select add account from top bar

now you can fill the information like

name the account (anything you want)

your name (name you want people to see)

email address (email you want people to see as sender)

in receiving mail section enter the following

Inbox

your username@domain.com (e.g. johndoe@mycompany.com)

your password (the password you have for your email address above)

your pop mail server name (e.g. mail.mycompany.com)

now save the settings from top bar

a window will pop up to ask you to send an email confirmation to the address you selected to verify that you are setting up your account. click on that and check your email for a confirmation code.

enter that code from the email into the box on the pop window.

this concludes the addition / verification of the account.

NOW GO TO YOUR OUTLOOK 2003/2007 OR WHICHEVER PROGRAM VERSION YOU HAVE

setup the account normally except in

SMTP set : smtp.att.yahoo.com

click on more settings

in the outgoing server put the following info.

check the box "my outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication

select: log on using and then enter your att.net account information (e.g. myusername@att.net) and password

select: remember password

Move on to Advance TAB and select

SMTP to PORT 465 (instead of 25)

change encrypted connections to (SSL)

leave the rest

OK & NEXT & FINISH

you should be a happy person :smileyhappy:

Chao

17 of 19 (3,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 9:54:40 AM
(0)
Tutor
Check this website http://www.setup-outlook.com
It shows you how to setup any email with any version of outlook. Hope it helps!
Check this website http://www.setup-outlook.com
It shows you how to setup any email with any version of outlook. Hope it helps!

18 of 19 (1,834 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 10:34:06 AM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

19 of 19 (1,831 Views)