Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 19, 2013
12:01:14 PM
View profile
Problem getting refund from UVerse
Edited by cathy2981 on Aug 19, 2013 at 12:03:37 PM

Trying to get my refund for equipment.  In March 2013 I cancelled by UVerse service, I explained we were on Social Security and were downsizing, I told the person that the movers had packed the equipment and put in storage.  That I would return it as soon as we found a place to move that we were staying with our daughter.  On June 16 $807.  was taken from our bank account for the equipment.  Since all mail was being forwarded to a temporary address I was unaware of this withdrawal.  This $807. is 50% of my social security monthly.  Once I was able to have movers allow me to go thru boxes I found the equip and returned it to AT&T in Modesto CA, I was told on that day July 16, 2013 that they had to talked to management and I would receive  my refund back into my bank account (the same way it was taken out) in no longer than 3 to 5 business days, I provided the store with my new address.  That time came and went, tried to get a hold of someone to help so called number on my bill I was told, oh they shouldn't have told me that and that the refund request was in the system and should be paid by check within 10 to 15 days, that was on about the 22nd of July.  I tried to explain that I am on social security and now my payments were past due and I was being hit with late fees and returned check charges and she was like can't help you.  I wait her 10 to 15 days no check still by now I am in the hole by over a $100 so I went back to the store I told them I need my money, mind you these were the same people that said $ would be to me in 3 to 5 days.  This was on July 14th or so these people now tell me sorry to late in day, we will call tomorrow.  They proceed to call me the next morning and proceed to tell me that oh the check is in the mail and has been for 9 days and just be patient and watch my mail.  I asked where was it mailed from Iraq, ha ha, just be patient, I told them I am done with patient, they need to have my $807 transfered to my account ;the same way they took it out or cut a manual check and Fed X it, these same people say sorry for the inconvience but we can't do either of those, so they all lied on July 16th, and all of you have continued to do so.  I was told well watch the mail tomorrow and it not their by monday you can tell us to stop pay the check and they will issue another one and mail it US Mail.  The store involved was the AT&T Store on McHenry in Modesto, CA. someone named Annamarie and the store Asst Manager.  Have any suggestions as to when my money will get back into my bank account,  I have never in all my years had any business tell me oh we can deposit your money back into account and we aren't capable of FedX your check.  Either the people that work for you are uncaring fools or they think I am and I guess I am for having any faith in AT&T.  All they keep saying is how this has never happened, bull.  Maybe this is how you make you margins buy using other peoples money. I need my money NOW, an elderly person on social security shouldn't have to go through this

Signed Linda [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Trying to get my refund for equipment.  In March 2013 I cancelled by UVerse service, I explained we were on Social Security and were downsizing, I told the person that the movers had packed the equipment and put in storage.  That I would return it as soon as we found a place to move that we were staying with our daughter.  On June 16 $807.  was taken from our bank account for the equipment.  Since all mail was being forwarded to a temporary address I was unaware of this withdrawal.  This $807. is 50% of my social security monthly.  Once I was able to have movers allow me to go thru boxes I found the equip and returned it to AT&T in Modesto CA, I was told on that day July 16, 2013 that they had to talked to management and I would receive  my refund back into my bank account (the same way it was taken out) in no longer than 3 to 5 business days, I provided the store with my new address.  That time came and went, tried to get a hold of someone to help so called number on my bill I was told, oh they shouldn't have told me that and that the refund request was in the system and should be paid by check within 10 to 15 days, that was on about the 22nd of July.  I tried to explain that I am on social security and now my payments were past due and I was being hit with late fees and returned check charges and she was like can't help you.  I wait her 10 to 15 days no check still by now I am in the hole by over a $100 so I went back to the store I told them I need my money, mind you these were the same people that said $ would be to me in 3 to 5 days.  This was on July 14th or so these people now tell me sorry to late in day, we will call tomorrow.  They proceed to call me the next morning and proceed to tell me that oh the check is in the mail and has been for 9 days and just be patient and watch my mail.  I asked where was it mailed from Iraq, ha ha, just be patient, I told them I am done with patient, they need to have my $807 transfered to my account ;the same way they took it out or cut a manual check and Fed X it, these same people say sorry for the inconvience but we can't do either of those, so they all lied on July 16th, and all of you have continued to do so.  I was told well watch the mail tomorrow and it not their by monday you can tell us to stop pay the check and they will issue another one and mail it US Mail.  The store involved was the AT&T Store on McHenry in Modesto, CA. someone named Annamarie and the store Asst Manager.  Have any suggestions as to when my money will get back into my bank account,  I have never in all my years had any business tell me oh we can deposit your money back into account and we aren't capable of FedX your check.  Either the people that work for you are uncaring fools or they think I am and I guess I am for having any faith in AT&T.  All they keep saying is how this has never happened, bull.  Maybe this is how you make you margins buy using other peoples money. I need my money NOW, an elderly person on social security shouldn't have to go through this

Signed Linda [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Problem getting refund from UVerse

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 12:40:21 PM
(0)
Employee
In march you canceled your service, you're allowed a period of time to return equipment (TOS terms of service)
If equipment is not returned then you are billed for lost or damaged property (90 days later that occurred)
So you had at least two months to to contact movers and return equipment something you were able to do within 30 days.

Please note i do not work in billing but from observation most credits seem to take three billing cycles
The same 90 days before funds were taken.
Is your mail still going to temporary address like the bill, is the mail still being forwarded if no permanent address given.
Would help to explain lost check

I am sorry for the delay and inconvenience, but wished you had taken more pro active approach to avoid the current.
You should be working with billing department directly to avoid confusion. The store and its employees (may be ATT employees or contractor) would not be able to write a check or make any direct payment arrangements that is billing department that you should be dealing with direct to ensure your understanding.
In march you canceled your service, you're allowed a period of time to return equipment (TOS terms of service)
If equipment is not returned then you are billed for lost or damaged property (90 days later that occurred)
So you had at least two months to to contact movers and return equipment something you were able to do within 30 days.

Please note i do not work in billing but from observation most credits seem to take three billing cycles
The same 90 days before funds were taken.
Is your mail still going to temporary address like the bill, is the mail still being forwarded if no permanent address given.
Would help to explain lost check

I am sorry for the delay and inconvenience, but wished you had taken more pro active approach to avoid the current.
You should be working with billing department directly to avoid confusion. The store and its employees (may be ATT employees or contractor) would not be able to write a check or make any direct payment arrangements that is billing department that you should be dealing with direct to ensure your understanding.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Problem getting refund from UVerse

2 of 8 (301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 1:19:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Please include your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them.  

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Please include your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them.  

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 1:41:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

The funds were take from my account before the 90 days was up, I didn't cancel the service until after the point we were staying with our daughter, our move date was 3/27 cancelation date was after that.  I wasn't able to get to the boxes until the moving to new location had started which was in July, due to mail being forwarded to various addresses I hadn't gotten bills or statements until a number of weeks delay. 

As stated in the original post I did call who ever it is that does accounts payable, they were the ones that stated funds would be to me in 10 to 15 days from July 22 obviously it doesn't matter who or where you talk to someone, but at least in the store you know who to go back to and on the phone you end up with who ever, if you could please forward a valid phone number and email to someone of authority instead of a generic clerk, while you likely have this information please forward my original comment and this one directly to someone of authority and follow up by providing me with their name. 

Here is 1st claim #RES1307166627 where it stated 3-5 business days Incident2964157

dated 7/16

Here is 2nd claim #3055235 dated 8/12 

The funds were take from my account before the 90 days was up, I didn't cancel the service until after the point we were staying with our daughter, our move date was 3/27 cancelation date was after that.  I wasn't able to get to the boxes until the moving to new location had started which was in July, due to mail being forwarded to various addresses I hadn't gotten bills or statements until a number of weeks delay. 

As stated in the original post I did call who ever it is that does accounts payable, they were the ones that stated funds would be to me in 10 to 15 days from July 22 obviously it doesn't matter who or where you talk to someone, but at least in the store you know who to go back to and on the phone you end up with who ever, if you could please forward a valid phone number and email to someone of authority instead of a generic clerk, while you likely have this information please forward my original comment and this one directly to someone of authority and follow up by providing me with their name. 

Here is 1st claim #RES1307166627 where it stated 3-5 business days Incident2964157

dated 7/16

Here is 2nd claim #3055235 dated 8/12 

4 of 8 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 2:53:19 PM
(0)
Employee
I, like others volunteer of my time on my days off or nonworking hours to provide assistance based on experiences.
The only contact numbers i have and can provide are found here http://www.att.com/econtactus/callUs.jsp
Your bill would become due 21 days after cancel service if equipment not returned within that time. So you agree that you canceled services in April or May but coud nit return equipment, perhaps would have been better to not store equipment or not to cancel (continue to pay monthly fee until able to return). These are both water under the bridge observations and not meant to provoke. So the question becomes after canceling according to TOS that was agreed to when signed for service.

From http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp
Bill Inquiries and Refunds. If you believe you have been billed in error for the Services, please notify us within 60 days of the billing date by contacting Customer Service (1-800-288-2020). AT&T will not issue refunds or credits after the expiration of this 60-day period, except where required by law or regulation.

Return of Equipment. Upon termination of the Services, for whatever reason, you must return the Equipment, undamaged, within 21 calendar days to AT&T. If the Equipment is not returned within 21 calendar days, or is returned damaged, you will be charged for the value of the Equipment. We may retain any advance payment or deposit, or portion thereof that previously had not been refunded, if you fail to return the Equipment within this time period. If the Equipment is returned within 90 days of termination, any fees charged for the Equipment will be refunded (other than fees for damages). No refunds will be made for any Equipment returned more than 90 days after termination.
I, like others volunteer of my time on my days off or nonworking hours to provide assistance based on experiences.
The only contact numbers i have and can provide are found here http://www.att.com/econtactus/callUs.jsp
Your bill would become due 21 days after cancel service if equipment not returned within that time. So you agree that you canceled services in April or May but coud nit return equipment, perhaps would have been better to not store equipment or not to cancel (continue to pay monthly fee until able to return). These are both water under the bridge observations and not meant to provoke. So the question becomes after canceling according to TOS that was agreed to when signed for service.

From http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp
Bill Inquiries and Refunds. If you believe you have been billed in error for the Services, please notify us within 60 days of the billing date by contacting Customer Service (1-800-288-2020). AT&T will not issue refunds or credits after the expiration of this 60-day period, except where required by law or regulation.

Return of Equipment. Upon termination of the Services, for whatever reason, you must return the Equipment, undamaged, within 21 calendar days to AT&T. If the Equipment is not returned within 21 calendar days, or is returned damaged, you will be charged for the value of the Equipment. We may retain any advance payment or deposit, or portion thereof that previously had not been refunded, if you fail to return the Equipment within this time period. If the Equipment is returned within 90 days of termination, any fees charged for the Equipment will be refunded (other than fees for damages). No refunds will be made for any Equipment returned more than 90 days after termination.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 8 (267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 6:48:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

As I've already stated, contact Customer Care.

As I've already stated, contact Customer Care.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 8 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 1:43:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

I don't think you get it or you have never been moved by a moving company, you don't call and say hey I need to go into the containers you are storing until I find a home and look for 1 box in the 40 ft containers to return to at&t, in other words I had to wait until we found a home and had a place for the movers to take our belongings.  They were packed by movers in error...so circumstances weren't by any means what you implied.  Plus your attitude in your communication doesn't make this 70 year old elderly couple feel any better.  I can hardly wait for it or something like it to happen to you. But also 90 days had not elapsed when they hit our account for the $807, the accounts payable department stated that the refund check would be mailed in 10 to 15 days from the date of input into their system which was July 22, 2013.  So if you in your infinite wisdom don't have positive comments or directions to take, your time at AT&T would be better suited doing something else.  Oh and by the way I have changed the address to the new one on 3 seperate occasisons all before any check would have been written, so I would think that is a lack of communication withing AT&T.

I don't think you get it or you have never been moved by a moving company, you don't call and say hey I need to go into the containers you are storing until I find a home and look for 1 box in the 40 ft containers to return to at&t, in other words I had to wait until we found a home and had a place for the movers to take our belongings.  They were packed by movers in error...so circumstances weren't by any means what you implied.  Plus your attitude in your communication doesn't make this 70 year old elderly couple feel any better.  I can hardly wait for it or something like it to happen to you. But also 90 days had not elapsed when they hit our account for the $807, the accounts payable department stated that the refund check would be mailed in 10 to 15 days from the date of input into their system which was July 22, 2013.  So if you in your infinite wisdom don't have positive comments or directions to take, your time at AT&T would be better suited doing something else.  Oh and by the way I have changed the address to the new one on 3 seperate occasisons all before any check would have been written, so I would think that is a lack of communication withing AT&T.

7 of 8 (226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 7:53:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Have you sent a PM to Customer Care?  If not, do so. No one on these forums can access you account to help you. Please do yourself a favor and send them a PM using the link in my original post.

Have you sent a PM to Customer Care?  If not, do so. No one on these forums can access you account to help you. Please do yourself a favor and send them a PM using the link in my original post.

8 of 8 (210 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments