Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 6, 2013
7:38:11 PM
View profile
Problem connecting computer to HDTV
I have connected up my Samsung LED, HDTV to a new Lenova desktop computer (windows 8).  I have an HDMI cable connected to each.  I have two HDMT inputs on the TV.  The HDMI cable that is connected to the computer is not the one that is connected to the DVR box.  The problem is ... the only picture showing on the TV screen is the Lenova sign on desktop page.  The Internet page that is showing on my computer, does not appear on the TV screen.  I am puzzled as to why this is not working.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks.

PS.  The RV, the computer,HDTV and DVR are in the same room, close together.  I have UVerse TV and Internet.
I have connected up my Samsung LED, HDTV to a new Lenova desktop computer (windows 8).  I have an HDMI cable connected to each.  I have two HDMT inputs on the TV.  The HDMI cable that is connected to the computer is not the one that is connected to the DVR box.  The problem is ... the only picture showing on the TV screen is the Lenova sign on desktop page.  The Internet page that is showing on my computer, does not appear on the TV screen.  I am puzzled as to why this is not working.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks.

PS.  The RV, the computer,HDTV and DVR are in the same room, close together.  I have UVerse TV and Internet.

Problem connecting computer to HDTV

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 7:56:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
wmtheel - Since the splash screen displays you have physical continuity. You should be able to expect that it "just work". See if you can find any settings in the computer. My computer turns off after no activity - blank screen - Maybe yours is doing it too quickly. try constant typing or mouse activity.

Maybe the TV is not letting the computer know it is not a recording device. Therefore, the computer blocks content.
Try turning on the TV first, then the computer. Try the other HDMI port. Try another TV
wmtheel - Since the splash screen displays you have physical continuity. You should be able to expect that it "just work". See if you can find any settings in the computer. My computer turns off after no activity - blank screen - Maybe yours is doing it too quickly. try constant typing or mouse activity.

Maybe the TV is not letting the computer know it is not a recording device. Therefore, the computer blocks content.
Try turning on the TV first, then the computer. Try the other HDMI port. Try another TV
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Problem connecting computer to HDTV

2 of 6 (267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 8:47:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

aviewer,

Thanks for the response.  I finally have a picture on the HDTV, but my computer screen is blank and the only sound I get is through the computer speakers.  My computer monitor is connected to the computer with a VGA cable.  The monitor doesn't have an HDMI input.  I spoke to a Lenova CSR and she said that I needed a VGA splitter.  Your thoughts?  Thanks.

aviewer,

Thanks for the response.  I finally have a picture on the HDTV, but my computer screen is blank and the only sound I get is through the computer speakers.  My computer monitor is connected to the computer with a VGA cable.  The monitor doesn't have an HDMI input.  I spoke to a Lenova CSR and she said that I needed a VGA splitter.  Your thoughts?  Thanks.

3 of 6 (225 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 8:58:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:52:56 AM

wmtheel - Seems to me if they provide an HDMI output, they should help make it work. If you post your computer model I will see if I can find a manual. Also, moddel number for TV.

On the STB if the HDMI is plugged in it can take control of the other outputs. If the HDMI is connected but not on the other outputs are off. This could be what is blocking the VGA. But, I would really like to see the HDMI work. Have you tried it with the VGA not connected to the computer?

I believe you have ti find which device is causing the problem by swapping - LIke akt way to try the computer on a different TV and any way to try the TV on a different computer.

wmtheel - Seems to me if they provide an HDMI output, they should help make it work. If you post your computer model I will see if I can find a manual. Also, moddel number for TV.

On the STB if the HDMI is plugged in it can take control of the other outputs. If the HDMI is connected but not on the other outputs are off. This could be what is blocking the VGA. But, I would really like to see the HDMI work. Have you tried it with the VGA not connected to the computer?

I believe you have ti find which device is causing the problem by swapping - LIke akt way to try the computer on a different TV and any way to try the TV on a different computer.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 6:41:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

aviewer,

I finally spoke to someone at Lenova, and she accessed my computer and worked with it untl it appeared, correctly, on my HDTV screen.  Thank you for your help.  I really appreciate your staying with me on this.  Smiley Very Happy

aviewer,

I finally spoke to someone at Lenova, and she accessed my computer and worked with it untl it appeared, correctly, on my HDTV screen.  Thank you for your help.  I really appreciate your staying with me on this.  Smiley Very Happy

5 of 6 (205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 6:47:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
wmtheel - Glad to hear it. Hard to beat an expert with remote access. Thanks for letting me know you were successful.
wmtheel - Glad to hear it. Hard to beat an expert with remote access. Thanks for letting me know you were successful.

6 of 6 (202 Views)