Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 17, 2014
7:45:50 AM
View profile
Preview of U-verse New Guide and Interface
Edited by Hunter9k on Feb 17, 2014 at 7:46:58 AM

It appear that Ericsson's newly acquired Mediaroom, which powers the guide and menus for U-Verse has been busy working on a totally revamped IPTV interface. I'm putting the link below:

Ericsson's Mediaroom shows off next-gen IPTV interface

Ericsson Mediaroom redefines multiscreen platform

Hopefully AT&T will be updating U-Verse to the new software really soon. Mediaroom will be showcasing their new interface at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, starting February 24, 2014 (link). Some executives at AT&T will be attended the show as well.

It appear that Ericsson's newly acquired Mediaroom, which powers the guide and menus for U-Verse has been busy working on a totally revamped IPTV interface. I'm putting the link below:

Ericsson's Mediaroom shows off next-gen IPTV interface

Ericsson Mediaroom redefines multiscreen platform

Hopefully AT&T will be updating U-Verse to the new software really soon. Mediaroom will be showcasing their new interface at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, starting February 24, 2014 (link). Some executives at AT&T will be attended the show as well.

Preview of U-verse New Guide and Interface

[ Edited ]
15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 7:59:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Let's hope AT&T adopts this.  A fresh face to the interface would be welcome.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Let's hope AT&T adopts this.  A fresh face to the interface would be welcome.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Preview of U-verse New Guide and Interface

2 of 16 (2,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 8:42:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'm a little concerned that AT&T's current hardware platform may not be up to all that glitz.

I'm a little concerned that AT&T's current hardware platform may not be up to all that glitz.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 16 (2,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 8:44:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I wonder if this is why the "time zone bug" has been around for so long. Whoever is in charge of fixing it would rather spend resources developing an entirely new system... Hopefully it's faster than the current system...it still takes a bit too long to load stuff on the older boxes.

I wonder if this is why the "time zone bug" has been around for so long. Whoever is in charge of fixing it would rather spend resources developing an entirely new system... Hopefully it's faster than the current system...it still takes a bit too long to load stuff on the older boxes.

4 of 16 (2,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 6:42:12 PM
(0)
Explorer

Well I hope this will happen soon.

I just joined back UVerse after couple of years and was unpleasently surprised to see that User Interface of the DVR did not change at all.

I do not know if I am in the wrong demographic but I do not consider addition of apps as an enhancement to the user experience.

Right now XFinity is giving UVerse a tough time for all its limitations and honestly I have to admit that although I like to give my business to UVerse, those commercials are well deserved as UVerse is getting behind all major providers technology wise.

Cheers,

Alex

I just joined back UVerse after couple of years and was unpleasently surprised to see that User Interface of the DVR did not change at all.

I do not know if I am in the wrong demographic but I do not consider addition of apps as an enhancement to the user experience.

Right now XFinity is giving UVerse a tough time for all its limitations and honestly I have to admit that although I like to give my business to UVerse, those commercials are well deserved as UVerse is getting behind all major providers technology wise.

Cheers,

Alex

5 of 16 (2,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 7:18:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

alexandrepsf wrote:

Cheers,

Alex

Erm .... NO.

All those Comcast ads show is what a very small minority of their customer base is exposed to.  Especially given that any EXISTING customer who wants to get their "X-1" platform is put to the back of the line, charged an upgrade fee, and is pretty much bullied into taking a Triple Play even if they did not have (or want) home phone.

Comcast has ALWAYS played the game of "catch up."  Back in the old Ameritech days, Comcast scrambled to sign exclusive provider agreements in order to block Americast (now known as WOW!) from getting access to them since they were the first competition against Comcast's monopoly in the Midwest.  Even when Comcast absorbed the old AT&T Cable operations, they invested practically nothing into their OWN legacy areas, many of which they were the ones to actually LAY the cable in and operate from day one.  Their inherited AT&T areas, particularly the ones from MediaOne, were all upgraded back in 1999-2000 and were the first to receive the huge expansion of HD services -- and, naturally, the old Comcast legacy areas were the LAST because the headends were never upgraded anywhere along the way.

So now when they try to match what AT&T's had for years, they have the huge problem of legacy equipment.  AT&T uses, for the most part, ONE STB platform to deliver its product.  Comcast has to support greater than 10 pieces of customer equipment all on their network.  There are customers in Kabletown (the Consumerist's nickname for Comcast) still using such dated equipment as Motorola's DCT2000 -- get a good giggle by Googling that -- which is basically 15+ years old now.  Even customers looking to upgrade to DVR service face a good chance of getting a piece of equipment with a paltry 120GB drive as "standard" -- meaning whatever is currently available from the truck depot for techs or at an ever-dwindling customer service location.  And let's add in to the mix the whole Time Warner "merger", which runs on Scientific Atlanta equipment -- a totally different platform from Comcast's preferred Motorola-based system.

Comcast still lags versus U-verse in HD, and the only way they skirt that is by having VOD -- which they're not really touting too much, especially since D*TV went after them about that claim.  They've even lightened up on the picture quality-thing since AT&T has upgraded their encoders.  The vast majority in Kabletown use the i-Guide, which is still not available in HD (because of needing to support everyone with 15+ year old equipment, therefore it must stay in SD), and has only seen a few new features added in a good decade.  And unless you have a memory like an elephant, you're pretty much a slave to the iGuide's "HD Locator" of tuning to an SD channel (which you probably know the location of) and hitting select when the flip-bar says "Watch in HD" -- because while your USA may be on channel 50, the HD version could be on 396, and in yet a different location whether across town or across the state.

The vast majority of Comcast customers only have a 2-tuner DVR option as well, but for $20/month extra they can get what is essentially a VCR (without recording possibilities) in the other room to "use" their DVR.  That is, until you try to schedule a new recording or erase something you watched to free up space -- you have to go to the actual DVR to do those things.  Cutting edge there, eh?

But let's return to the X-1 rollout, shall we?  When Comcast started shouting about it, they were only making it available to NEW customers -- AND -- this is important: they HAD to sign up for Triple Play.  Talk about slapping your old customers in the face or, in fact, more like saluting them with the middle finger inches from their nose.  And then when those "old" customers start asking why they can't be included, offering them the olive branch but with the caveat of an extra charge, implying that they're some sort of burden.  Really?

About the ONLY thing Comcast can puff their chest out over when slamming AT&T is internet speeds.  But think for a minute:  It doesn't amount to a hill of beans on your end if you have the super-gazillion fast 100Mbps service if the website/other computer you're contacting is putting out only 25Mbps.  If say Netflix's servers get overloaded, they slow the speed down for everyone connecting, so that all users get at least *something*, rather than just crashing, right?  So does your sooopurr-fast connection make any difference at that point?  No.

If Comcast was so "cutting edge", why has it taken almost 10 years (since U-Verse started in around 2005) for them to copy it?  They've only constantly derided it, yet NOW they decide they want to get on the bandwagon?  Competition does some crazy things, doesn't it?

alexandrepsf wrote:

Cheers,

Alex

Erm .... NO.

All those Comcast ads show is what a very small minority of their customer base is exposed to.  Especially given that any EXISTING customer who wants to get their "X-1" platform is put to the back of the line, charged an upgrade fee, and is pretty much bullied into taking a Triple Play even if they did not have (or want) home phone.

Comcast has ALWAYS played the game of "catch up."  Back in the old Ameritech days, Comcast scrambled to sign exclusive provider agreements in order to block Americast (now known as WOW!) from getting access to them since they were the first competition against Comcast's monopoly in the Midwest.  Even when Comcast absorbed the old AT&T Cable operations, they invested practically nothing into their OWN legacy areas, many of which they were the ones to actually LAY the cable in and operate from day one.  Their inherited AT&T areas, particularly the ones from MediaOne, were all upgraded back in 1999-2000 and were the first to receive the huge expansion of HD services -- and, naturally, the old Comcast legacy areas were the LAST because the headends were never upgraded anywhere along the way.

So now when they try to match what AT&T's had for years, they have the huge problem of legacy equipment.  AT&T uses, for the most part, ONE STB platform to deliver its product.  Comcast has to support greater than 10 pieces of customer equipment all on their network.  There are customers in Kabletown (the Consumerist's nickname for Comcast) still using such dated equipment as Motorola's DCT2000 -- get a good giggle by Googling that -- which is basically 15+ years old now.  Even customers looking to upgrade to DVR service face a good chance of getting a piece of equipment with a paltry 120GB drive as "standard" -- meaning whatever is currently available from the truck depot for techs or at an ever-dwindling customer service location.  And let's add in to the mix the whole Time Warner "merger", which runs on Scientific Atlanta equipment -- a totally different platform from Comcast's preferred Motorola-based system.

Comcast still lags versus U-verse in HD, and the only way they skirt that is by having VOD -- which they're not really touting too much, especially since D*TV went after them about that claim.  They've even lightened up on the picture quality-thing since AT&T has upgraded their encoders.  The vast majority in Kabletown use the i-Guide, which is still not available in HD (because of needing to support everyone with 15+ year old equipment, therefore it must stay in SD), and has only seen a few new features added in a good decade.  And unless you have a memory like an elephant, you're pretty much a slave to the iGuide's "HD Locator" of tuning to an SD channel (which you probably know the location of) and hitting select when the flip-bar says "Watch in HD" -- because while your USA may be on channel 50, the HD version could be on 396, and in yet a different location whether across town or across the state.

The vast majority of Comcast customers only have a 2-tuner DVR option as well, but for $20/month extra they can get what is essentially a VCR (without recording possibilities) in the other room to "use" their DVR.  That is, until you try to schedule a new recording or erase something you watched to free up space -- you have to go to the actual DVR to do those things.  Cutting edge there, eh?

But let's return to the X-1 rollout, shall we?  When Comcast started shouting about it, they were only making it available to NEW customers -- AND -- this is important: they HAD to sign up for Triple Play.  Talk about slapping your old customers in the face or, in fact, more like saluting them with the middle finger inches from their nose.  And then when those "old" customers start asking why they can't be included, offering them the olive branch but with the caveat of an extra charge, implying that they're some sort of burden.  Really?

About the ONLY thing Comcast can puff their chest out over when slamming AT&T is internet speeds.  But think for a minute:  It doesn't amount to a hill of beans on your end if you have the super-gazillion fast 100Mbps service if the website/other computer you're contacting is putting out only 25Mbps.  If say Netflix's servers get overloaded, they slow the speed down for everyone connecting, so that all users get at least *something*, rather than just crashing, right?  So does your sooopurr-fast connection make any difference at that point?  No.

If Comcast was so "cutting edge", why has it taken almost 10 years (since U-Verse started in around 2005) for them to copy it?  They've only constantly derided it, yet NOW they decide they want to get on the bandwagon?  Competition does some crazy things, doesn't it?

6 of 16 (2,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 1:05:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Apr 9, 2014 at 9:22:23 PM

alexandrepsf wrote:

Cheers,

Alex

First, let me reply to the OP and original gist of this thread.  That is an Ericsson preview of Mediaroom.  NOT necessarily a U-Verse implementation.  I heard some inside info, a few weeks back about Mediaroom.  U-Verse uses a customised version that AT&T engineers have worked over. 

So, if Ericsson makes a completely new Mediaroom, U-Verse may not be able to use it. 

The GUI could use some improvements.  But at what costs?  Recall when they changed VoD to a more Netflix-esque look?  People whined to no end - even after telling them how to go back to "list view."

Now, good ol' Xfinity (not XFinity but hey, we're not splitting hairs, right?).  Even though they are calling it Xfinity, it's still Comcast.  Remember, you can put lipstick on a pig but in the end, she;s just a pig.  The same basic, blah Comcast GUI that I had, when I left in 2008.  AND those commercials.  If one falls for those, one might fall for anything.  One commercial "chided" AT&T for their Wireless TV boxes.  Who needs flexibility, right?  And another mentioned "nighttime internet slow downs."  That is all I had with Comcast: 6 Mb down until 5 PM, then 3 or less from 5 til midnight.  I'm consistently 16-18 Mb, 24/7 with U-Verse. 

Until Comcast got their "almost" THDVR, you could only record two things.  If you want more, you pay for them but could not watch on another box. Good luck with Comcast.  Did you hear that they are once again, the worst company in America?

alexandrepsf wrote:

Cheers,

Alex

First, let me reply to the OP and original gist of this thread.  That is an Ericsson preview of Mediaroom.  NOT necessarily a U-Verse implementation.  I heard some inside info, a few weeks back about Mediaroom.  U-Verse uses a customised version that AT&T engineers have worked over. 

So, if Ericsson makes a completely new Mediaroom, U-Verse may not be able to use it. 

The GUI could use some improvements.  But at what costs?  Recall when they changed VoD to a more Netflix-esque look?  People whined to no end - even after telling them how to go back to "list view."

Now, good ol' Xfinity (not XFinity but hey, we're not splitting hairs, right?).  Even though they are calling it Xfinity, it's still Comcast.  Remember, you can put lipstick on a pig but in the end, she;s just a pig.  The same basic, blah Comcast GUI that I had, when I left in 2008.  AND those commercials.  If one falls for those, one might fall for anything.  One commercial "chided" AT&T for their Wireless TV boxes.  Who needs flexibility, right?  And another mentioned "nighttime internet slow downs."  That is all I had with Comcast: 6 Mb down until 5 PM, then 3 or less from 5 til midnight.  I'm consistently 16-18 Mb, 24/7 with U-Verse. 

Until Comcast got their "almost" THDVR, you could only record two things.  If you want more, you pay for them but could not watch on another box. Good luck with Comcast.  Did you hear that they are once again, the worst company in America?

[ Edited ]
7 of 16 (1,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 2:20:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Charter has ripped a page from Comcast's playbook and have now branded their services "Charter Spectrum."

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but there's a reason that your rear end is so far from your nose.

Charter has ripped a page from Comcast's playbook and have now branded their services "Charter Spectrum."

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but there's a reason that your rear end is so far from your nose.

8 of 16 (1,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 6:19:43 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by alexandrepsf on Apr 9, 2014 at 6:36:33 PM

I think there is a misunderstanding in my statement. I am not talking about what Comcast does, I do not care to be honest. It was just an example.

I am talking about what Uverse is not doing. OK forget Comcast, ALL major TV providers (DirecTV, Dish, yep Comcast) enhanced their user experience during last 2 years, catching up with available technologies. I am hoping that UVerse is thinking of the same. It was hard to leave and come back after 2 years and see that old bugs such as Timezone problem or other problems such as unsufficient details in guide are still there. By the way, before using the excuse that Guide contents are provided by a third party provider, UVerse can simply change provider to give better information to its customers.

Anyways, I did not think my statement will lit a fire. I was just hoping that UVerse is planning to catch up with technology and give us better User Experience. I do not think that getting more Apps could be called as an enhancement.

Cheers,

Alex

I think there is a misunderstanding in my statement. I am not talking about what Comcast does, I do not care to be honest. It was just an example.

I am talking about what Uverse is not doing. OK forget Comcast, ALL major TV providers (DirecTV, Dish, yep Comcast) enhanced their user experience during last 2 years, catching up with available technologies. I am hoping that UVerse is thinking of the same. It was hard to leave and come back after 2 years and see that old bugs such as Timezone problem or other problems such as unsufficient details in guide are still there. By the way, before using the excuse that Guide contents are provided by a third party provider, UVerse can simply change provider to give better information to its customers.

Anyways, I did not think my statement will lit a fire. I was just hoping that UVerse is planning to catch up with technology and give us better User Experience. I do not think that getting more Apps could be called as an enhancement.

Cheers,

Alex

[ Edited ]
9 of 16 (1,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 6:42:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

alexandrepsf wrote:

Cheers,

Alex

Please note the highlighted sections above, with your statement of "catching up with available technologies" being key.

The cable companies, and to a lesser extent, satellite companies, have constantly bashed "the phone company" (AT&T, Verizon, et al) products as being inferior to *their* product -- that THEY are the ones on the cutting edge.  And so, as you characterize it, within the past two years, they are *finally* catching up and actually putting some "WOW" into what customers see.  My point is: They've talked big and tough for OVER TEN YEARS (since AT&T didn't obviously just come up with this Uverse idea one day in 2005 and decided to turn it on next day), and they're supposed to be commended suddenly?  I would think the more appropriate reaction if you were one of their bill payers would be: IT'S ABOUT TIME.

What you need to consider is this:  While the cablers are all proud of themselves right now with their nose held high, their "advancements" are NOT available to ALL of their customers.  Period, full stop, end of story.  Even with satellite, depending on area, you could need a super-sized dish with 3 LNBs attached just to get all of their programming -- in some cases you may need TWO dishes.  Sure, AT&T does have the distance issue, with some customers not being able to record as many programs as others.  BUT, every customer in each AT&T footprint area can receive the same Uverse product, with the same equipment -- equipment which has practically not changed over time.  (Remember, we're talking about the customer-end.)

When you put *their* "advancements" in perspective with time, you *are* correct in that they are FINALLY "catching up."  I'm unsure how that somehow reflects badly on AT&T and the Uverse product.

As to the time-zone and other "bugs", you need to remember that contracts are involved and AT&T cannot, on a whim, just switch between providers.  Microsoft pretty much put AT&T's "support" to the end of their priority list, and in a conversation I had recently with an AT&T person "in-the-know", it took AT&T well over SIX MONTHS of badgering for them to get Microsoft to solve the problems in the last update that went out.  Now, if you've ever been touched by a Microsoft product, would you find this a surprise?  And now that the sale of MediaRoom has been finalized, can you see why M$ was brushing off AT&T's support needs?

If it's taken all these years for the cablers to harness new technology, I'm fairly confident that AT&T will move ahead of them once again with this Ericsson involvement.  They've been out front consistently, and that's something the others cannot say.

alexandrepsf wrote:

Cheers,

Alex

Please note the highlighted sections above, with your statement of "catching up with available technologies" being key.

The cable companies, and to a lesser extent, satellite companies, have constantly bashed "the phone company" (AT&T, Verizon, et al) products as being inferior to *their* product -- that THEY are the ones on the cutting edge.  And so, as you characterize it, within the past two years, they are *finally* catching up and actually putting some "WOW" into what customers see.  My point is: They've talked big and tough for OVER TEN YEARS (since AT&T didn't obviously just come up with this Uverse idea one day in 2005 and decided to turn it on next day), and they're supposed to be commended suddenly?  I would think the more appropriate reaction if you were one of their bill payers would be: IT'S ABOUT TIME.

What you need to consider is this:  While the cablers are all proud of themselves right now with their nose held high, their "advancements" are NOT available to ALL of their customers.  Period, full stop, end of story.  Even with satellite, depending on area, you could need a super-sized dish with 3 LNBs attached just to get all of their programming -- in some cases you may need TWO dishes.  Sure, AT&T does have the distance issue, with some customers not being able to record as many programs as others.  BUT, every customer in each AT&T footprint area can receive the same Uverse product, with the same equipment -- equipment which has practically not changed over time.  (Remember, we're talking about the customer-end.)

When you put *their* "advancements" in perspective with time, you *are* correct in that they are FINALLY "catching up."  I'm unsure how that somehow reflects badly on AT&T and the Uverse product.

As to the time-zone and other "bugs", you need to remember that contracts are involved and AT&T cannot, on a whim, just switch between providers.  Microsoft pretty much put AT&T's "support" to the end of their priority list, and in a conversation I had recently with an AT&T person "in-the-know", it took AT&T well over SIX MONTHS of badgering for them to get Microsoft to solve the problems in the last update that went out.  Now, if you've ever been touched by a Microsoft product, would you find this a surprise?  And now that the sale of MediaRoom has been finalized, can you see why M$ was brushing off AT&T's support needs?

If it's taken all these years for the cablers to harness new technology, I'm fairly confident that AT&T will move ahead of them once again with this Ericsson involvement.  They've been out front consistently, and that's something the others cannot say.

10 of 16 (1,852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 10:32:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Apr 10, 2014 at 10:33:57 PM

alexandrepsf wrote:

Cheers,

Alex

Alex your statement didn't light a fire but regardless if it is Comcast, TWC, Cox, FIoS or whomever, give some examples where these others have leapt ahead?  Yes, most now have some sort of "almost" THDVR but they require more $ for required equipmrnt and usually aren't as robust as AT&T's THDVR. The Hopper sounds cool as does the X1 but stillclose to AT&T's technology.   Again, I do agree that the GUI could use some sprucing up but Comcast's looks like it did back in 2006.

alexandrepsf wrote:

Cheers,

Alex

Alex your statement didn't light a fire but regardless if it is Comcast, TWC, Cox, FIoS or whomever, give some examples where these others have leapt ahead?  Yes, most now have some sort of "almost" THDVR but they require more $ for required equipmrnt and usually aren't as robust as AT&T's THDVR. The Hopper sounds cool as does the X1 but stillclose to AT&T's technology.   Again, I do agree that the GUI could use some sprucing up but Comcast's looks like it did back in 2006.

[ Edited ]
11 of 16 (1,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 3:45:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

Alex

What's cool about the Hopper, it has built in Slingbox.  Love my Slingbox and to have not had to pay for it separately because it was built into my DVR.......

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

dhascall wrote:

Alex

What's cool about the Hopper, it has built in Slingbox.  Love my Slingbox and to have not had to pay for it separately because it was built into my DVR.......

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

12 of 16 (1,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 10:55:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Alex

More streams.  Records all broadcast Primetime.  A few years ahead of UV, IMHO.  Now would I ever get a DBS system?  No. Smiley Happy

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Alex

More streams.  Records all broadcast Primetime.  A few years ahead of UV, IMHO.  Now would I ever get a DBS system?  No. Smiley Happy

13 of 16 (1,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 4:30:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

It really does not have more streams.  There are less actually.  During non-prime time hours, the Hopper limits you to 3 streams.  During primetime hours, you can elect to use one of the 3 streams to automatically record all of the 4 primetime network programs only.  Thus, during that time you could be recording 6 programs at once:  4 from each of the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox), and 2 channels of your own choosing.  It's nice if you are watch the primetime networks, but if you are not, you can't use those 4 additional recording opportunities to choose other channels to record.

dhascall wrote:

It really does not have more streams.  There are less actually.  During non-prime time hours, the Hopper limits you to 3 streams.  During primetime hours, you can elect to use one of the 3 streams to automatically record all of the 4 primetime network programs only.  Thus, during that time you could be recording 6 programs at once:  4 from each of the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox), and 2 channels of your own choosing.  It's nice if you are watch the primetime networks, but if you are not, you can't use those 4 additional recording opportunities to choose other channels to record.

14 of 16 (1,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 6:56:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

I think a new menu guide is coming once they changed the VOD menu its just a matter of time i hope the new look will have channel logo's and recomendations of shows and movies .

I think a new menu guide is coming once they changed the VOD menu its just a matter of time i hope the new look will have channel logo's and recomendations of shows and movies .

15 of 16 (1,666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2014 7:26:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Apr 13, 2014 at 7:28:32 PM

rt123 wrote:

If you are talking about the guide itself - not this year.  They have told me that they can't possibly use network icons on the Guide that is on the boxes.  Their reasoning is that they are too many stations.  I counter that Fox 59 Indianapolis and Fox 10 Mobile, AL could both use a standard "Fox" network icon.  They use icons on the apps and the online guide / web remote, so I do not 100% buy their reluctance.  I will say that they only do one software release per year.  Most business do 2-4.

One thing they are changing is font type to differentiate certain programs.

rt123 wrote:

If you are talking about the guide itself - not this year.  They have told me that they can't possibly use network icons on the Guide that is on the boxes.  Their reasoning is that they are too many stations.  I counter that Fox 59 Indianapolis and Fox 10 Mobile, AL could both use a standard "Fox" network icon.  They use icons on the apps and the online guide / web remote, so I do not 100% buy their reluctance.  I will say that they only do one software release per year.  Most business do 2-4.

One thing they are changing is font type to differentiate certain programs.

[ Edited ]
16 of 16 (1,585 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments