Press OK and hints pop up every morning

Tutor

Press OK and hints pop up every morning

Every Morning it seems and sometimes at other times during the day my TV watching is interrupted and the "hint" message pops up and I have to press OK to get back to my TV watching or just the "press OK" to watch TV message.  What is causing this and how can I get it to stop?

Message 1 of 7 (656 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Press OK and hints pop up every morning

Is this happening while you are watching live TV?  Is it happening when you either pause live TV or a recording?

This does happen to me quite often since I tend to pause live TV and or recordings I'm watching when I either get a phone call, need to grab a snack, let the dog out, or whatever the reason.  Think of it more as a screen saver because that's really what it is.  It does this so you don't get screen burn in from the picture you paused.  Some older TV's, mainly plasma's, were very susceptible to screen burn.  The tips showing were released in the last update.  It used to just say "press ok to watch TV" and that would float around to different positions on the screen.

I have never had this issue while just watching a program normally.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (656 Views)
Tutor

No pause, just watching.  It mostly happens in the morning, turn on TV around  6am, and shortly after 7 it interrupts the show I'm watching and have to press OK.  Sometimes if I fall asleep at night with the TV will wake up in the morning and it will have the hints screen showing.

Message 3 of 7 (656 Views)
ACE - Master

Falling asleep and then waking up to the ok screen is expected behavior.  The other one is not if you are watching live TV.

What I would recommend is to reset your U-verse system.  Unplug all of your receivers from power.  Find the main AT&T router and unplug that.  Plug it back in and let it come up completely.  Then plug in the DVR and let it come up completely, then plug in the rest of the receivers.

See how it behaves after doing that.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7 (656 Views)
Tutor

I think it is just the screen saver kicking in. At night when I go to sleep I set the TV to go off in about 30 minutes but the uverse box stays on through the night so when I wake up the TV is off but the Uverse box is still on and hits the self timer shortly thereafter.

Reading there is no way to disable the timer and going into sleep mode on the Uverse box.

Message 5 of 7 (656 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Your TV is turning off but your box is still on so yes, the screen saver kicks in.

Message 6 of 7 (656 Views)
ACE - Master

As skeeterintexas mentioned, turning off the TV but not the U-verse box will in fact cause the screen saver to become active after 7 to 8 hours.  It's so the equipment meets EPA Energy Star requirements and as I mentioned above to prevent burn in.

Message 7 of 7 (656 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support