Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 10, 2013
9:23:21 AM
View profile
Power Supply

I am having problem with the power to my gateway modem on the exterior of my house. According to the technicians it is dropping power intermittently.  They have replaced both the power supply with the battery backup and the modem a number of times. They then said it was a problem with the house electrical wiring. They refused to send a service technician to the house until an electrician checked the wiring.

The electrician first checked the grounding and found no problem. The then put a meter on the electrical system to monitor the voltage. This was done at the same time the modem was working. The modem lost power for a fraction of a section causing it to need to reboot. When this took place there was no drop in the voltage on that circuit. The electrician then took and plugged the power supply for the modem into the electrical service for the house next door. While being supplied with electricity from the neighbor’s house the modem again lost power. This is a completely different source of power. The modem was then made to run on the battery backup with there being no connection to other sources of power. Again the modem indicated it lost power.

Why is the modem losing power? Is there a problem with the power supply?

I am having problem with the power to my gateway modem on the exterior of my house. According to the technicians it is dropping power intermittently.  They have replaced both the power supply with the battery backup and the modem a number of times. They then said it was a problem with the house electrical wiring. They refused to send a service technician to the house until an electrician checked the wiring.

The electrician first checked the grounding and found no problem. The then put a meter on the electrical system to monitor the voltage. This was done at the same time the modem was working. The modem lost power for a fraction of a section causing it to need to reboot. When this took place there was no drop in the voltage on that circuit. The electrician then took and plugged the power supply for the modem into the electrical service for the house next door. While being supplied with electricity from the neighbor’s house the modem again lost power. This is a completely different source of power. The modem was then made to run on the battery backup with there being no connection to other sources of power. Again the modem indicated it lost power.

Why is the modem losing power? Is there a problem with the power supply?

Power Supply

5 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 7:20:04 PM
(0)
Professor
Bad unit. File a ticket with tech services, and let them know exactly what you posted in this post, and hopefully the unit will get replaced.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Re: Power Supply

2 of 6 (765 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2013 6:57:11 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I agree, it sounds like the unit needs to be replaced. You can call in, as gregzoll_1 suggested, or send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I agree, it sounds like the unit needs to be replaced. You can call in, as gregzoll_1 suggested, or send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 6 (753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 8:17:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
I too, am still having problems with my power supply (Belkin BU3DC000-12v) for my U-verse gateway. In January 2013 I sent a query to U-verse support and was advised to contact Belkin for support. I have contacted Belkin and went through the various self checks with no results. I did find the problem with the unit is temperature related and fails when the temperature falls below 60F degrees or above 85F degrees. It is not battery related but the power supply unit itself. This is the power supply providing power to the U-verse Gateway running the U-verse system. There seems to be no policy for replacing faulty equipment running the heart of the system.
I too, am still having problems with my power supply (Belkin BU3DC000-12v) for my U-verse gateway. In January 2013 I sent a query to U-verse support and was advised to contact Belkin for support. I have contacted Belkin and went through the various self checks with no results. I did find the problem with the unit is temperature related and fails when the temperature falls below 60F degrees or above 85F degrees. It is not battery related but the power supply unit itself. This is the power supply providing power to the U-verse Gateway running the U-verse system. There seems to be no policy for replacing faulty equipment running the heart of the system.

4 of 6 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 12:01:49 PM
(0)
Expert

Coplinb wrote:

Click on the hyperlink in my sig and you will be taken to the profile of AT&T Customer Care.  They are an escalation team that can help you get this resolved.  Send them a PM with your info and concern and they will be in touch with you via PM.  Watch the blue envelope at the top of the forum page for message notification.

Coplinb wrote:

Click on the hyperlink in my sig and you will be taken to the profile of AT&T Customer Care.  They are an escalation team that can help you get this resolved.  Send them a PM with your info and concern and they will be in touch with you via PM.  Watch the blue envelope at the top of the forum page for message notification.

5 of 6 (411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 1:45:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Coplinb wrote:

The first Belkin battery back-up is provided to you at no charge but it is not an AT&T part.  When it fails, it is a customer item to replace.  Do you have U-Voice?  My Belkin started acting up, i.e., intermitten faults.  I do not have U-Voice, so I found an AT&T truck and told my story and the guy gave me a standard issue Power Supply (not a back up Belkin) and I simpy took the Belkin out of service.  If you have U-Voice, you will need a backup battery in case of a power failure (but most folks ahve cordless phones, which need AC, anyway).

Coplinb wrote:

The first Belkin battery back-up is provided to you at no charge but it is not an AT&T part.  When it fails, it is a customer item to replace.  Do you have U-Voice?  My Belkin started acting up, i.e., intermitten faults.  I do not have U-Voice, so I found an AT&T truck and told my story and the guy gave me a standard issue Power Supply (not a back up Belkin) and I simpy took the Belkin out of service.  If you have U-Voice, you will need a backup battery in case of a power failure (but most folks ahve cordless phones, which need AC, anyway).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 6 (349 Views)