Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 22, 2011
1:15:13 PM
View profile
Possible To Block Certain Boxes From Recording?

Hello, I've had U-Verse for a long time, pretty happy with the service. I share my u-verse service here at home with my parents and younger sisters. My sister unfortunately loves to record about 5 shows per day, therefore deleting all of the content my parents and I record. Simple communication isn't working. So is there a way to prevent her box from being able to record content? Thanks for any help!

Hello, I've had U-Verse for a long time, pretty happy with the service. I share my u-verse service here at home with my parents and younger sisters. My sister unfortunately loves to record about 5 shows per day, therefore deleting all of the content my parents and I record. Simple communication isn't working. So is there a way to prevent her box from being able to record content? Thanks for any help!

Possible To Block Certain Boxes From Recording?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 3:12:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Other than taking away her TV privileges for noncompliance there is no way to eliminate the ability to record a program from a particular STB.

Is she deleting other programs from the DVR?

Other than taking away her TV privileges for noncompliance there is no way to eliminate the ability to record a program from a particular STB.

Is she deleting other programs from the DVR?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Possible To Block Certain Boxes From Recording?

2 of 11 (1,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 8:58:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes, the DVR eventually reaches its capacity and her shows delete ours. It's hard to mark everything to have "Don't Delete when needed" with business schedules.

Yes, the DVR eventually reaches its capacity and her shows delete ours. It's hard to mark everything to have "Don't Delete when needed" with business schedules.

3 of 11 (1,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 9:10:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If your recordings are setup as series recordings, you can change the KEEP parameter on those series recordings to All episodes until I erase.  All recordings for those series would not be erased when space is needed.

If your recordings are setup as series recordings, you can change the KEEP parameter on those series recordings to All episodes until I erase.  All recordings for those series would not be erased when space is needed.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (1,948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 9:41:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sanctus wrote:

You could ask your sister to pay the upgrade charge for a higher capacity DVR and to watch / delete her recordings, ASAP.

Sanctus wrote:

You could ask your sister to pay the upgrade charge for a higher capacity DVR and to watch / delete her recordings, ASAP.

5 of 11 (1,906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 10:33:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

I wish there was a way to control who can record and who can't.  I seem to have the same problem.  I have my son and his girlfriend living here and though I have told them numerous times not to record, they continually do so.  They will

record so many shows at a time it actually slows my internet speed down to a "dial up" feeling.  I go look at who is

recording because they claim they aren't and voila, 2% storage is available.  I then have to sit there and delete all their recordings, have another fight with them, and the cycle continues.   It would be nice if there was a password to record shows.

I wish there was a way to control who can record and who can't.  I seem to have the same problem.  I have my son and his girlfriend living here and though I have told them numerous times not to record, they continually do so.  They will

record so many shows at a time it actually slows my internet speed down to a "dial up" feeling.  I go look at who is

recording because they claim they aren't and voila, 2% storage is available.  I then have to sit there and delete all their recordings, have another fight with them, and the cycle continues.   It would be nice if there was a password to record shows.

6 of 11 (1,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 11:54:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

searchingforanswers wrote:

At this time the only way to prevent recordings is to disconnect the STB.  But then that could cause another non-technical issue.

searchingforanswers wrote:

At this time the only way to prevent recordings is to disconnect the STB.  But then that could cause another non-technical issue.

7 of 11 (1,354 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 12:04:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

As usual when someone requests a "unique" feature, like password requirements for recording shows, my question is do any other TV providers (Comcast, TWC, Dish and so on) offer such a feature?  There are some GREAT suggestions out there and many I would LOVE to see but I do not see the need for this one.  Just my 2 cents.

As usual when someone requests a "unique" feature, like password requirements for recording shows, my question is do any other TV providers (Comcast, TWC, Dish and so on) offer such a feature?  There are some GREAT suggestions out there and many I would LOVE to see but I do not see the need for this one.  Just my 2 cents.

8 of 11 (1,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 7:12:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Jul 10, 2013 at 7:13:40 PM

I can see the usefulness of it, but I would prioritize it pretty low, were I in charge of U-verse/Mediaroom feature development.

Actually, I think I'd give you the option of having each STB have a separate recording list, with the ability to assign each one a quota.  That would address several similar requests that I've seen.  I would use that.

I can see the usefulness of it, but I would prioritize it pretty low, were I in charge of U-verse/Mediaroom feature development.

Actually, I think I'd give you the option of having each STB have a separate recording list, with the ability to assign each one a quota.  That would address several similar requests that I've seen.  I would use that.

[ Edited ]
9 of 11 (1,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 4:56:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

JefferMC wrote:

Would that not defeat the purpose of a total home DVR system as opposed to having a provider who uses individual DVR's connected to a single TV?

JefferMC wrote:

Would that not defeat the purpose of a total home DVR system as opposed to having a provider who uses individual DVR's connected to a single TV?

10 of 11 (1,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 6:14:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'd make it an OPTION, not a REQUIREMENT.  It would be better to have actual users who can sign in and see their personalized list between different boxes, but I'm afraid that's too complicated for the average technical support person to assist subscribers with.

I'd make it an OPTION, not a REQUIREMENT.  It would be better to have actual users who can sign in and see their personalized list between different boxes, but I'm afraid that's too complicated for the average technical support person to assist subscribers with.

11 of 11 (1,230 Views)