Port Forwarding on the 3801HGV: An exercise in futility? [Please help]

Contributor

Port Forwarding on the 3801HGV: An exercise in futility? [Please help]

Good evening everyone,

For some time now I have been attempting to open a port on the 2Wire 3801HGV to no avail. I have read detailed instructions here on the forums, watched youtube videos, and followed the guide for port forwarding on AT&Ts support website here: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB413180&cv=812#fbid=stZAVDiLw7N. After failing time and again to get the port to open I called U-Verse technical support and asked for assistance only to be told by the technician that everything looked like it has been set up correctly and then offered to forward my call to a level 2 technician which turned out to be a paid service. I refused the service and ended the call. I have tried to set up this same port on three separate PCs using Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8. I have exhausted every resource I can think of other than reaching out to the community and getting assistance first hand. So please help me.

This is what I have done so far. I have logged into the router, set up my PC with a static IP address 192.168.1.70. I then went to the firewall settings, chose my device, defined a new application, and forwarded the port to my PC. The status page under the firewall tab shows my device and shows the application under allowed applications. So far so good. Then I test the port with any number of port checker tools and it shows that it is closed. I cannot get common ports such as port 80 (http) to show as being open either. As a last ditch effort I attempted to set the router to dmz plus mode but the ports are still showed as being closed. What am I missing? 

I've reached the point where I'm either going to have to give up on opening this port or cancel my services and move on to another company. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 5 (632 Views)
Expert

Re: Port Forwarding on the 3801HGV: An exercise in futility? [Please help]

Common misconceptions with port checker tools:

1. The application that you're going to run that listens on that port must be running. If the application isn't running, there is nothing to connect to, so the port checker tool will tell you the port is closed.

2. Only TCP ports can be checked. Port checker tools will always fail on UDP ports.

Message 2 of 5 (627 Views)
Mentor

Did you reboot the gateway after assigning the pinhole and saving?

Message 3 of 5 (544 Views)
Teacher

I'm Not a tech savvy guy,but ATT wants to charge me $50 to open Media Ports for CCTV Security email pics.I had some people try,but ONLY ATT can do it ! $$$$$$$
Message 4 of 5 (457 Views)
Teacher

UPnP CCTV Forwarding to smartphone ,I meant.
Message 5 of 5 (453 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.