Ask a question

Posted Jan 3, 2014
    3:55:28 PM
    Pop mail works on my win7 desktop and not my win8 tablet Both have the same settings

Why will att pop mail work on my win7 desktop and not my win8 tablet? All settings in Outlook are the same but the ATT mail server does not reconize the tablet's communication.  ATT tech service personel can't or don't want to help me on this issue ( previous problem on the desktop). Spent an hour on the phone with one tech only  to have her send me to their pay folks.  Spent another session with another tech who just transfered me to Microsoft.  Spent time with the third tech and was cut off without any call back.  Spent time with the fourth tech who tried to help and did help a little.  Then I was sent to another who offered the pay service again.  Finally, I got my desktop operating correctly mostly because of my own efforts but, later found out I had another problem with my tablet.  Called about this problem and I got the "ol heave ho" and was instructed call their pay tech service because ATT's tech di not have the expertise to handle my problem.  Mightly disappointed in ATT's tech service's stated capabilities.  Any help out from the community with my technical problem? Any ATT person out there that has enough pride in ATT to help with my tech problem or a new ATT customer who is surprised and disappointed with who he may have got in bed with for a year?  Look forward to hearing from someone who can and is willing to help.

Pop mail works on my win7 desktop and not my win8 tablet Both have the same settings

6 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (6)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2014 8:22:39 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

According to this Win8 does not support POP mail?  http://www.pcworld.com/article/2023005/answer-line-how-do-i-get-pop-email-in-windows-8.html.  Do you have a mail client loaded on the Win8 machine?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Pop mail works on my win7 desktop and not my win8 tablet Both have the same settings

2 of 7 (661 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2014 8:29:41 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Win 8 does support pop mail.  I have been using it for almost a year.  I just cannot get the ATT mail server to reconize my ID and/or password.  ATT tech can't help either.

Re: Pop mail works on my win7 desktop and not my win8 tablet Both have the same settings

3 of 7 (637 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2014 8:31:21 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I use Outlook for pop mail.

4 of 7 (636 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 5, 2014 5:15:54 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

I was able to locate this for you.  See if it helps:

OUTLOOK EMAIL CLIENT Set-up for WINDOWS 7 or 8.

1.  Using the FILE tab in Outlook, select Add an Account or Account Settings.

2.  Add New Account - Auto Account Set-up.    Instead of using the Auto Select button, select the third option:

Manually configure settings or additional server types option.

Outlook-set-up-att-1.jpg

3.  Select the first option:  Internet E-mail.

4.  Internet E-Mail Settings.

Outlook-set-up-att-2.jpg

User Information

Your Name:    Type in the name you want to use

E-Mail Address:    type in AT&T email address - yourname@att.net      

Server Information

Account Type:    POP3

Incoming mail server:    inbound.att.net

Outgoing mail server:   outbound.att.net

Logon Information

User Name:   Your full AT&T email address

Password:   enter your AT&T password

Select "More Settings... option on the right (SMTP)

5.   Internet E-mail Settings.

Outlook-set-up-att-3.jpg

Select the "Outgoing Server" tab.

Check the box -- "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication

Select --  "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server

Outlook-set-up-att-4.jpg

Go to the "Advanced"  tab. 

Under Server Port Numbers:

Incoming Server (POP3):   995

Click the box -- " My server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)

Outgoing server (SMTP):L  465

Use the following type of encrypted connection - SSL

Click "OK"  to close Internet Email Settings

6.  Click Next.  The computer will check the connection and then send a test email.   If the test works, you are set to go.

7.  Click Finish.  Your Outlook should be working just fine.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (609 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 11, 2014 5:36:12 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  I all that you suggested and it did not work.  What discovered, purely by accident, was I needed to go to att-yaoo mail site and log on with each user ID. After this gyration, every ID worked well. Thanks 

6 of 7 (559 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 23, 2014 3:00:46 PM
    (0)
    Community Support

Hi wood-worker,

Thank you for posting back and letting us know what resolved the issue. I am glad you got everything working.

Also, if you encounter any issues with your service or equipment in the future, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 7 (390 Views)