Pixelation on One Box Only

Contributor

Pixelation on One Box Only

(Sorry, seemd to have popsted the original in wrong forum...)

Issue started within the last month or so and has gotten progressively worse.  I have three wired boxes, all connected via ethernet, two have not had any issue.  The third one does and unfortunately is my DVR, Model 2250, The pixelation occurs on live tv and does show up on recordings as well.  Seems very random as far as when it happens, can occur on any channel and then not happen for an hour. I've gone through various diagnostic routines including cold boots, locating the box in the open for best ventilation, but it is now happening often enough to motivate me to find a solution or replacement.

Any recommendations accepted gratefully.

Dan

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: Pixelation on One Box Only

danbrooks - How is it connected to the RG? If cat5, the problem is probably the DVR. But, you could look carefully at the cable & ends to make sure there are no breaks or pins askew. Try a different connection to the RG.

You can swap with another box. If the problem follows the box, you know what that means. If it stays at the location it must be the wiring or RG connection or RG.

You an call in for a remote test. when you have reached that point you could do a reload of the DVR. It will erase your recordings, but you do not have to wait for a new box.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Yes, thank you, cat5.  Has worked fine for a year or better. I'll swap the box with one of the others, while I fully expect the issue to move with the box it is certainly smart to make sure.

Not sure what a "reload" of the box would accomplish, does that require on online tech to send a signal, that sort of thing?  Frankly, if I'm going to lose the recordings I might as well just get another box on the way and live with it until then.  Either way, I'll move the boxes this evening and see how it goes.  Thanks again.

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

danbrooks - Her is the way you do a reload of the DVR in case you change your mind. I recommend it because it worked for me. You may not get the same luck. All it saves is calling in, waiting for a new box, installing the new box, taking the old box to UPS, saving the paperwork that it was returned.

I guess you are taking the chance that it will not load & you will have no DVR til you get the new one installed. Once you decide the DVR is bad, you have to consider your recordings a history, unless you can play them before taking any action.

You must do this on the front panel of the DVR itself, not on the remote:

1. Press and hold down the power button.
2. Within 1 second, also press and hold down the OK and down arrow buttons.
3. All 3 front panel lights (red, green, blue will come on). At this point, release the power button, but continue holding down OK and down arrow.
4. When you see a gear appear on the screen, release OK and down arrow.

The system will reload the factory software from the network. This will take 20-30 minutes, and then the system will reboot.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Professor

Isn't there a non-disaster method of unplugging it several times over to get the same gears?
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support