Phone will not work unless plugged through router

Highlighted
Contributor

Phone will not work unless plugged through router

My phone works perfect through my nvg510 but if I call someone it shows up restricted and people don't answer. I only have 1 phone line in the house. If I disconnect the router and plug my phone straight into the jack...it doesn't work, if I use a filter, doesn't work, if I use a splitter the router works but the phone doesn't, if I plug the phone back into the router...It works. The AT&T insalation guy who came out switched wires in my phone box on the side of the house saying there were two lines and I was connected to one that wasn't activated and the other was and switched it. Don't know if that is helpful. I just want to make calls that people will answer instead of seeing restricted on the caller I.D. Help please.

Message 1 of 6 (456 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Phone will not work unless plugged through router

tragiccreature - The problem is a caller ID problem - Not a problem with the physical install; The phone is designed to work when connected to the modem as you say.

Call in to say your caller ID is not set up right & needs to be changed to show your name so people will answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (448 Views)
Contributor

But yet why will the phone not work in the phone jack. I don't buy that. The problem is the router is blocking it through a firewall or some sort of encription, and even if not a phone should work in a phone jack regardless. If I didn't have internet at all my phone would not work. That makes no sense.

Message 3 of 6 (423 Views)
ACE - Expert

tragiccreature - Only POTS works only through phone wires from the entry to the house. Only u-verse voice works only through the jack on the modem. To see how caller ID works look it up in wikipedia.
Caller ID has nothing to do with the equipment in your house & everything to do with settings in tel co offices.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (415 Views)
Guru

The reason why the phone won't work through the jack and will only work when connected to the router is because you don't have traditional POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) service anymore.  Your phone service is no longer being provided using the traditional methods used before, your phone service is now being provided via VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), the router is what provides you voice service now.

Message 5 of 6 (289 Views)
ACE - Expert

tragiccreature - I, somehow, focused on the caller ID & trparky did not finish the story. To distribute the dial tone found on the router to the rest of the house connect a standard tel base cord from the router phone jack to the wall jack. If the wiring in the walls is correct it will be available on all the house jacks.

It woukd be good to check the NID. If there is a yel jack wuth a plug in it, you should be able to remove it to prevent the outside wires from loading down your connection.

If you want to have a phone at the router location either get a one-line/two phone splitter or a double wall plate & wire the two jacks together.
Message 6 of 6 (281 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.