Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 25, 2013
3:35:11 PM
Phone issues..not sure what problem is

I would say for about the last month, I have had phone issues. Sometimes after I make or recieve a call, the phone stops working. Sometimes there is no dial tone and sometimes there is a dial tone but as soon as you start punching the numbers to make a call the dial tone stays so it's not registering the numbers being punched. 

Also, when this happens our uverse internet stops working.

To correct the problem, I used to reset the residential gateway and everything would be fixed. I have now found if I simply take out the wire that goes into phone slot on the residential gateway and plug it back in that now fixes the problem instead of resetting the whole gateway.

This issue seems to be happening more frequently and sometimes we don't even know that our phone is not working. It will go directly to voicemail and I'm like I was home and the phone didn't ring. 

Anybody know what's going on or experiencing the same thing?

I would say for about the last month, I have had phone issues. Sometimes after I make or recieve a call, the phone stops working. Sometimes there is no dial tone and sometimes there is a dial tone but as soon as you start punching the numbers to make a call the dial tone stays so it's not registering the numbers being punched. 

Also, when this happens our uverse internet stops working.

To correct the problem, I used to reset the residential gateway and everything would be fixed. I have now found if I simply take out the wire that goes into phone slot on the residential gateway and plug it back in that now fixes the problem instead of resetting the whole gateway.

This issue seems to be happening more frequently and sometimes we don't even know that our phone is not working. It will go directly to voicemail and I'm like I was home and the phone didn't ring. 

Anybody know what's going on or experiencing the same thing?

Phone issues..not sure what problem is

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 5:16:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
mchunter78 - Call in & ask for test. They will probably send you a new RG/
mchunter78 - Call in & ask for test. They will probably send you a new RG/
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Phone issues..not sure what problem is

2 of 4 (333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 7:33:18 PM
(0)
Employee
Agree with aviewer, VOIP is controlled by the RG, could try factory reset...unplug RG, depress red button next to power connection while plugging in. RG will take an update, reboot (about 10 minutes), then see if problem persists.

If yes, need new RG.......which unit? Purchased or leased?, if purchased less than a year (warranty period)?

Agree with aviewer, VOIP is controlled by the RG, could try factory reset...unplug RG, depress red button next to power connection while plugging in. RG will take an update, reboot (about 10 minutes), then see if problem persists.

If yes, need new RG.......which unit? Purchased or leased?, if purchased less than a year (warranty period)?

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (327 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 10:45:07 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi mchunter78,

I apologize for the issues you are having with your phone service, but I will be glad to help. With the phone connection, is there a phone plugged directly into the RG, or is it back feeding to a phone jack to provide service to the rest of the house. There could be some issues with the internal wiring causing the phone system to short out, or it could definitely be a problem with the RG.

To test it, plug a phone directly into the back of the RG with a new phone cable. If you still notice problems, it might be the router. What ever the issue may be, I will send you a private message so you have direct contact with us, and we can escalate the issue as necessary.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi mchunter78,

I apologize for the issues you are having with your phone service, but I will be glad to help. With the phone connection, is there a phone plugged directly into the RG, or is it back feeding to a phone jack to provide service to the rest of the house. There could be some issues with the internal wiring causing the phone system to short out, or it could definitely be a problem with the RG.

To test it, plug a phone directly into the back of the RG with a new phone cable. If you still notice problems, it might be the router. What ever the issue may be, I will send you a private message so you have direct contact with us, and we can escalate the issue as necessary.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (300 Views)