Periodic Internet "Outages"

Mentor

Periodic Internet "Outages"

I am satisfied with my Uverse Internet service except for the periodic performance "outages" that I run into every couple of days. By this I mean that it suddenly slows down so much that either the browser times out going to a site or web pages just take forever to load.

I am aware that there can be a number of reasons for things like this, such as congestion elsewhere in the Internet or on a specific server, but whenever it happens I can hardly ping anything on the net. I'll now just stop trying and it usually clears up in 5 or 10 minutes, but it is really annoying and especially problematic if I'm doing something like trying to make a purchase (always scary when you lose a connection while partway through a transaction).

Message 1 of 5 (470 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Periodic Internet "Outages"

rochrunner - Try changing the DNS server in your computer to Google 8.8.8.8. If you enter an alternate - 8.8.8.4. Also, use Google Chrome for browser.
If that does not work report the problem & get it fixed.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (455 Views)
Mentor

The DNS server? Can you please explain how that would cause this type of problem?

Also, although I have done IT work and a lot of networking before retirement, it has been a few years since I got into things at that level. Where would the DNS setting be found on a Windows 7 PC? Isn't this autoconfigured by the gateway using DHCP when I connect to it?

Message 3 of 5 (435 Views)
ACE - Expert

rochrunner - The DNS server translates your request to an IP address. If this is not done efficiently you get delay - from slight to major.

I thought that safari browser & u-verse DNS was very slow. Others also had problems. When I changed the response appeared on the screen as my finger left the button.

Yes, there is something in the RG, but user control is in each computer. Generically it is in preferences under network. I can only be more specific for a Mac.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5 (433 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

I found out how to do it: Properties of the TCP/IP protocol stack. I'll do some more investigating and then maybe try this the next time I see it bog down.

It still seems like it could be a general problem with the capacity of the pipe -- like too many of my neighbors streaming video at the same time. And if I called AT&T on it, I don't know how they would know what to fix for such an intermittent complaint.

Message 5 of 5 (429 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.