Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 3, 2013
8:52:47 AM
View profile
Patch 2 wire into house phone wiring?

My RG is connected to a "phone line". The green jack is plugged into the RG. I have tv but no voice. The RG is connected to a coax wall jack (next to the one in the picture) then my STB is connected to another coax wall jack.

My assumption is that the signal into the RG is from the phone line. The coax goes from the RG to the wall and is then available to any coax wall jack. The other "normal" phone jacks will not bring a signal into the RG as it stands.

I want to move my RG close to another "normal" phone jack. If I unplug the RG and plug a patch from the green to the blue jack in the picture will I then be able to plug the RG into any other wall "normal" phone jack? My RG is across the hall from my internet ready blue ray. I live in an apartment so I can't run cat5 to where I want it. If I could I would. I am a cell phone only so I will never need the phone wiring for phones.

Thanks.

My RG is connected to a "phone line". The green jack is plugged into the RG. I have tv but no voice. The RG is connected to a coax wall jack (next to the one in the picture) then my STB is connected to another coax wall jack.

My assumption is that the signal into the RG is from the phone line. The coax goes from the RG to the wall and is then available to any coax wall jack. The other "normal" phone jacks will not bring a signal into the RG as it stands.

I want to move my RG close to another "normal" phone jack. If I unplug the RG and plug a patch from the green to the blue jack in the picture will I then be able to plug the RG into any other wall "normal" phone jack? My RG is across the hall from my internet ready blue ray. I live in an apartment so I can't run cat5 to where I want it. If I could I would. I am a cell phone only so I will never need the phone wiring for phones.

Thanks.

Patch 2 wire into house phone wiring?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2013 9:11:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Aug 3, 2013 at 9:40:53 AM

petts5354 - If the objective is to provide the Blue-ray a wired internet connection, the simplest way is to connect it to the network jack on the STB with a cat5 cable.

Is the blue jack RJ-45?

To move the current RG connection you have to find where the other end of the wires come together & swap them. Currently, there is connection NID to RG, You need to move the NID wire connection to the other jack so you can plug in the RG to the new jack. While doing this, make sure no other wires extend the connection.

petts5354 - If the objective is to provide the Blue-ray a wired internet connection, the simplest way is to connect it to the network jack on the STB with a cat5 cable.

Is the blue jack RJ-45?

To move the current RG connection you have to find where the other end of the wires come together & swap them. Currently, there is connection NID to RG, You need to move the NID wire connection to the other jack so you can plug in the RG to the new jack. While doing this, make sure no other wires extend the connection.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Patch 2 wire into house phone wiring?

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (347 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2013 10:28:19 PM
(0)
Employee
While your concept is valid, if additional jacks exist you are creating bridge taps which will negatively impact your service.
Petts you are correct in your understanding of input and output feeds but coax connection should only go to currently attached devices.
Non used jacks should not be apart of the system via a coax splitter.

aviewer the blue jack as a phone back feed should be RJ11 but tech may have used RJ45 jack, only wired as phone (1 pair)

Also agree with aviewer that your new desired location needs to be wired directly to NID removing current connection (bridge tap)
If you do not feel comfortable doing this may request a move order at 1-800-288-2020, this is a billable ($99) charge.

Believing your bluray is at same location as set top box, the Ethernet cable from bluray to STB port is valid.
If a different location has the bluray (bedroom instead of living room) then could
1) move RG as described
2) apartment purchase 50ft or 100 ft Ethernet cable, staple to baseboards and around door frames RG to Bluray
3) I's bluray wireless
While your concept is valid, if additional jacks exist you are creating bridge taps which will negatively impact your service.
Petts you are correct in your understanding of input and output feeds but coax connection should only go to currently attached devices.
Non used jacks should not be apart of the system via a coax splitter.

aviewer the blue jack as a phone back feed should be RJ11 but tech may have used RJ45 jack, only wired as phone (1 pair)

Also agree with aviewer that your new desired location needs to be wired directly to NID removing current connection (bridge tap)
If you do not feel comfortable doing this may request a move order at 1-800-288-2020, this is a billable ($99) charge.

Believing your bluray is at same location as set top box, the Ethernet cable from bluray to STB port is valid.
If a different location has the bluray (bedroom instead of living room) then could
1) move RG as described
2) apartment purchase 50ft or 100 ft Ethernet cable, staple to baseboards and around door frames RG to Bluray
3) I's bluray wireless
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Patch 2 wire into house phone wiring?

3 of 3 (297 Views)