Pace 5310NV and multiple xbox360's

Pace 5310NV and multiple xbox360's

I upgraded to Uverse 18Mbps service from 6Mbps dsl. The firmware on the gateway is atrocious to say the least. You can only put one "unit" in the dmz. I put the hardwired xbox in the dmz then configured the port forwarding on the wireless one to xbox specs in an attempt to open my NAT restrictions. Both xbox's will not connect. If only one is online (either or) then it is fine. I contacted att support for I had only had my service for 1 day. I was told I had to pay for a tech support service or they couldn't assist me. I explained I did not for I would cancel my service with no penalty or charge for I was well within my 30 day limit. After about 3 hours on the phone I was instructed to try buying another router and put it in the dmz and connect everything to the new router. Off to the nearest best buy to pick up a Linksys 750 and install it. The 5310 does not have a "bridge mode" The hardwired connections worked fine but the wireless had a constant conflict with the gateway it was plugged into. It repeatedly brought up the page saying router and router had to be configured.....I contacted the Pace co. and was told only one item can be in the dmz and the reason both xboxes couldn't connect at the same time is that the gateway doesn't allow 2 units to utilize the same ports simultaneously.ARE YOU SERIOUS? I removed the Linksys and  turned off all of the security parameters within the gateway and it is working but now I am at risk of being hacked for I have no firewall protection at all. My dsl modem worked fine, letting me put 2 xbox360's and a PS3 in the dmz at the same time. I can not believe the firmware in the pace gateway. No workarounds other than what I have done. Att contacted me the same day to ensure the tech i spoke with provided a good service. When I explained that no one has any idea to correct my problem he went into this spill about how people are working on it but not to expect an answer for up to a couple of months.......really? a couple of months? I will be cancelling my service and going back to dsl if I dont hear back from them by this Friday. No one has a clue what they are selling when I specificaly told them I needed to connect multiple consoles to the internet before signing up. With a restricted NAT I can only connect to a handfull of friends, some of those are over seas, I have 3 kids as well, we all play online. Is there a gateway I can purchase for this Vdsl (that's what the tech called it) Speaking of the tech. he unscrewed the tabs on the phone jack assembly in the house so far that the tabs that hold pressure on the drywall fell off into the wall. Furthermore, he didn't have anything to replace or fix it with. He told me ATT was doing inventory and they were not ordering anything for the trucks. He advised me to put some tape over it to hold it in place until I COULD GO TO THE HARDWARE STORE, BUY A NEW ONE AND REPLACE IT MYSELF. Has anyone been able to get multiple xbox360's online with no NAT restrictions? Or should I revert back to dsl? Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 22 (3,580 Views)
Community Support

Re: Pace 5310NV and multiple xbox360's

Thank you for the update joeyjoejoejoe. I am hoping we can still figure something out to make it all work. With forwarding the same port to two different devices, that is not a Pace issue, it's something that is not possible with any router. The best way to think of a port is like a home address. If 2 houses have the same address on the same block, then who does the mailman know where to deliver it to? The same principle goes for routing. 

With that, is it possible to hardwire your other xbox in the meantime? If so, you can connect both xbox's behind the linksys router, and just disable the wireless on the linksys.

I am still working on getting a Pace 5031 in the labs and will test and keep you updated. I expect to get the results on Monday.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 22 (3,264 Views)

[ Edited ]

No, I can not hard wire the other xbox, it is in the kid's play room. Even if I could, I still would not be able to have both of them connect without NAT issues. That is why I bought the linksys 750 to begin with, so I could put in the Dmzplus zone and not have to worry about the xbox360's for they would have unrestricted NATs. Furthermore, with the linksys installed, the wireless would not work at all(see previous posts). We have 2 iphones, 2 ipads, an ipodtouch, and 2 laptops that must connect wirelessly, therefore going without wifi is a nogo.

Message 17 of 22 (3,223 Views)
Community Support

Hi joeyjoejoejoe,

I apologize about explanation of things. When it comes to routing, you can split the tasks up between routers, so with that, you can DMZ to the linksys 750, and since there does not appear to be an issue with the hard wired connection, you can run the Xbox off that. And with the wireless connection, you just want to disable the wireless on the linksys 750 and run the wireless through the Pace 5031 because there are no issues with the wireless connection going through it.

But with all that, it appears that is not a solution that will work because the second Xbox cannot be connected hard wired. I am still waiting to hear back from my team to see if they were able to connect on their end, and I will update you once I find out.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 22 (3,214 Views)
Highlighted
Community Support

Hi Joeyjoejoejoe,

I have just heard back from my team, and they were able to get the configuration working on a Pace5031 with no issues. They did not have a linksys 750n router, but used another one instead. Other than that, the network configuration went through the setup as described. There could possibly be an issue with your Pace5031 or a configuration issue in the linksys. I can get you setup with a new 5031 if you wish.

Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you.

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 19 of 22 (3,209 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have since returned the Linksys 750n to best buy. What 3rd party router was used in the test? I'll pick one up. Any idea what would cause the dissconnects on the 5310? seems to be an xbox issue only, my wife has not had a problem with her laptop or phone. Perhaps we should start with replacing the 5310 gateway first. Have to hurry with this, my 30 days runs out on the 4th. If I am going to cancel I have to do it before then to avoid being locked into a contract.

Message 20 of 22 (3,205 Views)
Community Support

The router used in our testing was a cisco e1000. Regarding the disconnects, the only thing I can think of is the possible issue with the NAT not being open, because if all other wireless devices work fine, but the xbox is the only thing having issues, we can eliminate any basic internet issues.

I will be sending you a private message to gather more information, so we can take the next step and try to replace that router.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 21 of 22 (3,196 Views)
Tutor

Hey Joe - I don't really like that answer either but am realizing I am in the same boat ... 2 XBOX's one with OPEN NAT the other closed/strict/moderate depending on the game.  No solution other than getting another router, so here's my question for you - got a recommendation for router brand/model that works well and relatively inexpensive?  Like under $100?  Thanks for your help in advance!

Message 22 of 22 (3,080 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.