Ask a question

Posted Oct 9, 2013
    9:27:21 AM
    Pace 5310NV and multiple xbox360's

I upgraded to Uverse 18Mbps service from 6Mbps dsl. The firmware on the gateway is atrocious to say the least. You can only put one "unit" in the dmz. I put the hardwired xbox in the dmz then configured the port forwarding on the wireless one to xbox specs in an attempt to open my NAT restrictions. Both xbox's will not connect. If only one is online (either or) then it is fine. I contacted att support for I had only had my service for 1 day. I was told I had to pay for a tech support service or they couldn't assist me. I explained I did not for I would cancel my service with no penalty or charge for I was well within my 30 day limit. After about 3 hours on the phone I was instructed to try buying another router and put it in the dmz and connect everything to the new router. Off to the nearest best buy to pick up a Linksys 750 and install it. The 5310 does not have a "bridge mode" The hardwired connections worked fine but the wireless had a constant conflict with the gateway it was plugged into. It repeatedly brought up the page saying router and router had to be configured.....I contacted the Pace co. and was told only one item can be in the dmz and the reason both xboxes couldn't connect at the same time is that the gateway doesn't allow 2 units to utilize the same ports simultaneously.ARE YOU SERIOUS? I removed the Linksys and  turned off all of the security parameters within the gateway and it is working but now I am at risk of being hacked for I have no firewall protection at all. My dsl modem worked fine, letting me put 2 xbox360's and a PS3 in the dmz at the same time. I can not believe the firmware in the pace gateway. No workarounds other than what I have done. Att contacted me the same day to ensure the tech i spoke with provided a good service. When I explained that no one has any idea to correct my problem he went into this spill about how people are working on it but not to expect an answer for up to a couple of months.......really? a couple of months? I will be cancelling my service and going back to dsl if I dont hear back from them by this Friday. No one has a clue what they are selling when I specificaly told them I needed to connect multiple consoles to the internet before signing up. With a restricted NAT I can only connect to a handfull of friends, some of those are over seas, I have 3 kids as well, we all play online. Is there a gateway I can purchase for this Vdsl (that's what the tech called it) Speaking of the tech. he unscrewed the tabs on the phone jack assembly in the house so far that the tabs that hold pressure on the drywall fell off into the wall. Furthermore, he didn't have anything to replace or fix it with. He told me ATT was doing inventory and they were not ordering anything for the trucks. He advised me to put some tape over it to hold it in place until I COULD GO TO THE HARDWARE STORE, BUY A NEW ONE AND REPLACE IT MYSELF. Has anyone been able to get multiple xbox360's online with no NAT restrictions? Or should I revert back to dsl? Smiley Mad

Pace 5310NV and multiple xbox360's

21 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (21)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 9, 2013 3:59:22 PM
    (0)
    Expert
    Please see the following thread regarding using an XBox 360 behind a U-Verse router. The work-arounds for using more than one XBox 360 behind the U-Verse router are in the last post.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/XBox-Live-problem-2wire-NAT-is-not-open/m-p/3449081

Re: Pace 5310NV and multiple xbox360's

2 of 22 (2,706 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 11, 2013 11:02:25 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by Joeyjoejoejoe on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:05:27 AM

This doesn't cover the 5310NV that I have.  I have all of the security features turned off allowing any incoming or outgoing coms flow freely leaving me at risk to attacks. I have tried every configuration from recommendations here and on other forums. This gateway is not console friendly nor does it have a true bridge mode. Your reply was a generic responce to my problem and does not apply for look at all of the steps I have taken and review the results.

[ Edited ]
    3 of 22 (2,689 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 11, 2013 4:08:29 PM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Oct 11, 2013 at 4:09:45 PM

Yes, it does apply to your situation, and it yes, does apply to the 5031NV gateway.

Your problem is that to run multiple XBox 360s behind ANY router that does network address translation, you must use UPnP.  This applies to every router in the world, including the AT&T U-Verse gateways.

As was clearly stated in the above linked thread that you did not read, the U-Verse gateways do not support universal plug-and-play (UPnP).  Thus, you will have to follow one of the two solutions in the final post in the thread (which you also did not read) which states:

1. Use a 3rd-party router that is UPnP capable.

2. Purchase and use static IP addresses for each XBox 360.

I do not know how it could be presented more plainly that that, or what is already researched and written in the other thread.  Your problem is that you apparently don't like this answer.

[ Edited ]
    4 of 22 (2,676 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 12, 2013 9:53:52 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Yea, what he said.........Smiley Wink

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 22 (2,665 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 15, 2013 4:57:51 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by Joeyjoejoejoe on Oct 15, 2013 at 7:21:41 AM

That's all fine and dandy but if ATT support and Pace support could't figure out the problem with the wireless not working then what? Router behind router was enabled but wouldn't let the wireless portion of the linksys work. I get the endless loop of enable router behind router screen. Pace says the 5310 does not have a true bridge mode and that could be my problem but did not have a solution. Furthermore, I am constantly getting dropped from xbox live with Nat restrictions errors. Have a solution for either of those? I have yet to see a post with a router behind router working properly for the 5013, can you link one?. The information pages are different than the 510 with some features left out. I don't think I should have to purchase static IP addresses since I have to pay for technical support. Of course when I ordered my Uverse paying for tech support was never mentioned. This is a huge hassle, I think I am better off going back to my original provider with dsl. I can assume you didn't read my post either for I bought a UPnP router and attempted to use it with the 5310 in bridge mode and purchasing static ip addresses was never mentioned in my hours upon hours of tech support via a phone with ATT and Pace.

[ Edited ]
    6 of 22 (2,600 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 15, 2013 8:28:49 AM
    (0)
    Expert

Joeyjoejoejoe wrote:

I can assume you didn't read my post either for I bought a UPnP router and attempted to use it with the 5310 in bridge mode and purchasing static ip addresses was never mentioned in my hours upon hours of tech support via a phone with ATT and Pace.

I did read your post, and the reason it didn't work is because you didn't set it up right.

See the following post for instructions to set up your own router using the DMZPlus feature:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

7 of 22 (2,578 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 15, 2013 12:45:44 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

So......no one has successfully done this with a 5310nv yet....you can say "they are the same" but they are not.......all of these steps in these tutorials are eerily familiar to what I attempted on my own, with ATT support, and Pace (the mfg.) to no avail. Why would the hardwired portion of the linksys work but throw the wireless in to a neve rending loop of "you need to enable router behind router" screens and errors after enabling router behind router and rebooting the linksys as told......

These are diferent gateways with different firmware. Don't you think these things should be brought to one's attention before trying to sell someone their product? I never would have signed up for the service had I known I needed to purchase static IP addresses and another pc. of equipment.....

8 of 22 (2,564 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 15, 2013 3:53:39 PM
    (0)
    Expert

Joeyjoejoejoe wrote:

These are diferent gateways with different firmware. Don't you think these things should be brought to one's attention before trying to sell someone their product?

The firmware functionality is nearly identical in all of the Pace equipment.  AT&T has specified what firmware features should be included and which shouldn't, and as a result, the firmwares are nearly functionally identical.  The screens and options may look different or be rearranged, but the same features are there.  The main difference between the 3xxx series and the 5031nv is that the 5031nv is ADSL2+ whereas the 3xxx series is VDSL.

As far as what should be brought to the customer's attention, why would you think I care?  I don't work for AT&T.

9 of 22 (2,552 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2013 9:01:38 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    So the answer is no, there hasn't been any confirmed reports of router behind router working on the 5013 and even a small difference in firmware could cause a large difference in features and connectivity. You can theorize all day that it will work but so far there is no proof. After countelss hours of online support with Pace, and ATT support the end result was,"I am sorry, adding additional routers to the gateway is not supported". Case closed.

10 of 22 (2,534 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2013 11:06:55 AM
    (0)
    Expert

Joeyjoejoejoe wrote:
    So the answer is no, there hasn't been any confirmed reports of router behind router working on the 5013 and even a small difference in firmware could cause a large difference in features and connectivity. You can theorize all day that it will work but so far there is no proof. After countelss hours of online support with Pace, and ATT support the end result was,"I am sorry, adding additional routers to the gateway is not supported". Case closed.

It's not my job to prove to you or anyone else whether it works or not.  All I can tell you is that every other gateway that 2Wire/Pace has put out on the AT&T system works properly for router-behind-router.  All of the Motorola gateways also work properly for router-behind-router, and all of these are documented in various threads here in the forum.

Thus, the notion that "adding additional routers to the gateway isn't supported" is pure hogwash, which is exactly what I would expect from AT&T phone support, since they routinely give incorrect answers to questions over the phone.

If the "case is closed" to you, that's your decision.  You can either make it work using the instructions provided plus some ingenuity of your own, or you can give up and not have XBox 360 connectivity.  That's your choice, and is not my concern.

11 of 22 (2,527 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2013 12:36:38 PM
    (0)
    Community Support
    Edited by DavidCS on Oct 23, 2013 at 8:59:13 AM

Hi Joeyjoejoejoe,

I apologize for the issues you are having, and I am hoping we can still get this working. 

I did notice that you stated you put on router behind router mode. With our Pace and 2wire routers, there is no per se router behind router mode, so you may be enabling router behind router detection, which you do not want to do. It will produce the errors that you have listed with it just broadcasting stating that there is a secondary router detected.

I think the best thing to do at this point is factory reset both routers, and from your personal router, just make sure it's set to obtain an IP address automatically. From the U-verse router, you should see your router once it is connected. Put it in DMZ mode and then restart your router. Hopefully, this gets everything working.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
    12 of 22 (2,520 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 17, 2013 5:59:32 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by Joeyjoejoejoe on Oct 17, 2013 at 6:01:06 AM

That is what I did, turned off wireless on the gateway, deselected all of the security features on the gateway as well. I put the Linksys in the dmz, rebooted and was able to get the hardwired portion of the lynksys to work but, the wireless portion of the Linksys had a never ending cycle of " router behind router must be configured" coming from the Pace 5310 pop up page. That was the problem no one could help me get past. rebooted the Linksys as instructed, same problem. Considering we have 7 units that utilize the wireless functionality this is unacceptable. The point I am making is the generic workaround for the older routers does not apply here as vehemently defended by SomeJoe7777. Furthermore there has not been ANY confirmation as to this being completed successfully with the 5310. If that work around he linked to worked, we would not be having this conversation. The instructions are simple enough, and for him to say "you are doing it wrong" is furthest from the truth. I have no doubt that has worked on those particular gateways but it does not work on my 5310. A work around for my gateway would be great but until then I have no use for the Uverse service.

[ Edited ]
    13 of 22 (2,495 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 17, 2013 10:20:38 AM
    (0)
    Community Support

I am not sure why you are getting that message, when the router behind router detection is off. I am currently working towards getting a 5031, and will test it on my end. This may just be an issue with the router or a configuration issue. I will let you know once I test it.

In the meantime, with your xbox 360's, are you connecting them wired or wirelessly? If wired, then you can still just keep the configuration, but disable the linksys wireless and use the wireless on the Pace 5031.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

14 of 22 (2,482 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 18, 2013 6:15:23 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

I removed the Linksys all together for we couldn't anything connect wirelesly. If one xbox is hardwired in the dmz plus zone and the wireless xbox360 connects using port forwarding the 5310 will kick them both off. The guy at Pace claimed the gateway will not allow 2 "units" to use the same ports simultaneously and that is why they both get kicked off. The only way to reconnect either xbox is to reboot the gateway for it is restricting their IP addresses. As of now I have both xboxes connected, one hardwired, the other wireless but with restricted NAT settings, therefore, we can only connect with a small group of our friends due to the NAT restrictions. My wired xbox has been dropping xboxlive and then giving me the restricted NAT error from xboxlive when trying to reconnect, no idea as to why this is happening.

15 of 22 (2,467 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 18, 2013 8:14:38 AM
    (0)
    Community Support

Thank you for the update joeyjoejoejoe. I am hoping we can still figure something out to make it all work. With forwarding the same port to two different devices, that is not a Pace issue, it's something that is not possible with any router. The best way to think of a port is like a home address. If 2 houses have the same address on the same block, then who does the mailman know where to deliver it to? The same principle goes for routing. 

With that, is it possible to hardwire your other xbox in the meantime? If so, you can connect both xbox's behind the linksys router, and just disable the wireless on the linksys.

I am still working on getting a Pace 5031 in the labs and will test and keep you updated. I expect to get the results on Monday.

-David T

16 of 22 (2,458 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2013 5:32:58 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by Joeyjoejoejoe on Oct 21, 2013 at 5:35:23 AM

No, I can not hard wire the other xbox, it is in the kid's play room. Even if I could, I still would not be able to have both of them connect without NAT issues. That is why I bought the linksys 750 to begin with, so I could put in the Dmzplus zone and not have to worry about the xbox360's for they would have unrestricted NATs. Furthermore, with the linksys installed, the wireless would not work at all(see previous posts). We have 2 iphones, 2 ipads, an ipodtouch, and 2 laptops that must connect wirelessly, therefore going without wifi is a nogo.

[ Edited ]
    17 of 22 (2,417 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2013 9:10:10 AM
    (0)
    Community Support

Hi joeyjoejoejoe,

I apologize about explanation of things. When it comes to routing, you can split the tasks up between routers, so with that, you can DMZ to the linksys 750, and since there does not appear to be an issue with the hard wired connection, you can run the Xbox off that. And with the wireless connection, you just want to disable the wireless on the linksys 750 and run the wireless through the Pace 5031 because there are no issues with the wireless connection going through it.

But with all that, it appears that is not a solution that will work because the second Xbox cannot be connected hard wired. I am still waiting to hear back from my team to see if they were able to connect on their end, and I will update you once I find out.

-David T

18 of 22 (2,408 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2013 10:06:05 AM
    (0)
    Community Support

Hi Joeyjoejoejoe,

I have just heard back from my team, and they were able to get the configuration working on a Pace5031 with no issues. They did not have a linksys 750n router, but used another one instead. Other than that, the network configuration went through the setup as described. There could possibly be an issue with your Pace5031 or a configuration issue in the linksys. I can get you setup with a new 5031 if you wish.

Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you.

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

19 of 22 (2,403 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2013 11:14:37 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by Joeyjoejoejoe on Oct 21, 2013 at 11:16:35 AM

I have since returned the Linksys 750n to best buy. What 3rd party router was used in the test? I'll pick one up. Any idea what would cause the dissconnects on the 5310? seems to be an xbox issue only, my wife has not had a problem with her laptop or phone. Perhaps we should start with replacing the 5310 gateway first. Have to hurry with this, my 30 days runs out on the 4th. If I am going to cancel I have to do it before then to avoid being locked into a contract.

[ Edited ]
    20 of 22 (2,399 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 21, 2013 11:41:11 AM
    (0)
    Community Support

The router used in our testing was a cisco e1000. Regarding the disconnects, the only thing I can think of is the possible issue with the NAT not being open, because if all other wireless devices work fine, but the xbox is the only thing having issues, we can eliminate any basic internet issues.

I will be sending you a private message to gather more information, so we can take the next step and try to replace that router.

-David T

21 of 22 (2,390 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 30, 2013 3:23:16 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Hey Joe - I don't really like that answer either but am realizing I am in the same boat ... 2 XBOX's one with OPEN NAT the other closed/strict/moderate depending on the game.  No solution other than getting another router, so here's my question for you - got a recommendation for router brand/model that works well and relatively inexpensive?  Like under $100?  Thanks for your help in advance!

22 of 22 (2,274 Views)