Ask a question

Posted Jun 30, 2010
    9:20:01 AM
    PS3 Wired Connection getting only half of Mbps!

So I have the U-Verse router and my computer is wired to it getting about 12Mbps download speed. My PS3 is wired to a ethernet port in my room, that is connected to the router, and is only getting 6Mbps download speed. I also wired the PS3 directly to the router, to see if there was a problem with the port, and still I only got 6Mbps.

I basically bought the higher speed to have a better online play, and so far I'm not getting my money's worth, and getting a it upset with the whole situation. Hopefully someone can shine a light on these problems and figure out what's going on.

Thanks in advanced! :smileyhappy:

PS3 Wired Connection getting only half of Mbps!

10 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (10)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 30, 2010 8:08:54 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

50 views and no replies...? Can anyone lead me to the right track. I would call ATT but I'm afraid they are just going to beat around the bush or just tell me they don't deal with gaming consoles. Any advice to help me fix this will be accectable.

Re: PS3 Wired Connection getting only half of Mbps!

2 of 11 (2,753 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 30, 2010 8:46:15 PM
    (0)
    Expert

Well, if a computer on your network can get 12 Mbps, then there appears to be nothing wrong with the Internet connection.

I'd recommend you ask around in the PS3 forums and see if they have any advice because if the computer can get 12 and the PS3 can't, then it appears that the problem is with the PS3.

3 of 11 (2,753 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 1, 2010 5:37:49 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Ok thank you just did :smileyhappy:

Now do you know if this router supports UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) 3800HGV?

4 of 11 (2,753 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 1, 2010 6:21:18 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

I doubt any game you're going to play on the PS3 will need to download megabits of data per second, so whether the PS3 can get 6 or 12 Mbps won't really matter for gaming.

What is more likely to affect your game play is latency.  Unfortunately U-verse VDSL adds a bit of latency over what you'd have with cable or possibly ADSL.  I don't think there is any way around that other than to change your internet service provider.

5 of 11 (2,753 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 1, 2010 2:15:26 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I am not an expert when it comes to the internet... so I don't know if I have VDSL, Cable, or ADSL. I think we should be on the Fiber Optic line? Does that help at all? How do I figure out which one I'm using?

And ok, I thought that help speed up the game, but it will speed up my downloads when it comes to patches or downloadable content. But I would still like to figure out why my PS3 is only getting half the connection when it should be getting the full 12.

6 of 11 (2,753 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 14, 2012 8:41:28 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

i have a worst problem., I get if lucky 1.2 mb>

called 5 times, 2 techs sent, open ports, online support, and nothing.

they do say that they dont support gaming devices and you gotta shell out 50 bucks, so I told them if its my 2 playstation3, I will pay, but if I see you digging in my gateway trying to change settings, then I know its your hardware and I will terminate the remote seccion and wont pay the 50 bucks."

sure thing he went into my gateway settings, and couldnt fix any, and before I could disconect him, he said that the gateway was bad or the connection because he kept being kicked out, i could see the chat log everytime he got kicked out and back in, must have been like 50 times in 5 minutes.

stil no help or solution at this moment

7 of 11 (1,790 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 23, 2013 10:16:56 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    try going to connections settings and custom settup go threw the settings only change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 try that maybe that will help

8 of 11 (1,200 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 23, 2013 10:18:07 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    8.8.8.8. next line 8.8.4.4.

9 of 11 (1,198 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 23, 2013 10:23:09 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    pluss the ps3 connection speed results are estimates and are provideed as a reference only

10 of 11 (1,195 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 2, 2014 9:13:55 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

the speed test on your ps3 is just a ball park figure. i have u verse 12mbps i have everything set auto , my test on the ps3 shows 11.5 . u can type your own DNS in. but mine shows 6 mbps somtimes. i think your to worried bout it . try putting this in at the DNS 8.8.8.8     second DNS 8.8.4.4

11 of 11 (362 Views)